IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was trying to put in a grounding kit, got all the bolts that i need except one that is on the right of the alternator, things are in the way, so i took this sensor out, got the bolt out and got the grounding kit in. start the car, car hestitates, and hesitates, and started
CEL came on, flashing cruise light
fawk...... must be the catless downpipe. so i drove it, seeing if it has the symptoms such as 'it should drive like normal regardless of the CEL/cruise lights' car won't boost over 0.5 bar, spikes, flutters, limp mode.

tried taking off the negative battery, won't work, tried that battery drain, not working, tried that turn it on position 4 times trick, not working

glad an auto store around sells a innova code reader and eraser, so i think, u know, i erase the code with the reader, everything will be fine.

no, the code can't be erased. it's either a hard code or it just comes back on after erasing.

so i got the P1086 code. through subaru OBD2 codebooks, it's TGV position low, wtf lol

later i realize it's that stupid sensor i took out, so here is the story

the TGV sensor is a spring loaded sensor, it turns clockwise for 90 degrees on the sensor itself. on the car, there is a flathead screwdriver thingy, that doesn't move, so inorder to have the correct position, u need to place the sensor sideways, turn 45 with that flathead and push and bolt on before it bounces back

so i got the grounding kit back on again, and it works good, grounding kit gave a very nice stable voltage from 14.36-14.44, while without a grounding kit it bounces from 13.88-14.36, that i read from the turbo timer, i don't know why my radar reads another voltage, but i guess the turbo timer should give a better reading.

either way, hectic day. from 1pm to 10pm. lol

·
Registered
493 Posts
You must have opened the TGV sensor to get the socket wrench to open the 14mm bolt

I just experienced the same thing :D
P1086 really did freak me out. I could not erase it w/ OBD2 scanner.

I found easier to open the bolt on that is located on South East of the TGV, (I think it was 14mm)
This bolt holds 2 stainless steel lines I believe.
By removing this you should be able to rotate the TGV sensor easier.

Install:
Allign TGV about 45deg left than normal position ( the connector is facing up)
Using the flathead that sticks out from the car (from Intake Manifold) as a screwdriver then rotate 45 deg right so that you could screw in the 2 screws.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP THE SCREWS.
That's it.. Put back the bolt that holds the lines then tighten it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Where did you get your OBD2 scanner and how much did it cost....either one please?

·
Registered
493 Posts
The fastest way is to go to your local Autozone / other local part store.
Ask for Actron OBD2 Scanner (I like this a lot)
should be around $147 something plus tax..

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Mine was $199 and CSK (shucks here, but checker or kragen auto in other places) and got a scanner w/ ODBII and all domestic ODBI plugs. I can scan any domestic after 80-something, and any car after 1996. Codes read in plain english.

check out cskauto.com or autoxray.com

I have the autoxray 2000.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks guys, appreciate it!

·
Registered
113 Posts
thank you THIS POST JUST FIXED MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And damn is it fast again. makes a difference only getting 7lbs of boost and now having 18.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts