IW STi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, need some help deciding which catback to go with. I want something fairly mellow, definately on the quieter side of the catbacks, just something to give it a mean growl. Narrowed it down to cobb, greddy sp2 (don't like the way the evo2 looks), or maybe the SPT. What would you guys say sounds the best and is the quietest? If I'm not looking to do any crazy engine mods, is 3" catback overkill? Like am I going to loose any low end torque by switching to 3"? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
3" imo, is not overkill. Your only going to gain hp & tq. With Supercharger motors, you need a little back pressure, however, the less back pressure trubo'd motors have, the more effeciently the turbo is going to run. If I were you, and you like a "quiet" exhaust, I would look at Turbo XS Stealth Back or the Maddad Whisper... both a 3" all the way and I think the TurboXS comes with a 4" Down-pipe (iirc).

·
Registered
795 Posts
Ill go with the sp2 but thats my opinion, the cobb is great and there both mellow as you described them, however the sp2 gets really throaty at wot.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but do not both of these exhausts begin with a 2.5" taper from the downpipe?

·
Registered
199 Posts
JJ18Sniper said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but do not both of these exhausts begin with a 2.5" taper from the downpipe?
Correct, they both do. It seems like he only wants a catback right now, so both systems with bolt up easily to the stock downpipe, rather then trying to fit a 3" flat flange on a 2.5" donut...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Greddy all the way.

The Greddy is quieter, and is good for over 500whp. The Cobb 3" is just as good for the same power, but I've heard both, and it's louder.

Greddy evo 2, btw.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if I'm on the highway cruising at 70, will I hear it at all? (Cobb). I do alot of highway driving, and don't want it to be annoying. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
My Evo2 doesn't drone at all. Deep mellow tone and quiet too. Just gets real throaty at WOT.

·
Indiatr0n in yo IWDPL
8,577 Posts
Wick16 said:
So if I'm on the highway cruising at 70, will I hear it at all? (Cobb). I do alot of highway driving, and don't want it to be annoying. Thanks.
I have clocked 5000 miles since I put my Cobb Turboback on. Of that, roughly 4800 are highway miles :)

I got "used to" the sound. It sounds stock to me now.

At highway speeds, you won't hear a buzzy, drony, annoying sound, but you will feel a little more bass and there is a deep rumble in the back there someplace. I've been in droney cars, this isn't drone.

I do 300 mile legs in the car all the time; never a headache. And though sound levels are subjective, believe me, I didn't want a loud car either.

·
Registered
373 Posts
when you guys say these two catbacks are quiet exactly what do you mean? Are they quieter than the stock sti pipe or just quieter than other catbacks like the invidia? Is there a site that lists sounds levels of diffrent catbacks? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
3" straight pipe:D . had mrt sounded randy ready for action. god what a headache after 2 hour commute. now race down and greddy evo2 sweet. no drone but def clears its throat on wfo throttle.:tup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts