IW STi Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Jason, with all due respect your one dyno graph doesn't mean the VF turbo can't make more than 370 at the wheels. There are a ton of dyno graphs that show they can. Is it common, no but look into the proven power bragging section of Nasioc and you'll see for yourself what other tuners have done with VF turbos. Obviously there are usually quite a bit of supporting mods, so it isn't stock car on E85 but VF39 and VF43 have both made not only 370 but beyond 400 on E85.

The 2015 WRX, with its tiny lil twin scroll, has made near 400 on ethanol by a couple tuners. And that is with very minor supporting mods like a downpipe and an intake. So what makes you think that a larger turbo in an STI can't?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Now if anyone was interested, my car was tuned on the waaaaaaayyyyy happy dyno today :) Only had time for 91 tune and it ended up making 315 whp/ 299 tq @ 16 psi. Car was leaning out towards top end and my IAT were at 160. The first pull was at 309 hp/ 283 tq, the second pull was what I listed, and every subsequent pull dropped power ending at 265/ 240. Heat soak was much more prevalent on this day than it was on my first dyno tune. ETS FMIC is on order, if anyone is interested in JDM multi color fogs I'm selling them for $500. Temp was 104 during tuning and fans were simply not getting the job done. A fairly heavily modded Legacy GT was also tuned and it showed similar symptoms except power was about 20% less. His FMIC is also on order lol. I went with ETS, and found a buyer for my GS top mount. Now all I need is an exedy twin disc and I'm all set. On that note if anyone is interested in trading me a 400+ whp capable clutch, you can have my warranty replacement Cavalli stage 2 in return for it. They run about 1700 new.

Oh and the Cobb 20g was spooling around 4200rpm on the dyno and 3800 on the street. Nice thing about an external gate is you can hear and see exactly when your getting into boost. The Cobb turbo held boost to redline and picked up about 30 more whp and tq early in the power curve compared to the previous turbo. As soon as the front mount arrives, i'll be getting re-tuned on 91 and ethanol for free. Shop installed my Cobb 20g and tuned on 91 for free today so that was very nice of them. Soulless performance definitely stands behind their customer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oh god. How does less torque, less boost, less everything come out even pretty close. I can say from experience, they aren't. Not really worth the reply :(
I never said less boost. Most, if not everyone, making that kind of power with a VF is pushing past 20 psi. Does that mean I would do it...nope. But to each their own. Im also only referring to peak numbers which can be very deceiving to the entire power curve. A 20g or any Blouch Dom will absolutely own a VF turbo, no question about that. But the peak numbers have been shared numerous times and VF have surprised alot of people including myself.

On that note, i will take my customary 2-3 month break from both Nasioc and IWSTI since the troll level has reached my limit.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Show me a bolt-on, VF39 car making over 400whp and I'll show you an improperly calibrated dyno. There are a couple REALLY pushing it around 350-360 and those guys are setting VF records. Unless you're talking about some of the fully built cars with stand alone EM and whatnot, you just aren't going to get to those kind of numbers on a VF39.

Your shop is using some wildly high correction factor if they're pushing 370whp regularly with bolt on, stock turbo cars.

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts
Post these "common" 370+whp VF39 setup. I am pretty well versed in what the VF39 can do and what other tuners are doing with them.

Why are you wanting to run a FMIC on a 44 lbs/min turbo?

As for the troll comment... Currently, you are being perceived as the troll with some wild claims that many of us are very well educated on.

This is a Forester XT I tuned last week. It has a VF48 on E85 and found it was holding boost up top a little better than most VF39's I've seen. The timing could be pushed a little higher, however, this is pretty healthy and probably closer to your "common" STi turbo on E85.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Fwiw a 93 pump gas dom 1.5xtr can barely hit 360 - 370whp on a dynojet. I think that's definitely a higher reading dyno that you're basing the claims off of, while most of us are refering to numbers off of lower reading dynos where E85 powered VF turbos make 330-350whp.

No one is trolling you, we're just stating our general observations.

·
Registered
90 Posts
With stock block and basically full bolt on's with 1000cc Injectors. I made 377 hp 383 tq with 20G @ 23psi on 93 on a mustang dyno. Pro Tuned by JRtuned. But now I need more power so going with XR black 82HTZ on E85 Can't wait till Saturday to find out what kind of power it will make.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I made 345 whp on 91 with a 20g XTR at 19.5 psi on a mustang dyno here in SLC, Utah. Mods include Rally Spec Built Block, Ferrea Intake/Exhaust valves, 1000cc injectors, DW65 fuel pump, ETS Top Mount, Perrin Turbo inlet, Cobb EBCS, TGV deletes, Crawford AOS, AEM Cold Air Intake Full Turbo Back Exhaust. Look up Cobb's Dyno database and see what cars are making on different turbos and bolt ons. This will give you a good idea of what you can make with different setups.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Jason, with all due respect your one dyno graph doesn't mean the VF turbo can't make more than 370 at the wheels. There are a ton of dyno graphs that show they can. Is it common, no but look into the proven power bragging section of Nasioc and you'll see for yourself what other tuners have done with VF turbos. Obviously there are usually quite a bit of supporting mods, so it isn't stock car on E85 but VF39 and VF43 have both made not only 370 but beyond 400 on E85.

The 2015 WRX, with its tiny lil twin scroll, has made near 400 on ethanol by a couple tuners. And that is with very minor supporting mods like a downpipe and an intake. So what makes you think that a larger turbo in an STI can't?
:rofl: One of the funnier posts I've read in awhile.

My E85 w/ Cobb DP on stock turbo makes 315 HP and 389 TQ. I can't believe my tuner left 55-85 HP on the table. :notsure:

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
Don't feel bad. You don't need a new tune, just a new dyno :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts