IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was checking Cobbs website today. The 2019+ OTS maps are gone as well as they are no longer offering the stage 2 package or downpipe for 2019+ STIs.

Anyone know what is happening?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
16 Posts
Probably new restriction laws. Old parts may not be passing current automotive laws so they took it down to be safe until they can remap/retune the maps and come out with a new downpipe to meet the standards.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The EPA is cracking down on the anti-tampering regulations forcing restrictions on aftermarket performance parts manufacturers and tuners. COBB is reworking their downpipes and tunes to be as compliant as possible. I wonder if we'll see the catalytic converter placement change on the downpipe to help make it more EPA friendly and prevent the need of disabling the catalyst efficiency & O2 sensor DTCs.

From COBB:
Subaru v400 Map Updates & Downpipes
The new v400 map files have received updates to better align with COBB’s vision of providing turn-key upgrade solutions while staying true to our mission statement. We take the role of being good stewards of the environment and our customers’ safety seriously. The COBB team will continue to be a leader in the industry by developing and delivering responsible tuning solutions across all of our supported platforms. Previous iterations of our Subaru OTS Maps contained disabled DTCs and toggles that were not necessary for vehicles to run properly while being used as intended with our Stage Power Packages. With the introduction of v400 map files we have re-enabled all superfluous trouble codes, including those related to catalytic converter efficiency. When used in conjunction with our newly re-worked GESi catted downpipes and Stage Power Packages, users can expect DTC-free operation of their vehicle aside from an actual mechanical fault.

We are working through production of updated J-Pipes for the 2015-2020 WRXs that will include our proprietary co-developed GESi catalytic converter, once those are available for purchase associated map files will receive the same updates. The 2019-2020 WRX STI will require a unique downpipe that is currently in development.
In other news, SEMA continues to fight to keep the aftermarket alive. You can use the link below to "sign the petition" (RPM Act).

Reactions: starvational

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The EPA is cracking down on the anti-tampering regulations forcing restrictions on aftermarket performance parts manufacturers and tuners. COBB is reworking their downpipes and tunes to be as compliant as possible. I wonder if we'll see the catalytic converter placement change on the downpipe to help make it more EPA friendly and prevent the need of disabling the catalyst efficiency & O2 sensor DTCs.

From COBB:

In other news, SEMA continues to fight to keep the aftermarket alive. You can use the link below to "sign the petition" (RPM Act).
Wow. This is quite sad news actually. This must have a huge impact on the past 25+ years of aftermarket development for all of us car enthusiasts. I just did a quick search on EPA and aftermarket parts. Quite a few big names have been taken down completely, mainly the diesel tuners.

I mean, if parts are to be EPA compliant, what is even the point of going aftermarket when your factory parts will be very similar. I can’t imagine many aftermarket tuning companies willing to risk going out of business after the fines the EPA is issuing. I guess the flip side to this is that maybe very high flow but efficient catalyst development may come out of this best case scenario.

I am quite saddened by this but understand it’s for the better of the earth and everyone breathing air. We’ll see how things change in the tuner industry within the next year.

·
Registered
528 Posts
+1 a lot will change, not ways going away as car enthusiasts have always found ways to make power...people who could cut and weld have been doing this stuff forever. It has become extremely easy thanks to all these companies who have supported our hobbies, I feel its the large amount of publicity all these have gotten and how big the community has gotten has spurred a large change. I know the US re-entering the Paris Climate Agreement group probably helped spur this and more likely than not a few anti-car people in high places...someone probably did a burnout on their lawn and spit in their petunias on the way out...either way its going to be hard for us car people to mod here on out, and possibly to stay away from being stock...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow. This is quite sad news actually. This must have a huge impact on the past 25+ years of aftermarket development for all of us car enthusiasts. I just did a quick search on EPA and aftermarket parts. Quite a few big names have been taken down completely, mainly the diesel tuners.

I mean, if parts are to be EPA compliant, what is even the point of going aftermarket when your factory parts will be very similar. I can’t imagine many aftermarket tuning companies willing to risk going out of business after the fines the EPA is issuing. I guess the flip side to this is that maybe very high flow but efficient catalyst development may come out of this best case scenario.

I am quite saddened by this but understand it’s for the better of the earth and everyone breathing air. We’ll see how things change in the tuner industry within the next year.
This is not correct. At all. These are the attitudes that cause us to get our stuff taken away. Do some reading..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Care to elaborate?
Sure. This is literally the equivalent to saying that peeing in the ocean is contributing to the toxification of the waters.
The idea that cars and trucks are causing any appreciable harm to the environment is really not a very substantial one at that. It's especially nonsensical that a tiny fraction of people with emission deletes are doing anything either.
If you want to do something for the environment, start with waste plastic. Waste plastic is going to be (and already is) the largest disaster in human history and is quite literally ignored at this point.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sure. This is literally the equivalent to saying that peeing in the ocean is contributing to the toxification of the waters.
The idea that cars and trucks are causing any appreciable harm to the environment is really not a very substantial one at that. It's especially nonsensical that a tiny fraction of people with emission deletes are doing anything either.
If you want to do something for the environment, start with waste plastic. Waste plastic is going to be (and already is) the largest disaster in human history and is quite literally ignored at this point.
I agree, efforts would be much better focused elsewhere.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree, efforts would be much better focused elsewhere.
Definitely.
Production agriculture has some bad side effects. Every seen the largest lake in America covered in algae? (Lake Okeechobee) It's a disaster. What the environmentalists choose to pick on is often arbitrary and is usually just a result of who they think they can steam roll. I have found that many of these "green types" tend to strain out a gnat yet ignore the camel in an effort to stroke their assumed moral superiority. If you haven't seen the South Park episode where they all start driving a Prius, you should. It's truly the best archetype for what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely.
Production agriculture has some bad side effects. Every seen the largest lake in America covered in algae? (Lake Okeechobee) It's a disaster. What the environmentalists choose to pick on is often arbitrary and is usually just a result of who they think they can steam roll. I have found that many of these "green types" tend to strain out a gnat yet ignore the camel in an effort to stroke their assumed moral superiority. If you haven't seen the South Park episode where they all start driving a Prius, you should. It's truly the best archetype for what I'm talking about.
I think we have the coal rollers to thank. Some idiots probably triggered the wrong person.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think we have the coal rollers to thank. Some idiots probably triggered the wrong person.
Never been a fan of that type of stuff. 'hurr durr watch me kill der trees heheeeee'
It's not hurting the tree first of all and then, yes, it garners the attention of the EPA lol.
Honestly I couldn't possibly speculate as to what has caused this crackdown. I hope someone could enlighten me. I speculate a liberal revitalization and Paris Agreement but whatever. Add salt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love gas cars and the modding community and regulations typically are joy killers, but there is actually substantial research on the negative effects to the environment:

"Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from transportation account for about 28 percent of total U.S. greenhouse gas emissions, making it the largest contributor of U.S. GHG emissions. Between 1990 and 2018, GHG emissions in the transportation sector increased more in absolute terms than any other sector."

source: Carbon Pollution from Transportation | US EPA

I do realize that there are other sources as well (e.g. plastic, agriculture etc...), but brushing it off like vehicle emissions have no effect is incorrect. However, I do agree that the modding community is too tiny to have an impact, but transportation emissions as a whole definitely do.

·
Registered
15 Posts

From COBB:

Found the link to your COBB statement (thanks for posting that): Subaru v400 Map Updates and New ROM Support - COBB Tuning

I'm in the market for a downpipe and was also wondering (like OP) why the stage 2 stuff had disappeared for my 2019 STI.

Also found this comment:

"The 2019 STI is going to require a different catalytic converter configuration (say that 5 times fast, haha) as it has to adhere to the updated CARB LEV III standards. We do not yet have an ETA for those downpipes and are continuing to test. Utilizing a downpipe that does not meet those standards may lead to a CEL when using our off the shelf maps."

source (a comment by [email protected] towards the bottom): COBB Downpipe Updates - COBB Tuning

·
Registered
251 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love gas cars and the modding community and regulations typically are joy killers, but there is actually substantial research on the negative effects to the environment:

"Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from transportation account for about 28 percent of total U.S. greenhouse gas emissions, making it the largest contributor of U.S. GHG emissions. Between 1990 and 2018, GHG emissions in the transportation sector increased more in absolute terms than any other sector."

I do realize that there are other sources as well (e.g. plastic, agriculture etc...), but brushing it off like vehicle emissions have no effect is incorrect. However, I do agree that the modding community is too tiny to have an impact, but transportation emissions as a whole definitely do.
Lol thanks for the link.....

What I’m saying and many others is that the “greenhouse gas” frenzy is misplaced blame.
Do some more research. Carbon emissions aren’t as bad as you think. Man made global warming is a joke.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lol thanks for the link.....

What I’m saying and many others is that the “greenhouse gas” frenzy is misplaced blame.
Do some more research. Carbon emissions aren’t as bad as you think. Man made global warming is a joke.
Do you have scientific qualifications to make that assessment?

It's absurd that people who benefit from technological breakthroughs which resulted from scientific progress, will choose disbelief when a scientific consensus on a particular topic does not align with their world view.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do you have scientific qualifications to make that assessment?

It's absurd that people who benefit from technological breakthroughs which resulted from scientific progress, will choose disbelief when a scientific consensus on a particular topic does not align with their world view.
I'm actually an ME and I did my undergrad research on renewables. Plastics into fuel. So, yes. I do. Emissions was key in our marketability.
Furthermore, consensus is not an argument. Just because a group of guys agree on a topic and then shift their paradigm to confirm their beliefs does not make it true.
I appreciate your concern, but it's been "a minute to midnight" for ~40 years now.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI Limited MGM
30 Posts
I'm actually an ME and I did my undergrad research on renewables. Plastics into fuel. So, yes. I do. Emissions was key in our marketability.
Furthermore, consensus is not an argument. Just because a group of guys agree on a topic and then shift their paradigm to confirm their beliefs does not make it true.
I appreciate your concern, but it's been "a minute to midnight" for ~40 years now.
Owen is correct... There have been innumerable studies that show that farm animal husbandry creates FAR more GHG's than cars... to the tune of (as a percent of all human causes):
the farm animal sector annually accounts for:
  1. 9% of human-induced emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2),
  2. 37% of emissions of methane (CH4), which has more than 20 times the global warming potential (GWP) of CO2
  3. 65% of emissions of nitrous oxide (N2O), which has nearly 300 times the GWP of CO2.

See: An HSUS Fact Sheet: Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Animal Agriculture (humanesociety.org)
EU's farm animals 'produce more emissions than cars and vans combined' | Environment | The Guardian
Global Farm Animal Production and Global Warming: Impacting and Mitigating Climate Change | Environmental Health Perspectives | Vol. 116, No. 5 (nih.gov)

·
Registered
50 Posts

So let's put the burden on the automotive aftermarket.

Meanwhile, I could move a county away and not have emissions testing at all! Everything is so inconsistent and it really detracts from any argument that is trying to be made.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
Reactions: mheyman
1 - 20 of 26 Posts