IW STi Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know some not all have been feeling the turmoil that Cobb unleashed on us but it was definitely coming we seen the signs sadly is here. Deletes are a no go, FF is a no go. I called my tuner for advice since I have 1050x injectors, EBCS, AEM 340 pump to name a few of the mods I was planning on installing on my 16 STI. I ask him should I bother to buy the FP Blue, fuel pressure regulator, turbo inlet, EWG and up pipe for my build but he said he is still not sure what we will be able to tune for after the deadline takes effect. Anyone with some insight know if I am good to continue with this build?? I have not deleted anything from my car and don’t plan on doing FF. I am currently Pro tuned for Cobb big SF, Maperformance down pipe with high flow cat, IAG AOS, 4 cylinder cooling mod, AWE Track edition catback. I want to continue my current build with a goal of 380whp MAX. I know you can probably go higher but that’s what I want on stock internals. Like I mention I still have my secondary air pump, TGV’s, EGR and don’t plan on deleting any or go FF.
Did you get any further resolution from your tuner? The MAP Stage 2 kit I just bought arrived and when I called MAP about the tune, they told me that it isn't an if, but a when, I get the CEL for the cat as they break down over time apparently.

I am in the same boat as you since I started grabbing fuel system parts and if I can't manage to upgrade bigger items (turbo, headers/etc), then it doesn't make sense to add the fuel system components I don't think. I haven't approached a tuner yet as I don't want to add to the work load since I still need to get the parts installed. Don't want to tie up a tuner's time by just asking questions at this point.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Did you get any further resolution from your tuner? The MAP Stage 2 kit I just bought arrived and when I called MAP about the tune, they told me that it isn't an if, but a when, I get the CEL for the cat as they break down over time apparently.

I am in the same boat as you since I started grabbing fuel system parts and if I can't manage to upgrade bigger items (turbo, headers/etc), then it doesn't make sense to add the fuel system components I don't think. I haven't approached a tuner yet as I don't want to add to the work load since I still need to get the parts installed. Don't want to tie up a tuner's time by just asking questions at this point.
I just installed all my parts and had my guy tune the car with no issues at all. Tho my numbers were disappointingly low.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, that is good that you didn't have any issues. How many miles do you have on the MAP downpipe? Are you going to continue with your plans for the FP Blue?
A put 7K on the down pipe. I installed, FP Blue, 1050 Injectors, Radium FPR, 3 Port EBCS and the other parts that were already tuned from before. Car is way more top end now with the FP Blue

·
Registered
13 Posts
A put 7K on the down pipe. I installed, FP Blue, 1050 Injectors, Radium FPR, 3 Port EBCS and the other parts that were already tuned from before. Car is way more top end now with the FP Blue
Nice! Thanks for following up. That definitely gives me some confidence in installing what I have now. Guess I will continue my path then. Hope you are enjoying the new mods!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Nice! Thanks for following up. That definitely gives me some confidence in installing what I have now. Guess I will continue my path then. Hope you are enjoying the new mods!
Yea man. My tuner has been modding Subbies since 2004. He says as long as your Downpipe has a high flow cat, you do not remove TGVs, Secondary air pump or any emissions components you can tune your car with no CEL worries. My end goal is 450wph I should be at 400 next week when my FlexLink PRO for HP-Tuners flex fuel kit comes in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea man. My tuner has been modding Subbies since 2004. He says as long as your Downpipe has a high flow cat, you do not remove TGVs, Secondary air pump or any emissions components you can tune your car with no CEL worries. My end goal is 450wph I should be at 400 next week when my FlexLink PRO for HP-Tuners flex fuel kit comes in.
Haha. Slippery slope I guess. You said 380 max and now hunting 450! I said 400 was most for me so I am going to try and stick to it. I am sticking to pump gas so I think more than that would start bumping $$$ investment up. I am not planning on deleting any emissions, but was just hesitant about whether I wanted to go through with mods if I have to stare at a CEL everyday. Glad to know a tuner has some confidence.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Haha. Slippery slope I guess. You said 380 max and now hunting 450! I said 400 was most for me so I am going to try and stick to it. I am sticking to pump gas so I think more than that would start bumping $$$ investment up. I am not planning on deleting any emissions, but was just hesitant about whether I wanted to go through with mods if I have to stare at a CEL everyday. Glad to know a tuner has some confidence.
380 stock internals. 450 forged

·
Registered
13 Posts
For those following, I spoke with MAPerformance a little while ago and got clarification on some of the cat part numbers they use on their downpipes. The regular "catted" option actually uses a GESI cat w/ the part no. 10030. The optional MAP downpipe with the "GESI" cat option runs a couple hundred more and uses a GESI cat w/ the part no. 50230. Based on that I checked the GESI product page and it looks like the base "catted" downpipe (with the 10030) is not "EPA compliant" and the "GESI" option is. The base version uses a 300 cell and the costlier one uses a 400 cell.

Not sure how much impact that will have on the '19-'20 STIs in relation to a CEL, but I am going to give it a try anyway. Hopefully I won't run into any problems with a tuner down the line. The GESI product page does warn: "NOTE: These Non-EPA G-Sport converters offer a lighter loaded catalyst and therefore will reduce all regulated emissions to a lesser degree and are not EPA compliant. The elimination of a check engine light cannot be assured. These converters are best suited in applications where a stock catalytic converter was not offered from the OEM (vehicle years 1973 and older) as well as any off-road application such as trail or race."

The rep I spoke with today told me that they haven't heard of any CELs post-greenspeed yet, so that is a good sign. He also mentioned that the "GESI" option has been hard to get and has a very long backorder, even for them. I am going to check out the Cobb j-pipe for the WRX in the garage and check the cat no. on it and compare, but if pictures online are to be believed, the Cobb STI downpipe uses at least a 5xxxx series GESI cat.

Just glad to know MAP at least went with a reputable cat provider even in their base downpipe, so there is that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
For those following, I spoke with MAPerformance a little while ago and got clarification on some of the cat part numbers they use on their downpipes. The regular "catted" option actually uses a GESI cat w/ the part no. 10030. The optional MAP downpipe with the "GESI" cat option runs a couple hundred more and uses a GESI cat w/ the part no. 50230. Based on that I checked the GESI product page and it looks like the base "catted" downpipe (with the 10030) is not "EPA compliant" and the "GESI" option is. The base version uses a 300 cell and the costlier one uses a 400 cell.

Not sure how much impact that will have on the '19-'20 STIs in relation to a CEL, but I am going to give it a try anyway. Hopefully I won't run into any problems with a tuner down the line. The GESI product page does warn: "NOTE: These Non-EPA G-Sport converters offer a lighter loaded catalyst and therefore will reduce all regulated emissions to a lesser degree and are not EPA compliant. The elimination of a check engine light cannot be assured. These converters are best suited in applications where a stock catalytic converter was not offered from the OEM (vehicle years 1973 and older) as well as any off-road application such as trail or race."

The rep I spoke with today told me that they haven't heard of any CELs post-greenspeed yet, so that is a good sign. He also mentioned that the "GESI" option has been hard to get and has a very long backorder, even for them. I am going to check out the Cobb j-pipe for the WRX in the garage and check the cat no. on it and compare, but if pictures online are to be believed, the Cobb STI downpipe uses at least a 5xxxx series GESI cat.

Just glad to know MAP at least went with a reputable cat provider even in their base downpipe, so there is that.
I have their base Catted Downpipe and just got my car protuned and have zero codes or issues 👍

·
Registered
2020 STI
24 Posts

Just FYI, I was trying to source a GESi 50230 cat for months. After 6 months of searching and trying other cats, I ended up calling Cobb about the Gen 2 cats. Cobb discontinued development of the 19+ STI downpipe entirely because they could not find a cat that would not throw P0420, including the GESi gen 2 (50230). So us 19+ STI owners are out of luck.

I'm currently on a 20g flex fuel build, and my only options left are either to put the stock downpipe on for emissions testing or go back to basically stock. I have yet to actually try this to see if it passes the O2 monitor on my current tune, but it's the only option left before a massive part out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just FYI, I was trying to source a GESi 50230 cat for months. After 6 months of searching and trying other cats, I ended up calling Cobb about the Gen 2 cats. Cobb discontinued development of the 19+ STI downpipe entirely because they could not find a cat that would not throw P0420, including the GESi gen 2 (50230). So us 19+ STI owners are out of luck.

I'm currently on a 20g flex fuel build, and my only options left are either to put the stock downpipe on for emissions testing or go back to basically stock. I have yet to actually try this to see if it passes the O2 monitor on my current tune, but it's the only option left before a massive part out.
Well, if you end up going back to the stock downpipe, do report back on what it does to the tune. At the worst, you end up throwing a code and have to try a new aftermarket downpipe before going back to stock if you are trying to keep things at the same level. I went ahead and preemptively got my emissions test out of the way yesterday so I am good for at least 2 years. Downpipe goes on and time will tell.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts