IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know some not all have been feeling the turmoil that Cobb unleashed on us but it was definitely coming we seen the signs sadly is here. Deletes are a no go, FF is a no go. I called my tuner for advice since I have 1050x injectors, EBCS, AEM 340 pump to name a few of the mods I was planning on installing on my 16 STI. I ask him should I bother to buy the FP Blue, fuel pressure regulator, turbo inlet, EWG and up pipe for my build but he said he is still not sure what we will be able to tune for after the deadline takes effect. Anyone with some insight know if I am good to continue with this build?? I have not deleted anything from my car and don’t plan on doing FF. I am currently Pro tuned for Cobb big SF, Maperformance down pipe with high flow cat, IAG AOS, 4 cylinder cooling mod, AWE Track edition catback. I want to continue my current build with a goal of 380whp MAX. I know you can probably go higher but that’s what I want on stock internals. Like I mention I still have my secondary air pump, TGV’s, EGR and don’t plan on deleting any or go FF.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I think alot of things are going to fall into the "dont ask, dont tell" category. As long as there isnt a visible light or fault code to indicate something "wrong", you "should" be ok.

Just my opinion. Its to early to tell how this will all play out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
during my last E-tune session I removed my rear o2 sensor and replaced it with a wideband I-wire kit so I can utilize my AP for real time monitoring and datalogging. I supposed I would lose this function if I were to retune in the future? If so I will have to figure out a new way to log my wideband as my plan was to upgrade my turbo after building a motor and run flex. The flex part is obviously off of the table for now to. bummer

·
Super Moderator
9,179 Posts
Yes, you will lose that function. It's too bad they have not enabled a WBO2 to be utilized for cat efficiency as well. Then you could do both... I may talk to Lance about that.

For those types of e-tunes, I have the user take a log of the WBO2 with the tach also in the picture. Downloading a video of that now, actually.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Related question. I have a 2012 STi with a Cobb Stage 1 OTS tune with the air pump codes turned off. Does this news mean that if I upgrade the downpipe and have the car tuned the tuner will not have the ability to turn the air pump codes off on the new tune?

·
Super Moderator
9,179 Posts
Related question. I have a 2012 STi with a Cobb Stage 1 OTS tune with the air pump codes turned off. Does this news mean that if I upgrade the downpipe and have the car tuned the tuner will not have the ability to turn the air pump codes off on the new tune?
That is correct.

·
Registered
120 Posts
dang, I know must E-tuners require a wideband/ logging capabilities when tuning for e85. I didn't bother getting the gauge to go with my kit because the AP read it out for me :cautious:. looks like I will have to hold off on that aspect of my project. This has become quite the challenge.

·
Registered
120 Posts
yes I think that is correct. My situation is the same. My current tune and features are ok but If I were to retune all deleted emissions devices ( I to have secondary air pump delete) would be activated as your tuner no longer has the ability to "suppress" them

·
Registered
236 Posts
during my last E-tune session I removed my rear o2 sensor and replaced it with a wideband I-wire kit so I can utilize my AP for real time monitoring and datalogging. I supposed I would lose this function if I were to retune in the future? If so I will have to figure out a new way to log my wideband as my plan was to upgrade my turbo after building a motor and run flex. The flex part is obviously off of the table for now to. bummer
Yes, you will lose that function. It's too bad they have not enabled a WBO2 to be utilized for cat efficiency as well. Then you could do both... I may talk to Lance about that.

For those types of e-tunes, I have the user take a log of the WBO2 with the tach also in the picture. Downloading a video of that now, actually.
Glad you asked this, and thanks for confirming. Just picked up the same, AEM Wideband without the gauge because planned to log through AP. But now I have to see if I'm still in the window to exchange for the gauge version.

So this means, if the car is throwing a CEL (related to emissions only?) you can't do any tuning whatsoever with Cobb's software? I assume just not updating your tuner software is a risk since you can get fined if caught?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Have some plans to install ELH. Already running a COBB Catted DP. Currently tuned with emiss codes deleted. Can my car be re-tuned for the ELH? Thanks!
Yes, you can absolutely be retuned! However, due to your emissions related codes, you will most likely have a check engine light on after the tune. It will depend on what hardware you are or arent running.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
... I assume just not updating your tuner software is a risk since you can get fined if caught?
Accesstuner is a forced update. Once the optional update period expires, it is required or the software cannot be used.

Reactions: a5m

·
Registered
236 Posts
Accesstuner is a forced update. Once the optional update period expires, it is required or the software cannot be used.
Okay that makes sense, thanks.

I'm hoping for @yamahaSHO to clarify regarding the use of a wideband off the Rear O2 or TGV signal - does the resulting CEL from doing so disable the tuner's software from making any adjustments? I didn't plan to run the WB permanently, but just for dialing in the tune.

And if not, having a WB with a gauge be of any use for an e-tune?

·
Super Moderator
9,179 Posts
The WBO2 monitoring feature will no longer be viable as it uses an emissions input for its usage. Not only will you get a CEL, the ability to monitor the input as a sensor input will be gone.

As for etuning with a WBO2, we just go back to the way we used to do it. Put a camera on the WBO2 gauge, as well as the tach, and send the video. I still have to do this with older cars where you could not route a WBO2 into the ECU.

It's be nice if they could use a WBO2 to also serve as "secondary O2"...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts