IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
but how are they on a track for instnance where you brake over and over and over, heat is the mortal enemy of rubber lines

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
yxan2 said:
but how are they on a track for instnance where you brake over and over and over, heat is the mortal enemy of rubber lines
Well I've put them through about 10 minutes of torture and didn't notice a big difference in pedal feel. I can't say how they would hold up to a whole day of tracking.

-st

·
Registered
114 Posts
Singletrack said:
yxan2 said:
Well I've put them through about 10 minutes of torture and didn't notice a big difference in pedal feel. I can't say how they would hold up to a whole day of tracking.

-st
After having a rubber line burst on me during threshold braking from 140mph (was doing it lap after lap), just trust me on this, spend the $90 and get steel braided brake lines. It's a matter of safety if you are into opentracking. The stock lines are fine for autocross and road use.

But having the F40 calipers and Goodridge lines, I like the brake feel even for simple road use. My first (and maybe only) mod will be replacing the rubber lines and stock brake fluid with Castrol SRF.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
here's something we all could consider. is'nt it possible to construct our own lines? AN fittings are available and i'm also pretty sure any type of brake line you ever imagined is also out there. cost wise i'm not sure f it'd be cheaper. i'm also not familiar with the in's and out's of ABS. i think its a valid option.

·
Registered
779 Posts
crashsti said:
here's something we all could consider. is'nt it possible to construct our own lines? AN fittings are available and i'm also pretty sure any type of brake line you ever imagined is also out there. cost wise i'm not sure f it'd be cheaper. i'm also not familiar with the in's and out's of ABS. i think its a valid option.
I would not suggest trying to make your own! A qualified hose/fitting shop that constructs hydralic hoses might be able to make them for you, but they would need to be DOT certified too. With the SS lines as cheap as they are, why not buy them instead of trying to save a couple dollars? Mastro has Goodridge lines for $89 and they are good as any. All are the same as long as they raplace the factory rubber lines.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
i seen people construct brake lines on thier own before. i know the brake line is out there and i'm sure the fitting are too. i just wanted to throw it into the fold as an option. of course for $89 you're right. it might be best to just buy them.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
is'nt the main reason for upgrading to braided stanless steel brake lines to not only withstand higher heat but also to increase brakeline pressure? i know that under high pressure rubber barkelines tend to "swell". braided lines don't do this and in return less pressure is lost from the nonexistence of buldging brakelines. the reward, shorter stopping distances. if you all have'nt noticed i like talking tech and engine theory, i hope no one thinks of me as just a guy who wants to see his name in all the posts.

·
Drive True
6,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
crashsti said:
I dunno...I wouldn't construct something that is a critical part of the car's performance, especially a car like the STi. But maybe you really know what you're doing, more so than Subaru engineers ;)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
crashsti said:
is'nt the main reason for upgrading to braided stanless steel brake lines to not only withstand higher heat but also to increase brakeline pressure? i know that under high pressure rubber barkelines tend to "swell". braided lines don't do this and in return less pressure is lost from the nonexistence of buldging brakelines. the reward, shorter stopping distances. if you all have'nt noticed i like talking tech and engine theory, i hope no one thinks of me as just a guy who wants to see his name in all the posts.

You're exactly right. As the rubber heats up it is less able to deliver pressure without warping.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
i remember a fellow who wrote into a magazine once. he could'nt believe that people would attempt to modify any car from the factory. he was completely under the belief that any vehicle be it a ford or a subaru came from the factory optimized for everything from fuel economy to performance. all i'm saying is that anytime you modify a vehicle from stock you're taking a risk. brake lines are a bigger risk, yes. but with proper knowlegde it is possible to do anything. are the brakelines on the STi designed for optimal performance? yes, but only when taken in correlation to cost. and no, i don't pretend to know more than the guys at subaru. i appreciate the concern though. i'm sure there are guys out there building brake lines out of vacuum hose and hose clamps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts