IW STi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i know cobb has released info on their tmic but i don't see the point in upgrading to another top mount. i watched the hspn video interview with cobb and the owner mentioned they have a fmic in development and showed it on one of their 06 sti's. anybody know anything about their fmic??

http://www.hspn.tv/?videoid=55&catid=5

·
Registered
852 Posts
There was a post a while back concerning it, and I have personally talked to Cobb about it, but about all I got out of them was it was still in development and being tested on a few vehicles including the TA car. I'm sure there will be an influx of info once it's done, just be patient.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Wait for it to be released then wait for Version 2 when the bugs are worked out...think dp, sways, short-ram, end links, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Apparently the TMIC is going to range between 950-1100... I'd be scared to see the price on the FMIC offering

·
pwn n00bs
18,247 Posts
i think it'll be 1300-1400 around APS prices. the aps tmic is around the price mentioned for cobb's tmic isn't it?

i'd love for cobb to have the fmic a perfect size minus all the hacking needed for the APS + have a cold air intake fit with it (design one cobb! with larger diameter like the big maf)

basically..perrin's fitment with a cai = ftw.

·
Registered
102 Posts
VSGTS14 said:
i think it'll be 1300-1400 around APS prices. the aps tmic is around the price mentioned for cobb's tmic isn't it?

i'd love for cobb to have the fmic a perfect size minus all the hacking needed for the APS + have a cold air intake fit with it (design one cobb! with larger diameter like the big maf)

basically..perrin's fitment with a cai = ftw.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64794

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
APS' TMIC is considerably cheaper then Cobb's unit... but the designs are very different.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
VSGTS14 said:
aps use to be that high though wasn't it? maybe i'm seeing things.
Yeah I think they were higher at one time, but have come down in price a bit.

·
3,274 Posts
The Cobb's design is supposed to be much better then the current TMICs with a different fin design inside and using different design then the current Y-pipe uses on the stock TMIC and others. The design is supposed to offer greater cooling efficiency and much less pressure drop then other units.

Their TMIC core will be 705.6 in^3 which is a pretty good size. If it can cool as efficiently as they are claiming it will then it sounds like you'll get most of the benefits of a larger FMIC (larger cooling volume, less pressure drop then stock, etc) with the benefits of a TMIC (better throttle response/less lag.)

I'm waiting on the sidelines to see what it can do. If their TMIC can do what they claim it will do then I think it will be a fantastic upgrade for a smaller turbo (stock, 20G, maybe even a non-maxed out FP Green.) It would help make a monster daily driver setup. While it is expensive for a TMIC if it can do everything they claim it can do I think it's worth the premium. Especially for something that should be an easy install and won't require me to take apart my car/hack apart my bumper beam, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
^^ If Cobb continues delaying the current TMIC... APS is your best bet as far as TMIC's go.

·
3,274 Posts
JJ18Sniper said:
^^ If Cobb continues delaying the current TMIC... APS is your best bet as far as TMIC's go.
Fortunately I'm not in a rush to upgrade turbos or ICs anymore so I can wait it out. :)

If I go with a 20G in a year or so and the Cobb FMIC still isn't out then I'll look at the APS TMIC or DR525. For now I'm just going to keep the car auto-x legal for STU which means keeping the stock TMIC.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
I'm debating between settling on the APS TMIC, or waiting another month for the Cobb unit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts