IW STi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market to purchase an EMS and I am absolutely torn. I basically have ruled out the AEM EMS, Hydra and ECUTEK. I have done all my research and I know what each system is capable of and so forth. I have searched around and have read the many threads that are associated with many different EMS. I have contacted many tuners around the nation for an introspective look at the different EMS from a professional's standpoint. Can anyone provide any information as to why I would get one over the other? In terms of what I am trying to acheive, I am not looking for insane horsepower numbers but more along the lines of 400AWHP when all said and done. I have seen many high horsepower Subarus being tuned via the UTEC however the technology comes across to me as archaic but maybe I am wrong. Can someone encourage me in the right direction to make an informed buying decision that will suit my needs. Thanks in advance.

Clark_kent
<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
597 Posts
I say AP, you'll love having it as a gadget as well as a bulletproof EM.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
search search search. Also dont be so sold on street tuner. I will be selling my brand new copy I just got and havent even opened because it is useless with a pro tuned car....

You wont go wrong with the AP!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
2fas4u said:
search search search. Also dont be so sold on street tuner. I will be selling my brand new copy I just got and havent even opened because it is useless with a pro tuned car....You wont go wrong with the AP!!
Your ProTUNER should be able to save your maps in a .stb or .str version so you can start from them. At least that is what we do for the guys that have StreetTUNER.

Take care,
Christian.

·
Registered
3 Posts
utec

I have a AP + ST and is not good for the comunication is like tune your car but have problem with the computer I have my money back and I thing go again with Turboxs but you can try all first and them have you own opinion because AP look like adapter for you ecu and this you can do with tactix.com for $96 plus free software (tuning/flashing/ect.) thing a little and let me know right now all this forum have between the eyes the AP for make your own....

·
Registered
323 Posts
the factory ecu works great, why ruin it with a utec?

2002 called, they want their "engine management" back

AP > UTEC

·
Registered
46 Posts
PRINCIPE said:
I have a AP + ST and is not good for the comunication is like tune your car but have problem with the computer I have my money back and I thing go again with Turboxs but you can try all first and them have you own opinion because AP look like adapter for you ecu and this you can do with tactix.com for $96 plus free software (tuning/flashing/ect.) thing a little and let me know right now all this forum have between the eyes the AP for make your own....
Is that English? I have no idea what was said here.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think his period and comma key was not working so he just put it in all one big sentence...

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I think you will find an overwhelming amount of COBB fans here.....for good reason. Get the AP & ST, you will NOT be dissapointed!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Clark_Kent said:
I am in the market to purchase an EMS and I am absolutely torn. I basically have ruled out the AEM EMS, Hydra and ECUTEK. I have done all my research and I know what each system is capable of and so forth. I have searched around and have read the many threads that are associated with many different EMS. I have contacted many tuners around the nation for an introspective look at the different EMS from a professional's standpoint. Can anyone provide any information as to why I would get one over the other? In terms of what I am trying to acheive, I am not looking for insane horsepower numbers but more along the lines of 400AWHP when all said and done. I have seen many high horsepower Subarus being tuned via the UTEC however the technology comes across to me as archaic but maybe I am wrong. Can someone encourage me in the right direction to make an informed buying decision that will suit my needs. Thanks in advance.

Clark_kent
<!-- / message -->
The methodology of tuning a UTEC does seem obsolete, but the results do speak for themselves....especially now that it supports speed density tuning. Accessport & Street Tuner are very capable as well, however it is still limited by requiring the use of the MAF and no ability to go to speed density (unless I'm wrong here...someone correct me if I am). So the question then is will your setup require speed density tuning capability? Will you be going with a rotated setup? If the answer to those questions is yes, then UTEC is a better choice. If the answer is no, then AP/ST should get you buy. Like another poster stated, there is the option of using a tactrix cable ($91 www.tactrix.com) and Enginuity/EcuFlash software (free) and getting your car tuned via reflash.

The reason I like the tactrix route is that it is inexpensive to get started with and should your setup advance beyond your current plans, it can be used in conjunction with a UTEC.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tjamz said:
The methodology of tuning a UTEC does seem obsolete, but the results do speak for themselves....especially now that it supports speed density tuning. Accessport & Street Tuner are very capable as well, however it is still limited by requiring the use of the MAF and no ability to go to speed density (unless I'm wrong here...someone correct me if I am). So the question then is will your setup require speed density tuning capability? Will you be going with a rotated setup? If the answer to those questions is yes, then UTEC is a better choice. If the answer is no, then AP/ST should get you buy. Like another poster stated, there is the option of using a tactrix cable ($91 www.tactrix.com) and Enginuity/EcuFlash software (free) and getting your car tuned via reflash.

The reason I like the tactrix route is that it is inexpensive to get started with and should your setup advance beyond your current plans, it can be used in conjunction with a UTEC.
Thanks for the insight and all others as well. I most likely will be going rotated in the way of a GT30R but at this point I am not completely sure. If not I probably will go 20G or FPGreen but again I am not sure. All in all it seems as though Cobb sounds like a good idea for me but I don't want to have to get another EMS if I decide to go rotated. Thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts