IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at the cobb sf intake and wondering if its a good buy..does it help?, and is it better than other intakes?..also is it necessary or will i be fine without it at all?..sorry for lots of questions.

· Registered
125 Posts
I have it. Is it a necesity? No, not really. Does it make the car sound awesome, heck yes. As far as I can see, there are zero performance gains from it. However, contrary to popular opinion on short rams it doesn't hurt the car either. Its a very easy install. The turbo spool is incredible with the it in. The car "may" breathe better as well. I like it. I reccomend it, if you have 150.00 extra dollars. The money could be better spent on other stuff though.

· Registered
897 Posts
Go with the K&N

I purchased this intake and I recommend going with the K&N! I can't comment on the performance gains/losses between the two, because I could never get the Cobb on my car, However, I can confirm that the Cobb intake is not put together well.

The first Cobb intake I got broke while trying to put my MAF sensor in the bung. The MAF didn't fit into the hole comfortably, and as I was trying to screw it down the square piece designed to hold the MAF pulled away from the pipe. Much to my surprise the square piece that holds the MAF is not welded to the intake pipe, instead it’s glued. Although I was extremely frustrated with the product I decided to give Cobb a second try. They quickly sent me a second intake and apologized for the issues.

I got the second intake a week later, and ran into a similar issue while trying to install the MAF sensor. The square MAF piece was not lined up with the whole in the intake pipe. As a result, the MAF sensor would not fit into the hole. The glue job on this intake was certainly better, but if the MAF doesn’t fit the intake is useless. Furthermore, I wasn’t really comfortable forcing my MAF into the hole, as this part is relatively sensitive, and by no means cheap.

I’ve had the K&N for nearly two years, and can’t complain. It comes with a heat shield, and the crinkle red of the intake matches the engine well. At the same time, the Cobb filter looks a little cheesy in the engine bay. If sound is your goal, the K&N should do the trick. I doubt you would see any appreciable differences in performance between the two, so that really should be a reason for making the decision. The price of the K&N is more, but the intake is just put together better, and therefore worth the extra bucks.

I have pics of the broken intake and would be glad to share them with your. Give me a PM if your interested. As an aside, I would just like to point out that every other product I purched from Cobb has been top of the line. I'm not trying to bad mouth the company, just offering my opinion.

Good luck!

· Registered
2,492 Posts
Pkskull77 said:
I purchased this intake and I recommend going with the K&N! I can't comment on the performance gains/losses between the two, because I could never get the Cobb on my car, However, I can confirm that the Cobb intake is not put together well.

The first Cobb intake I got broke while trying to put my MAF sensor in the bung. The MAF didn't fit into the hole comfortably, and as I was trying to screw it down the square piece designed to hold the MAF pulled away from the pipe. Much to my surprise the square piece that holds the MAF is not welded to the intake pipe, instead it’s glued. Although I was extremely frustrated with the product I decided to give Cobb a second try. They quickly sent me a second intake and apologized for the issues.

I got the second intake a week later, and ran into a similar issue while trying to install the MAF sensor. The square MAF piece was not lined up with the whole in the intake pipe. As a result, the MAF sensor would not fit into the hole. The glue job on this intake was certainly better, but if the MAF doesn’t fit the intake is useless. Furthermore, I wasn’t really comfortable forcing my MAF into the hole, as this part is relatively sensitive, and by no means cheap.

I’ve had the K&N for nearly two years, and can’t complain. It comes with a heat shield, and the crinkle red of the intake matches the engine well. At the same time, the Cobb filter looks a little cheesy in the engine bay. If sound is your goal, the K&N should do the trick. I doubt you would see any appreciable differences in performance between the two, so that really should be a reason for making the decision. The price of the K&N is more, but the intake is just put together better, and therefore worth the extra bucks.

I have pics of the broken intake and would be glad to share them with your. Give me a PM if your interested. As an aside, I would just like to point out that every other product I purched from Cobb has been top of the line. I'm not trying to bad mouth the company, just offering my opinion.

Good luck!
Cobb has a much newer version of their short ram intake. It is basically designed from the Legacy GT intake which has a slightly bigger diameter and most importantly, it has flow straighteners to help do away with turbulence across the MAF sensor. This design has only been out for a few months. You are posting some very old info about an intake that probably isn't made anymore since this one came out. Plus, Cobb has come a very long way as a company in the 2+ years since you last had one of their products. All that I have read about the testing of their new intake has shown some positive reviews. I'm not in anyway trying to bash you, just wanted to let you know about their newer version, which is the one the first guy was probably asking about.:)

· Registered
2019 WRX
4,633 Posts
forget shortram intakes. if you really want an intake, get the APS cold air intake.
It sits nicely in the fender ( not too low so it doesnt suck up water, and not in the engine bay so it doesnt suck in hot air). It matches the red of the intake manifold, and it sounds great also.

· Registered
897 Posts
JDM-STI said:
Cobb has a much newer version of their short ram intake. It is basically designed from the Legacy GT intake which has a slightly bigger diameter and most importantly, it has flow straighteners to help do away with turbulence across the MAF sensor. This design has only been out for a few months. You are posting some very old info about an intake that probably isn't made anymore since this one came out. Plus, Cobb has come a very long way as a company in the 2+ years since you last had one of their products. All that I have read about the testing of their new intake has shown some positive reviews. I'm not in anyway trying to bash you, just wanted to let you know about their newer version, which is the one the first guy was probably asking about.:)
I bought the product in January 06, not two years ago! I was going to replace my typhoon so I wouldn't have to worry about issues with the stage 1 Cobb tune.

After looking at the Cobb website it looks like they changed the product, so my comments regarding the MAF bung do not appear to be relevant. However, I will say that the Cobb intake still does not look as good as the typhoon! It certainly doesn't sound any better than the Typhoon, and I don't buy into the improvment in dead spots argument. From what I understand, the SPT intake does not have those veins, and I would expect Subaru to add them if they made a difference in performance. If the price point is what sold you than so be it, but for 100 extra beans you get a better product; the welds are quality, it comes with a heat sheild, and the fitment and looks are top notch. I know it sounds ricey to buy something for looks, but heck the whole concept of an intake on our car is ricey, so why not go all out.

· Registered
2,492 Posts
Pkskull77 said:
I don't buy into the improvment in dead spots argument. From what I understand, the SPT intake does not have those veins, and I would expect Subaru to add them if they made a difference in performance. If the price point is what sold you than so be it
I do not own one of these. I was simply stating that you were commenting on an older version that is longer offered. The flow straighteners do make a difference. Ask any tuner and they will tell you that well designed flow straighteners make MAF voltage readings much more consistent. Datalogs dont lie. The SPT intake for the WRX has gotten some pretty good reviews while the ones for the LGT have proved to be garbage. Plus you ought to know that Subary doesn't make the SPT intake. They are made by an outside company and Subaru endorses them.

· Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i heard there is no need for an intake yet also..because of the turbo..is that significant..should i wait or get intake now

· Registered
897 Posts
JDM-STI said:
I do not own one of these. I was simply stating that you were commenting on an older version that is longer offered. The flow straighteners do make a difference. Ask any tuner and they will tell you that well designed flow straighteners make MAF voltage readings much more consistent. Datalogs dont lie. The SPT intake for the WRX has gotten some pretty good reviews while the ones for the LGT have proved to be garbage. Plus you ought to know that Subary doesn't make the SPT intake. They are made by an outside company and Subaru endorses them.
They wouldn't endorse them if they didn't work well! They do endorse them, therefore the non veined intakes work well. Show me a datalog that shows the Cobb intake working better than any other? Cobb doesn't put a gaurantee on them becuase the difference is negligible.

· Registered
2,492 Posts
subiesteye said:
i heard there is no need for an intake yet also..because of the turbo..is that significant..should i wait or get intake now
No, not much to gain on the stock turbo, especially without a custom tune. Your best first mod will be a downpipe and a tune.

· Registered
2,492 Posts
Pkskull77 said:
They wouldn't endorse them if they didn't work well! They do endorse them, therefore the non veined intakes work well. Show me a datalog that shows the Cobb intake working better than any other? Cobb doesn't put a gaurantee on them becuase the difference is negligible.
http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39773&highlight=spt+intake
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60461&highlight=spt+intake

Enjoy the read. Keep in mind, Cobb tested the SPT intake for the WRX and had nice things to say about it. The one for the LGT is a different story. And Subaru endorses it. So Subaru backing a product means nothing.

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Pkskull77 said:

Good luck!
Cobb had a few older intakes that did come apart. They are more than happy to resolve the issue you have had. I would either contact the supplier of the intake or Cobb directly. Did you buy the intake new from a Cobb dealer?

· Registered
1,529 Posts
subiesteye said:
Buying an intake that is less of a restriction than the stock air box lets your turbo work more efficiently. You get cooler, denser air since the turbo isn't fighting as much of a restriction. Every little bit counts IMO.

· Registered
897 Posts
STirish said:
Cobb had a few older intakes that did come apart. They are more than happy to resolve the issue you have had. I would either contact the supplier of the intake or Cobb directly. Did you buy the intake new from a Cobb dealer?
They did help out at first, but after the second intake was a bust, they would not send out the third intake until they had recived the second. E.G. it would take two weeks to get the darn thing. Considering the results I had thus far I thought it better to stick with what was working for me.

· Registered
897 Posts

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Pkskull77 said:
They did help out at first, but after the second intake was a bust, they would not send out the third intake until they had recived the second. E.G. it would take two weeks to get the darn thing. Considering the results I had thus far I thought it better to stick with what was working for me.
That is understandable for them to want the second intake back before they sent out another. Why not send back the intake and ask for a refund? Sounds like they were willing to help you, why bash them?

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Pkskull77 said:
Where does Cobb endorse other intakes? What guarantee are you talking about or would want?

What the SF intake does, is keep the flow around the MAF as "stock-like" as possible. No other STi intake, that I am aware of, does a decent job of this. I'm sure Christian would be more than happy to show you how other aftermarket intakes change flow around the MAF in either the intake cal table or, if the turner so chooses, the fuel table.

The typhoon wrecks the intake calibration just as badly as any other intake on the market (APS, Injen, etc) other than the SF intake, making for inconsistent pulls.

The problem with trying to explain this to people who don't understand tuning or are not engineers is difficult given the technical degree of the subject.

That and I suck at explaining topics.

· Registered
1,529 Posts
STirish said:
The typhoon wrecks the intake calibration just as badly as any other intake on the market (APS, Injen, etc) other than the SF intake, making for inconsistent pulls.

The problem with trying to explain this to people who don't understand tuning or are not engineers is difficult given the technical degree of the subject.

That and I suck at explaining topics.
Ahhhh....give it a shot : )

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.