IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just ordered the Godspeed DP and I was wondering if anyone would recommend it to be coated? Has anyone else done it, or just put it on without any problems? Please help me out.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
91 Posts
well performance shops will tell you that the hotter and free-er you can keep the exost the better (put to a point).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes and no. It would be nice to have it coated internally and externally though that would pose a problem with their CEL fix which I believe is catalytic material in the bung.

It will increase the velocity away from the turbine which is a good thing and will also lower your underhood temps which is another good thing.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys. What kind of outside coating would be recommended? Like could I just use a certain brand of exhaust wrap or is there something better?

Thanks,

Richard

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I think most exhaust shops are recomending a zink oxide coating ( usually about $100 usd) or a 2500 deg. hi temp paint usually about or more than half the cost of zinc

sman

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I used some really thick fiberglass exhaust wrap off of ebay and it worked great. Great price too ($50 for like 150'). Theres a local powdercoating place and Im goin to see if they can do some 2000 degree stuff :)... Also what about powdercoating the exterior of the exhaust housing on the turbo? I didnt put the heat shield back on so I was either going to have it coated (2000degree? 2500degree?) or use the DEI turbo wraps, to help keep air temps/bay temps down.

Robert~

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have not done this myself (I JH2000 coat my DP) but some have said that with the DP the temperature is low enough to use JetHot sterling and they have had no flaking. The sterling is a nice finish. Just passing on info - I cannot validate. If this is the case you could even use some of the better looking coatings that contain aluminum and give a more polished than rough finish. (I don't care if my exhaust is bling or not.)

One person reported back that when they only externally coated their down pipe that it fatigued the metal and it actually cracked much sooner than it should have ever broken down. I imagine it is due to the external coating holding the temps in the pipe - this is why unless there is a cat involved I always internal coat as well.

Yes you could thermal coat the exhaust housing externally as well. JH will do it externally I think the internal temps on the cast housing peak to high for internal coating. Since it is a cast material I would almost go with a turbo blanket instead. Though in the end I will probably send the housing to JH and do both a coating and blanket.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
hmmmm... I could care less about the bling of my exhaust / headers as well. I just want to keep the heat off of stuff in the engine bay (especially the IC). Since godspeed's is catless I guess both internal and external coating then? As for the turbo, I might just do the external powdercoating as I dont want to spend $100+ on a blanket, although, if this doesnt work I may. Thanks for the tips.

Robert~

·
Registered
153 Posts
Godspeed's is catless - but the O2 bung has catalytic material in it as its CEL fix (I believe). That presents a problem for the CEL fix itself. Otherwise I would seek to coat internally and externally. Oh and the 2000 coating is only like $15 more on a downpipe than the 1600 coating. Total retail cost should be less than $75 I would think.

The JH 2000 is rated over 2250* it should suffice externally on a cast exhaust housing and should cost like $50.

And the Jet-Hot location for the east coast is just down the road in MS.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
A catalytic material? All it is I believe is an extension bung. My friend victor with an Evo7 did it on his friend's Evo8 catless exhaust and its CEL free. It should be just a 1.5" or so extension on the 02 sensor housing. Also I believe someone was showing how you could take two piece and weld them or screw them together or something and put that on the downpipe 02bung and it would extend it enough to be CEL free, for those that had bought the normal catless DPs and what not.

Robert~

·
Registered
153 Posts
You are correct that isolating the O2 sensor from the direct flow will stabilize the O2 enough to be CEL free. It was just my understanding that there was a little piece of catalytic material in the bung on the Godspeed ones. I could well be wrong and be thinking of another make. If there is no material in the bung - coat away.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
o ok cool, is there a way to just coat around it then? or would that cause premature wear or something? Thanks!

Robert~

·
Registered
153 Posts
Personally with how well the mechanical isolation of the sensor works - if the position of the bung permits I would drill it out of any included material - get it coated and when you get it back drill out a 18mm spark plug fouling insert and extend the current bung a bit further then put the O2 sensor in. But keep in mind that it is not my product I am sure Guru could tell you how to deal with this issue if in fact my memory is correct regarding the cat material.

Always check advice about a product back to the vendor you have used first.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I gotcha man, I was just curious, thanks. I have the downpipe wrapped right now so that should be good enough for now anyways. I am just getting headers in the 17th and wanted to do something about my exposed turbo. Thanks!

Robert~

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well crap... :( all of this coating talk is confusing me as to what to do when I get my Godspeed dp. If i just wrap it or something, it's going to crack b/c the temperatures are kept inside the dp? what if i just made the stock heat shield fit over the Godspeed dp and do no wrapping? I hate this confusion! ahhhh!! I just want to enjoy all the power gains from the dp w/ no other complications.... :-? oh well, please help.

Thanks,
RC

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would not extend my passing on one comment second hand as affecting the GS DP. The DP in question was not the GS. It was merely passing on a single comment that is worth considering. It could have been a cheapy DP with lousy materials. There is not enough information to extend the results - just include it with your other research and when you have enough information make an independent informed decision.

Now of course there are other issues with wrapping. They require maintenance - many, many users report back that wrapping in general can get wet and moldy and require re-wrapping on a varying recurring basis. But there is no firm information if those were sealed or unsealed wraps. I can only imagine that sealing the wrap would at least help the issue.

Again just information for consideration - nothing to take as gospel. There are people who have good experiences with each of these alternatives as well.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, when you put it that way, that helps to put me at a little ease. Thank you for your help chargedspeed. I'll see what I can work with.

RC

sorry, I meant chargedperformance. must've been thinking about Godspeed at the same time. heh :lol:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I plan on ceramic coating the down-pipe and turbo housing. It serves two purposes. The most important in my opinion is the fact that this will keep underhood temps down which will let the intercooler work that much more effiecinetly. The industry buzz states that ceramic coating reduces temps by 30% which can give you a 5% whp bump. That in our car is going to be 12-15 hp. Well worth the cost of ceramic coating ;)

Mario

·
Registered
153 Posts
No problem RC we get that a lot (chargespeed that is not confusion with godspeed) - it is flattering I think...

I think there is a chargespeed that puts out some good products. Wouldn't actually mind being the one putting out body kits for those that like them - see the bottom of the page. We did find out about chargespeed after coming up with our name - so there was no intent to play on it!

http://www.chargespeed.com/english/top/top_e.htm

Normally I would have space in the user name but this site didn't allow them.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Please help diagnose possible BOV problem

I got my Godspeed DP from Dan and asked him about coating the DP as he was also ceramic coating my GT Spec II header. He said the DP didn't need it. The coated header was all I needed since the pre-turbo temps were more important than post turbo temps. I went ahead and used the thermal wrap (fiberglass) on the DP from the turbo to the first bend under the car. I fig'd it would keep the under hood temps down and the IC a lil cooler.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts