IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just another thought, what's a good clutch to get? I'm looking to go about 500 hp, eventually. By the way, does getting a new clutch void the warranty?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Well, I'd say (if money wasnt a problem) get the the ATS carbon carbon triple plate clutches. Easy to drive and can handle 1000hp. Rebuildable and all sorts of good features (weighs very little). Costs a good bit though ~$2X00. :( I will be getting one whenever finances come my way.

Robert~

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah if it's over 2000 then it will have to wait. I was just worried because I burnt my clutch a little the other day and have heard that the stock clutch is rather weak. Thanks again though, DP first.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I haven't heard much about our stock clutch, but if it really was weak, we would have already seen alot of breakage from drag racing and a solution would have become availible fast(which is what happened to the EVO).

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ya, i heard 300whp is where the stock clutch starts to give, and that # is hard to get with the stock turbo... so im sure as time goes on, it'll happen that there will be more upgrades available. I just like the carboncarbon idea as it is rebuildable, weighs like 10-12lbs total, can support 1000hp, is easy to drive as stock - if not easier, no clatter (problem with most twin plates), etc... the extra price is worth it i think.

Robert~

·
Registered
72 Posts
agreed on carbon/carbon- my car is at about 300 whp right now and clutch feels ok- when i change turbo, FMIC, ETC.. i will go with carbon/carbon double

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HiGh_On_StI said:
I think if your going to get 500hp that is going to void the warrenty already
Good point, but I'd like to keep it under warranty as long as possible. I don't have the money for a 500hp so I'm sticking with bolt-ons right now. I do like the triple plate carbon-carbon though. Now where to get ~$3000. Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Banned
54 Posts
blueSTi04 said:
Yeah if it's over 2000 then it will have to wait. I was just worried because I burnt my clutch a little the other day and have heard that the stock clutch is rather weak. Thanks again though, DP first.
It is a slipping design but I wouldnt change it until after 36k miles since it is covered under the "wear" warrenty. They replace for wear not just defect. They also do the same for the break pads as well.
B2

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick_One said:
blueSTi04 said:
It is a slipping design but I wouldnt change it until after 36k miles since it is covered under the "wear" warrenty. They replace for wear not just defect. They also do the same for the break pads as well.
B2
So Subaru will cover it? I'm worried because I think I gave it a good burn. Would it be alright if that was the only time? It was really an accident, and someone said it should be fine? Should I take it in?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think I hurt mine also. a few too many hard launches and now it doesn't bite like it once did, and it smells ALOT when i do launch. I wouldn't think subaru would fix a smoked clutch. Does anybody have first hand experience with this. Also my brake pads are almost gone, the track day really did a number on them. 2300 miles

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think I hurt mine also. a few too many hard launches and now it doesn't bite like it once did, and it smells ALOT when i do launch. I wouldn't think subaru would fix a smoked clutch. Does anybody have first hand experience with this. Also my brake pads are almost gone, the track day really did a number on them. 2300 miles

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
kencav said:
agreed on carbon/carbon- my car is at about 300 whp right now and clutch feels ok- when i change turbo, FMIC, ETC.. i will go with carbon/carbon double
Dan recommended the carboncarbon triple, as the single/double were either reallydifficult to drive or chattered a lot. He said the Triple is great, can withstand 1000hp, and is as easy if not easier to drive then STOCK... still weighs like 10lbs too.

Robert~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts