IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2019 WRB STI Limited
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I've recently purchased a 2019 STI. Long story short, it ended up coming with more modifications than originally thought. So far, everything checks out, and I'm trying to find a shop locally to do a leakdown test to fully set my mind at ease.

The car has basically a Cobb stage 2+ on it: Intake, turboback exhaust, Accessport. There was no Accessport included in the sale of the car (it was "misplaced"). HOWEVER, the previous owner's Accessport is STILL MARRIED to this car, along with whatever map/tune it was running.

As many have pointed out, Cobb has removed the OTS maps for anything over stage 1+.

My ask: Does anyone have a downloaded/backed up copy of the Cobb OTS stage 2, or 2+ map they would be willing to share (along with any map notes)? OR, does anyone know if I can load the 2018 stage 2+ map without issue?

I don't know if the previous owner was running an OTS stage 2+ prior to Cobb pulling them off their website, or if the car was protuned. I have no way of finding out. I DO plan to get a protune, but only after I swap out a couple parts. I have a replacement Accessport in hand ready to marry, but I don't want to overwrite whatever tune/map the car is running if I won't be able to put it back on the car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 WRB STI Limited
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may have a stage 2 OTS maps downloaded... Let me search around. I can also help with a ProTune.
Oh that would be awesome. Thank you!

Maybe I’m just getting old, but I no longer appreciate loud, earth shattering exhausts, so I’m trying to swap parts back to stock for now. If it’s too difficult to find a reasonably priced 2019+ downpipe, I may just leave the Cobb downpipe and get a pro tune.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
761 Posts
Oh that would be awesome. Thank you!

Maybe I’m just getting old, but I no longer appreciate loud, earth shattering exhausts, so I’m trying to swap parts back to stock for now. If it’s too difficult to find a reasonably priced 2019+ downpipe, I may just leave the Cobb downpipe and get a pro tune.
On my sti, I've got a downpipe, headers, and a stock exhaust.
I've also got an inlet pipe, silicone couplers, to the stock airbox.
I too don't want that kind of noise on my daily.
From my understanding, the stock airbox and catback is fine on the stock turbo, and you really aren't leaving much on the table in terms of power.
I'd leave the downpipe on the car and change out the catback.
It will sound stock, but you can still run a Stage 2 tune or tune to that level, so you don't lose out on the power the downpipe adds.
Stage 2 really only requires the downpipe, the catback is just noise.
Stock downpipes are also fetching a premium these days from cat recyclers for their rare earth minerals.
(These prices are i CAD cause Canada), I paid about 700ish for my Cobb downpipe, and sold my OEM downpipe for 1100$, so it more than paid for itself.
I'll also share this photo with you.
Basically, you really don't need/want to go back to the stock downpipe:
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle part Automotive exhaust Muffler

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
7 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 and it also had way more mods then I thought. I also feel like I'm getting old because of the sound, I couldn't drive it everyday. But this is more of a toy for me so I'm going to keep all the exhaust. It came for a stage 2 93 Oct installed.

·
Registered
2019 STI Limited
3 Posts
I have an OTS Stg2 map if you need it.
Hey Josh, would you be able to hook me up with a 91oct stg2 ots map? Last weekend I installed a cobb downpipe, tomei uel/uppipe,tomei expreme ti catback. I contacted Cobb and asked about the stage 2 ots map for 2019 sti and they said they’re still working on maps for 2018+ due to updated emissions restrictions or something of that sort. The tech stated the cobb ots stg 2 map on my 2019 might throw a CEL or run different rather than it being a 2016 with the downpipe. I will not be doing any WOT pulls with my current set up, I just need a map to get me by in the meantime till im done with my mod checklist and get a pro tune.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
216 Posts
Hey Josh, would you be able to hook me up with a 91oct stg2 ots map? Last weekend I installed a cobb downpipe, tomei uel/uppipe,tomei expreme ti catback. I contacted Cobb and asked about the stage 2 ots map for 2019 sti and they said they’re still working on maps for 2018+ due to updated emissions restrictions or something of that sort. The tech stated the cobb ots stg 2 map on my 2019 might throw a CEL or run different rather than it being a 2016 with the downpipe. I will not be doing any WOT pulls with my current set up, I just need a map to get me by in the meantime till im done with my mod checklist and get a pro tune.

Youre making a terrible choice here. You should wait until youre actually getting a pro-tune to install your parts. Throwing on a random OTS tune for a map doesnt do anything for you. Youre going to throw a CEL with any OTS map. If youre getting a pro-tune, perhaps ask for a base map with your installed parts.

·
Registered
2019 STI Limited
3 Posts
No worries its not my first rodeo and not my DD wont be driving it like a bat out of hell lol. I just got the car 2 months ago, and have driven it a total of 4 times prior to installing those parts, in addition to those bolt-ons I installed cyl4mod, iag aos, and upgraded to a koyorad radiator, and ofcourse the renowned cobb ap. After all those installs the car has been burped and driven merely 4 miles with no sputtering or issues and ofcourse no WOT. I make sure to do my research and ask questions prior to tackling new mods and especially since the “ej257” is a new platform for me (coming from a 4b11t) so I talked to a very reputable tuner in my area and mentioned my ideas before installing the exhaust components, my biggest concern was the tomei headers causing afr issues or bad idle, but all in all the tuner said not to worry it would be fine just would definitely not recommend me racing and I was glad we were on the same page because we all know you got to “pay to play”. Anyways, thats the reason i asked about your stg2 ots map just to have better parameters in the meantime while i occasionally take it out for a stroll on the weekend and when the time comes to take the 50min drive to the tuner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up a 2019 STI that has a grimmspeed down pipe and a cobb sf intake. I found the previous owner who traded it and he had said it was protuned, but I'm seeing some engine codes that could be triggered by not having the correct tune on it.
The car may have been flashed back to stock by the dealer and then sent to auction.

The car didn't come with an accessport, so I went ahead and ordered one. In the mean time, is there any way to tell if there is a tune on the car? I do have a scan program that can read trouble codes and do some logging.

Also, does anyone have a OTS map that'll work for a car that has the GS DP and Cobb SF intake, 93 gas?

to note the codes were
p0420 (stored in permanent and not pending)
and P0171

These codes lead me to believe that the car may be running a stock map.
Thanks, and please excuse my ignorance.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
761 Posts
I just picked up a 2019 STI that has a grimmspeed down pipe and a cobb sf intake. I found the previous owner who traded it and he had said it was protuned, but I'm seeing some engine codes that could be triggered by not having the correct tune on it.
The car may have been flashed back to stock by the dealer and then sent to auction.

The car didn't come with an accessport, so I went ahead and ordered one. In the mean time, is there any way to tell if there is a tune on the car? I do have a scan program that can read trouble codes and do some logging.

Also, does anyone have a OTS map that'll work for a car that has the GS DP and Cobb SF intake, 93 gas?

to note the codes were
p0420 (stored in permanent and not pending)
and P0171

These codes lead me to believe that the car may be running a stock map.
Thanks, and please excuse my ignorance.
The P0420 is because of the cat on the downpipe.
The P0171 is a little more involved.
Basically, the new sti's (2015+) have a more efficient casting for the turbo that flows more air.
Because of this, the fuel system isn't cut out to flow enough for the air that passes through if you have a downpipe AND an intake.
That's why Cobb only offers Stage 1 + intake or Stage 2 + downpipe, not all combined.
They aren't comfortable putting their name on a setup that taxes the car that much.

If you are getting those codes, there is a good chance that it's reverted to stock.
Both codes would pop on a car that is tuned stock with those parts installed.
You can tell by how much boost you're hitting if it's tuned, but if it's running lean, I wouldn't be interested in pushing the car to test.

You can get the car protuned to run the intake and the downpipe together, but this will put more strain on the fuel system to do so.
The only proper (safe) way to set the car up is to either remove the intake and put the stock one back, or upgrade the fuel system (pump and injectors).
One is cheaper, one is faster.
If you opt to do the faster option, that's right about where you start thinking about what else you want to throw at the car before paying to have a tune done.
Welcome to the rabbit hole.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The P0420 is because of the cat on the downpipe.
The P0171 is a little more involved.
Basically, the new sti's (2015+) have a more efficient casting for the turbo that flows more air.
Because of this, the fuel system isn't cut out to flow enough for the air that passes through if you have a downpipe AND an intake.
That's why Cobb only offers Stage 1 + intake or Stage 2 + downpipe, not all combined.
They aren't comfortable putting their name on a setup that taxes the car that much.

If you are getting those codes, there is a good chance that it's reverted to stock.
Both codes would pop on a car that is tuned stock with those parts installed.
You can tell by how much boost you're hitting if it's tuned, but if it's running lean, I wouldn't be interested in pushing the car to test.

You can get the car protuned to run the intake and the downpipe together, but this will put more strain on the fuel system to do so.
The only proper (safe) way to set the car up is to either remove the intake and put the stock one back, or upgrade the fuel system (pump and injectors).
One is cheaper, one is faster.
If you opt to do the faster option, that's right about where you start thinking about what else you want to throw at the car before paying to have a tune done.
Welcome to the rabbit hole.
Thanks for the reply.
Rabbit hole indeed..

This isn't my first rodeo with a modified vehicle. I went deep into the rabbit hole with a 2007 Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged, bigger blower, injectors exhaust, pulley, methanol injection etc..

I got a hold of the dealership that took the car into trade and the service records they had on the car was related to swapping out an aftermarket exhaust with the stock one for the customer who traded it. The person who traded it (surprised i found him) said he didn't flash it back to stock, and the car was running great at the time of trade in. So I'm betting somewhere along the line between the car being traded and it being listed for sale at my local dealership (it was sent to auction) someone somewhere did something.

I'm going to go with an e-tune for now to keep it reliable and safe. But that itch for more power is always there.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts