IW STi Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its like the first thing everyone says when someone asks about mods, no one likes Utec?? cause thats the way i plan on goin when i start buyin toys for me car.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Not a lot of people like UTEC because it isn't a reflash. It is a piggyback system that kicks in when it has to adjust things. Plus it isn't as refined as Protuner software which allows a tuner to access just about all of the ecu parameters. UTEC is rather course for larger turbo upgrades IMO. That is another reason why you see a lot of UTEC users using Ecutek tuning under it. Then they use the UTEC to offer the ability to switch maps for different thing like race gas. I had a UTEC on my 03 WRX and I did not like it at all. It was always late to kick in and adjust timing when my car would knock at around 5000 rpms, and of course any knock event could be bad at the power levels I'm at now. Cobb offers you the best of both worlds for a lot less in cost.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,563 Posts
page2334 said:
Its like the first thing everyone says when someone asks about mods, no one likes Utec?? cause thats the way i plan on goin when i start buyin toys for me car.
utec is not the best choice but it is a completely acceptable choice. it was useful in the beginning when there was little else and never caught on here because of its reputation as having a rough transition with the stock ecu and because cobb ap provided a more ecnomical no-brainer solution for a majority of folks.

when street and pro tuner were released and, more importantly, accepted, it solved the whole problem as far as the stock ecu is concerned for professional tuning. as a standalone solution for mega projects, hydra nemisis is the best answer so far.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry about the fanboy thing, just wanted allot of replys, just with what i seen around home, most the utec guys make more power then the cobb does, hell most the cobb guys wont race me and a few of them have burned up their ecu with the AP, main reason for me goin utec is cause i got a friend that will dyno tune it for damn near nothing and his tunes are great, hes high boost map went 12.2 on stock turbo without launchin

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Well this site isnt about racing but if you were looking for an Educated answer like nandanrp said, "I think Ninja nailed it on the head."

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
page2334 said:
sorry about the fanboy thing, just wanted allot of replys, just with what i seen around home, most the utec guys make more power then the cobb does, hell most the cobb guys wont race me and a few of them have burned up their ecu with the AP, main reason for me goin utec is cause i got a friend that will dyno tune it for damn near nothing and his tunes are great, hes high boost map went 12.2 on stock turbo without launchin
:lol: errr, I'll believe that when I see it if you are referring to a stock turbo'd STi.

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
there's a reason cobb has a lot of followers. It's because their accessport is the easiest, and probably the best non-standalone em out there, and many of their other products are some of the best out there.

·
Registered
693 Posts
no reason to lie to the ECU when you can tell it the truth and make it what you want.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
page2334 said:
well we call a 2.0-2.1 60' no launchin, but yes 12.2 on stock sti turbo
Would REALLY like to see a time slip, or even list of mods to start with...

·
Immoderate
5,702 Posts
page2334 said:
I'm......

....speechless.

Your sig on the other hand speaks volumes. Good luck with your new car, and be sure to check out the clutch and axle threads in Drivetrain.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Come on man 12.2 with a 2.0 60 ft...the track clock must be very forgiving. What do stock STIs run on this track? There's a thread under general asking what's the fastest stock turbo STI. So far its 12.3. I'd have to see this to believe it, and I've never heard of anyone burning up an ecu from the Cobb AP. I've heard of them messing up the ecu by not doing things the correct way, or by disconnecting them during a flash, but its always associated with incorrect usage. Plus I'm willing to bet that the reason most UTEC users are faster than Cobb guys where you live is because they are getting tuned. I know Ron at Axis tunes UTEC. The nearest Cobb Protuner to where you live is riftswrx in Chicago. Where do you live in MO? I suggest you find MuffNBluff on the boards and see if he wants to run you at the track. He was recently protuned.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
eatV8 said:
Would REALLY like to see a time slip, or even list of mods to start with...
i'll see if he still his it, hes done sold the car tho,and got a new 9:crying:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
cobb customer service FTW....another primary reason why people love cobb products...not just the AP...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wdb said:
I'm......

....speechless.

Your sig on the other hand speaks volumes. Good luck with your new car, and be sure to check out the clutch and axle threads in Drivetrain.
its not new, i was the first to buy an 06 in KC, August 13, 05, its got over 30,000 miles on it, no doubt i drive the piss out of it **** will break:tup: i autocross alot, drag race a little

my clutch feels as strong as the day i got the car
that 13.4 pass was when i first got the car, its been talked about in KC that my car could break 12's bone stock:eek: im not sure but im goin to give it a shot this friday:tup:

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Good luck with hitting 12s stock, but I don't see a 12 second car with the numbers your at now. You're already pulling off a 1.8 60ft.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.