IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have stock suspension, with a aftermarket front strut (don't know which brand as I didn't install it).

I would like to, as I bet most of us STI owners, reduce the understeer the car has going into a turn.

There are no race tracks here, so it's street full-time. Occationally I go to tight technical mountain roads in my area, where I feel the understeer is very noticeable, specially when I accelarate going uphill then the car takes it very wide going fast. Going downhill same unconfident feel of not enough grip from the front, this could be from my tires that are in only decent shape as well.

I want to make the car feel more balanced, I wouldn't like to spend the 1500$+ on coilover set like Tein Flex or Cusco Zero, I have a friend selling a Tein H-Tech Spring set (Gold color), lowering the car: F = 26mm / R = 9mm.
Will the Spring set do the trick for me (I have 41,000KM on my car, and on my suspension)?
Maybe go for the Prodrive Spring set? How much do they lower the car by?
Should I buy struts as well?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
A performance Alignment and swaybars will do a lot more to correct understeer than changing springs or going to coilovers.
Order a set of the big Whiteline bars and some Kartboy endlinks see how that feels, and if you still need more then get an alignment.
Or you could do it the other way around, alignment first, then sways.

Oh, and good tires make a huge difference as well.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
I think springs, Group-N tops mounts, and swaybars will give you exactly what you are looking for. If you don't track your car there's really no reason to buy coilovers. With Prodrive, RCE, Swift, or JDM Pink springs, you will have a car that handles very well without sacrificing ride quality. The swaybars will help control body roll and camber curve, therefore improving turn-in response and overall handling feel. Add a set of Kartboy rear endlinks and you will be set. If you are interested, you can check the Vendor Classifieds section, we have several new packages available that are based on our springs.

-Dan

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok-
Checked and the tires have about 10,000-12,000KM on them. Whats the avarage life for Falken AP615 tires on an STI?

Do you know how much does the JDM Pinks and Prodrive springs lower the car by? It's important cause I don't want to lower it by a lot. The 26mm/9mm the Tein H-Tech lower the car by seem OK. I decided not to spend money on C/O's as you suggested.

The Perrin P.S.R.S. - it's worth it? works good?

Ok I'm a little mixed up and I want to buy what I need, I should get F/R Swaybars? Struts as well? What's better Perrin Endlinks or Kartboy?

How much is reasonable to spend on Swaybars?

Thanks again

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
The JDM Pinks lower by about 20mm all around. The Prodrives are about 15mm front, 10mm rear. They are definitely the most subtle in terms of lowering. I would go with the Whiteline ALK instead of the Perrin PSRS. It's basically the same part but the Whiteline is better as far as fitment and quality. Swaybars would make a huge difference in the way your car handles, and both Whiteline and Cobb make very nice bars for the STi. Whiteline is a solid bar and gives you a few size options, whereas the Cobbs are hollow and only come in one size (25mm). As far as endlinks, let's just say we have sold a TON of Kartboys and never had a single complaint.

-Dan

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTWORX.com said:
Whiteline is a solid bar and gives you a few size options, whereas the Cobbs are hollow and only come in one size (25mm).
-Dan
What do I choose the size option by on the Whiteline?

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
i agree with gtworx. either JDM Pinks, Prodrive, or the soon to be released Race Comp springs would be perfect. they all lower the car a small amount and have higher spring rates than stock (not too high though). I would also agree with sways front and rear. i would do the whiteline 27mm up front and the 24mm adjustable in the rear. also since you have an 04 picking up a set of whiteline steering rack bushings would help alot with steering feel.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
What do I choose the size option by on the Whiteline?
If you go to their website they have a product catalog, but basically up front you can use either a 24mm or a 27-29mm and the same goes for the rear, although I think that the 27-29 is too big for the rear unless you like a SUPER twitchy rear end.

-Dan

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking into 3 spring sets:
The Tein H-Tech, the Prodrives and the JDM Pinks.
The Prodrives and the H-Tech's lower the front more then the rear, and the pinks lower the car an inch rear and an inch front, how does that help the understeer?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, and I don't know much about the Tanabe GF210, they are about 50$ cheaper then the Prodrives and pinks, any reason for that?

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
tphss said:
I was looking into 3 spring sets:
The Tein H-Tech, the Prodrives and the JDM Pinks.
The Prodrives and the H-Tech's lower the front more then the rear, and the pinks lower the car an inch rear and an inch front, how does that help the understeer?
I would definitely take a look at RCE's springs. They offer a nice drop with the best performance available. If you are looking for max performance give us a look but if you just want to lower the car for looks than the Teins are best but offer, in our opinion, very little performance.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GTWORX.com said:
If you are looking for max performance give us a look but if you just want to lower the car for looks than the Teins are best but offer, in our opinion, very little performance.
I am looking ofcourse on max performance. I don't lower the car for looks, if it would be possible to have better handling without lowering the car I would go with that route.

I am looking for max performance and minimum lowering. It's low enough as it is already...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts