IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up guys. im fairly new here. i mostly been reading up on some of the things you guys have been talking about and that actually been taking alot of my time. since this is my first subbie im trying to learn as much as i can about the car and what mods to do, so i don't really have time to relpy or post msgs yet. but now i have a problem and hopefully someone here maybe be able to help me. To make long story short i just bought the accessport for the 2006 sti off of ebay. it was used ( i know you guys are prolly saying what were you thinking) but i got a pretty good deal on it. when i got it i up loaded the new real time maps to my accessport and it went smoothly. however when i went out to the car and tried to initialize the AP, it wouldn't turn on using the diag port to serial cable. first i thought maybe i missed a step so i went back to the manual and read it 10000000000 X 10000000 times. but to my surprise i followed the instructions perfectly. however i had an ac to dc converter that i used for my laptop on my old car so i used that and the 5v power connector and it worked. i tried the whole initializing thing and when i got up to the part about choosing the map i wanted to flash it told me to turn the car off and on again then press ok. so i did that except when i turned the car off the ap also turned off. when i turned the car back on again it went back to the firs screen that says "choose a map to be flashed" or something like that. now all of you guys who has the ap did your ap turn off when you guys had to turn the car off and on again before initializing the ap. and also does anybody know if i could get a new cable maybe from cobb or some where else that might work for the ap. i already emailed cobb but didn't get a response yet. its the wknd so im thinking i won't hear from them untill monday at the earliest. i need your help. sorry if this is a really really long question but i wanted to make sure i give as much info so we don't play the whole back and forth back and forth q and a game. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
The good news is that it sounds like your AccessPORT is usable (buying one off ebay is scary, IMHO, unless they have a picture that shows that it is unmarried).

To address your problem, it sounds like you possibly have a cable problem. It could end up being a serial port problem with your AccessPORT. The easy way to check is to download and try to use the free software logging program called ECUExplorer (google search TARI Racing Software). IF you can get that software to work with your cable then you know that it probably isn't a cable problem.

Yes, when you flash a base map you have to turn the car off then back on and press OK. That is normal. Given that you were using an inverter, the AP turned off because the accessory plug turns off when you turn the car off.

Don't e-mail Cobb. Just give them a call and they will tell you exactly what to do.

t

·
Registered
762 Posts
Did I understand you correctly, are you saing you plugged in the A.P. to just some random plug you had lying around? The Access Port is supposed to come with a power adapter so that you can used it with A PC. If you didn't get that plug, or the plug to connect it to your PC you got ripped off!!!! If you are having problems with your flashes (e.g. over boosting or under boosting) you need to download additional maps.

Secondly, did you say you used the random power plug outside, to power the AP while you tried to flash your car? If you AP is not turning on with the cable it came with you shouldn't be trying to flash you car. If anything goes fowl while your flashing a map the consequences could be pretty bad. If the cable is not providing power, it may not be connect to other vital prongs on the data port. Do not try this again!

The easy way to check is to download and try to use the free software logging program called ECUExplorer (google search TARI Racing Software). IF you can get that software to work with your cable then you know that it probably isn't a cable problem
+ 1 Get tari racing software and see if you cable works! If you don't have a lap top, try to find someone local who has an AP and ask to borrow their cable. If your AP initilizes your cable is busted. If the cable doesn't work, than you've got bigger problems.

Don't e-mail Cobb. Just give them a call and they will tell you exactly what to do.
Finally, call Cobb! I'm not sure if they will warrantly the cable, since you didn't buy it from them. However, I'm sure they would be glad to sell you one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey whats up guys. thanks for the help. i did use the suppllied power adapter in conjunction with the ac to dc converter that plugs into the power outlet. and i will give cobb a call on monday since its the wknd. i did use the tari software to see if i could datalog it and it did work. i hope its not my ap :eek: !!!!!!!! and its the cable. does anybody live around baltimore maryland that has an ap that i might be able to use the their cable to find out if it is my cable not my ap. again thanks for you help guys.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I had a problem with my cable for my accessport as well. I called the company that I bought it from (PDX) and they exchanged my cable with another one. Then I flashed my ECU. If the cable by itself is not providing power to your accessport then you are probably not connecting to your ECU. So order up another cable for your accessport and try reflashing with that. The manual says that if the accessport turns on with outside power source, chances are it is propperly functioning; this was the case with my particular accessport. So dont worry, and get another cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts