IW STi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching coilovers for some time in order to convert my setup from springs/stock struts. I have already had the rear struts replaced (klunking) under warranty and feel that it is only a matter of time until the stock struts are gone. The springs I have (GF210s) lower the car quite a bit and take the stock struts out of there valving range. Addtionally, the ride is very harsh and I do not like it.
So, I have been waiting on some new coilovers to hit our shores but have much reservation about being a ginuea pig. With my experience, if there is a nightmare to be had, it will occur in my world. Anyone know what I mean?
On top of everything, I had a great conversation with a well-known vendor on here. He described for me the difference in quality and technology between european coils and Japanese coils. I did not know there was such a difference.
He states that Japanese coil dampers were designed for the smooth tracks/roads of Japan and not for rough road use whereas the european coil manufacturer do make a product more suited for rough roads and tracks. Additionally, the reliability and time between rebuilds if needed is vastly different.
I need some help making this decision! I have many options available to me and cannot decide what to do.

CB

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
I have ridden/driven in many STi's with many different coilovers. The KW V3's are still my favourite.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, they are the king-daddy for price/function. When it comes to suspension, you really do not need to go cheap.

CB

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
eatV8 said:
I have ridden/driven in many STi's with many different coilovers. The KW V3's are still my favourite.
:eek:rly:

But...agreed. KW V3's:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just had mine changed to Tein Flex.
Got a good deal on used one.
I really like it.. I gained more confidence pushing the car Vs. my old GF210 setup on streets twisties (as for now).

I don't know about track use. I guess it's should be similar.
We'll see. I can't wait. I haven't done allignment and corner balance yet as I think I want to raise it a little bit more.

Call me.. I'll give you a ride or even drive it if you want.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
If I hadn't gotten a deal on a used set of ZZYZX's I was going to order the KW V3's. Ohlins Sportlines are another great option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The coilovers I have on my '06 STi are DMS 40mm with comp spring & damping rates...they are inverted struts with 30 bump/rebound adjustments.
Very well made and very strong. Made in Australia but I'm pretty sure you can get them in the US. Excellent ride and superb on the track.
DMS are used by many top rally & tarmac teams here in Australia.
Most Jap ones are too harsh and over-damped for use in Aust so I would assume the same applies to the US.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts