IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Vendor
329 Posts
Tomei EL Header it appears. I put the Cobb catback on everything, customers love it. Great fit and finish along with tone.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard Tomei EL header on Cobb and sounded nothing like that.

I will agree Cobb has a great finish, but not a pleasant tone. I even remember when Cobb installed it, gave me my money back when installing Corsa, and even admitted how much better it sounded, and a lot less bassy note!!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I personally don't like the Cobb exhaust at all for the VAs. I had one and got rid of it within 3 weeks for th Corsa.

Mine didn't sound like this, but if it did, I would have gotten rid of it in one day!

What did he do? Sounds awful.

Bucky Lasek's 2016 Subaru WRX STI - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube
I agree, sounds horrid.. maybe its the mic that's not good quality ...

I have the cobb tbe and im lovin the tone and no drone what soever

·
Registered
232 Posts
All 3 of the STIs at my house have the Cobb. Sounds good with UEL headers/catless DP. A little drone on my 15 compared to my roommates 05..

My 06 has Tomei ELH and the Cobb and I absolutely hate the sound.
I'm looking to change it to Killer B ELH and Tomei Expreme.... if anyone wants a brand new Cobb CBE for a GD..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Vendor
329 Posts
I have heard Tomei EL header on Cobb and sounded nothing like that.

I will agree Cobb has a great finish, but not a pleasant tone. I even remember when Cobb installed it, gave me my money back when installing Corsa, and even admitted how much better it sounded, and a lot less bassy note!!!!
Mod list notes a Tomei uppipe so assuming header as well as I have never seen the UP sold by itself being that it is 3-bolt. Tomei works pretty well but you do get a really tinny sound that comes from up. KillerB or HKS sound the best by far from the EL header perspective.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm looking to change it to Killer B ELH and Tomei Expreme.... if anyone wants a brand new
I have a built STi running 477whp, so that may make a huge difference, ELH Holy Headers is what I have and I had a Tomei expreme with catless DP. I Will tell you this, it is very loud (just sound alone) but it does sound good. From 1k rpm to around 2.3k it sounds like a cummins turbo diesel as I could hear my spooling a lot.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a built STi running 477whp, so that may make a huge difference, ELH Holy Headers is what I have and I had a Tomei expreme with catless DP. I Will tell you this, it is very loud (just sound alone) but it does sound good. From 1k rpm to around 2.3k it sounds like a cummins turbo diesel as I could hear my spooling a lot.

That's exactly what I want. Do you happen to have any videos/pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no, it' the catback. I had Tomei ELH and they sounded awesome on my GR, with different catback. Frankly, none of the dual (Y-pip) setups sound as good with ELH or even UELH.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Tomei ULH, Invidia DP, GS Uppipe with the Cobb CBE on the VA actually sounds really good. Deep & not too loud with minimal drone while i have the same setup with the Corsa and boy is it so much louder

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Tomei EL Header it appears. I put the Cobb catback on everything, customers love it. Great fit and finish along with tone.
Sorry to drift off topic, but what do you use for a gasket between Cobb Downpipe and Cobb Catback? Hard to tell if they supply a gasket, but I have had leak problems with my 2018 STI using Cobb DP and the STI Performance Catback. I should be receiving a Cobb Catback today and want to have the best chance at getting it right the 1st time.

I have the Killer B Header and Up Pipe and have heard a few clips that sounded decent. For me, it's hard not to choose Cobb Products because they have been pretty solid across multiple platforms, for me. The only thing that confuses the crap out of me is why they downsize the flange for factory exhaust, instead of leaving it 3" and providing a stepdown gasket. Isn't their Catback 3" at the flange???

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Sorry to drift off topic, but what do you use for a gasket between Cobb Downpipe and Cobb Catback? Hard to tell if they supply a gasket, but I have had leak problems with my 2018 STI using Cobb DP and the STI Performance Catback. I should be receiving a Cobb Catback today and want to have the best chance at getting it right the 1st time.

I have the Killer B Header and Up Pipe and have heard a few clips that sounded decent. For me, it's hard not to choose Cobb Products because they have been pretty solid across multiple platforms, for me. The only thing that confuses the crap out of me is why they downsize the flange for factory exhaust, instead of leaving it 3" and providing a stepdown gasket. Isn't their Catback 3" at the flange???
i mated the cobb db to an STI perfromance axle back and reused the existing gasket. i dont recall the DP coming with a gasket, but if you bought both then it may.

i also had an exhaust leak that i think was caused by not torquing the nuts where the turbo and downpipe mate first. Instead, i wrongly tightented the DP to the axle back first.. apparently order matters here..

instead of messing with the turbo bolts again, i simple threw a donut gasket between the dp and axle back.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
enoxard you and I discussed this last year when I fitted my COBB Downpipe, but I ended up with a leak, regardless.

I’m planning to install my Cobb Catback today because the SPE sounds terrible now that I have the Killer B Holy Header and Up Pipe. Hopefully I get a better result than before. Confusing because Rally Sport Direct shows a 4th gasket (pictures) with the Cobb Catback that Cobb doesn’t list in the kit. It almost looks like a flanged donut gasket that reduces 3” to 2.5”. Still not sure why Cobb makes a 2.5 reduction on the DP when their catback in 3”???

·
Registered
445 Posts
enoxard you and I discussed this last year when I fitted my COBB Downpipe, but I ended up with a leak, regardless.

I’m planning to install my Cobb Catback today because the SPE sounds terrible now that I have the Killer B Holy Header and Up Pipe. Hopefully I get a better result than before. Confusing because Rally Sport Direct shows a 4th gasket (pictures) with the Cobb Catback that Cobb doesn’t list in the kit. It almost looks like a flanged donut gasket that reduces 3” to 2.5”. Still not sure why Cobb makes a 2.5 reduction on the DP when their catback in 3”???

It’s for broadest compatibility with other exhausts including factory. I have the whole Cobb suite from intake to DP to Ti exhaust mated with Holy Headers. I’m at a conservative 425whp and 2.5” is not holding power back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Agree with above - compatability

* Cobb only offers catted DPs.
The cat is ahead of the neck down and it is a far greater restriction making the neck-down inconsequential. Also as exhaust cools it contracts. (which is why you want to keep it hot till after your turbo). But it is cooling, and by the time it reaches the neck-down there is less volume and yiu don't need the same size piping.

I'm pretty sure that if your car is "high power" and cat-less you will see a difference. How much will depend on how high power it is. I think of 400 as being the level where it might start to make a significant difference.

My car is Cobb, catted, and significantly under 400. I'ts a GD with Tomei ELH and Cobb Cat back. It sounds ok. I'm not in love with it. It's a little "fat" and loud, Definitely aggressive. Cars get out of the way which I like. It sounds more like a Porsche than anything else. I wouldn't pick it sound wise - but I'm not about sound.

The header was available and cheap. It's been wrapped for four years and 45K miles with 1/4 on salted roads and it's perfectly fine though it seems the under-tray may flex, touching the header and just now needs to be re-wrapped. In fact its off the car now which is why I know the header is perfect. When I get the pictures up I'm going to post in its own thread as a data point for people who are choosing headers and how to handle heat retention.

The Cobb Cat back is 7 years old and has 125Kish miles on it. Fit perfect, still has barely any rust. If it sounded as I like, I'd be in love with it. IAG did a nice job of welding in a corrugated stainless flex pipe for my waste-gate into the DP. It's holding up too :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts