IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did about 20 hot laps @ the local track this weekend...

Overall, the car is very composed and balanced, but has quite a bit of body roll and understeer.

Right now i'm thinking:

Springs (STi, Eibach, Prodrive..?)
STi Lateral and Trailling Links
Cusco Adjustable Sway

Keep in mind, this is primarily a street car, but I would like to reduce understeer and body roll on the track. Will this meet my needs or are coilovers really the only way to go?

Stock, the car was very fun. I'm not looking for a huge change, but also i dont want to spend $800 and see no results in handling.

What coilover options do we have?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Your impressions are consistent with our findings as well; particularly the body roll issue.

With a budget of $800, your best bets would be to go with springs and anti-roll bars (front and rear). I will not comment much on the links as there is quite a bit of division on their benefits amongst enthusiasts and we have not tested them.

There is very positive support for the STi "pink springs" in this board and others. They may be what you are looking for. Again we have not tested them, so I am impartial about them. For primarily street purposes, brand name of the springs won't matter much, quality is similar; the key is choosing the right spring rates.

Anti-roll bars are primarily for fine tuning the chassis setup. Even though they help noticeably, it does not replace the functionality of shocks with properly matched springs.

Coilovers? Well, it really depends on your purposes. If you track regularly, nothing will come close to providing their functionality. If you do not autocross, the Praxis system is receiving good reviews lately, may be because it is new to the market. Coilovers are more flexible than other chassis components in providing ride height adjustments and bump settings, and even in some rebound settings. However, to get their intended benefits on the STi, you need to increase your budget to $1500+. Once you get to that level, you have several options: Cusco, Tein, JIC, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For now, I think I'm going to go with STi Pinks and Anti-Roll (sway) bars (which brand do you recommend?).

Later on, when the coilover market developes for the STi, I may upgrade. But for now, with my skills, i think pinks and sways will fit the bill.

Also, did you fabricate any brake ducting on your car? Got a writeup?

...and you enjoyed the Porterfield RS4's?

Thanks again, i think everyone in the community appreciates your write ups.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
b0rf said:
Thanks again, i think everyone in the community appreciates your write ups.
Thank you very much, you made my day :)

b0rf said:
For now, I think I'm going to go with STi Pinks and Anti-Roll (sway) bars (which brand do you recommend?).

Later on, when the coilover market developes for the STi, I may upgrade. But for now, with my skills, i think pinks and sways will fit the bill.

Also, did you fabricate any brake ducting on your car? Got a writeup?

...and you enjoyed the Porterfield RS4's?
I think your plan is the sensible choice, but again, I cannot really comment on the "pinks".

As for the A/R bar, I would suggest Cusco or Cobb at this time. Cusco for lower cost, Cobb for better performance and weight savings.

As I have posted in another thread, we are looking into fabricating some sort of brake cooling ducts, but the problem is that there is just not enough clearence between the front calipers and the wheel to direct air to the top of the caliper. We are waiting to see how the clearence will increase with 18" wheels, which we should receive in the next 6-7 weeks. For now, pads and brake fluid should suffice.

We have always been quite content with the Porterfield R4S pads. They are about 15-20% noiser than stock, 15-20% less dust, and I think they offer about 10-15% more brake torque (seat of the pants feel). Pads are a very personal choice I have to admit. Any one I know does not want to take the risk of changing out the pads they have used and like. I cannot convince a racer who is using Hawk Blues to change to Porterfield R4 for example, even though they are roughly the same. Nor, I think, I would change, LOL.

So, for R4S, you can give it a try for a relatively cost-effective price, see if you like; if not I'd say go with Carbotechs :) One thing I can assure you is that if you use Motul 600 or Castrol SRF for fluid, you will not have fade problems during HPDEs. They'll get hot, and if you don't have SS brake lines (they will expand), you might get softer pedal feel, but not fade.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Primarily for classing. It puts you in SM, and if one wants to be competitive in that class, several of the priorities is HP on the ground with minimum weight to pull :)

Praxis tries to address several setups at once, and it seems to do an alright job but does not excel in any one area. And adds noticeable weight in the process. So... that's about it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts