IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyones clutch starting to wear down or slip at all?

ive got about 4k miles, and about 4 hard launches spread out and it feels the same as factory still :D

jus seein if everyone else is doin as well

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
10k miles and mine is still fine. A few times while trying something new or having to reverse up an incline it smelled pretty bad, but it still shifts fine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Water Spray Frozen?

I noticed my wrx clutch smelled pretty bad a few times but as the miles wore on it seemed to lessen. The STi seems to smell bad under hard use, it also may get better. Only 1600 mi on STi.

Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Gumpajim said:
I noticed my wrx clutch smelled pretty bad a few times but as the miles wore on it seemed to lessen. The STi seems to smell bad under hard use, it also may get better. Only 1600 mi on STi.

Jim
The clutch is still smelling bad on mine and I have 23,000 KM. I will be bringing it in soon and get it checked out. I have done some hard launches but not enought to cause any problems. Other than the smell the tranny is running great. I get most of the smell when I put it in to reverse.

Anyone else having same problem?
:(

·
Registered
595 Posts
Strange engine noise

I only get the smell when I slip the clutch excessively. During normal driving including reverse I do not get the smell. However after buring the clutch it takes about 100 miles or 3 days to get rid of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My STI has a little over 3000 miles on it, and the clutch will typically smell if reversing up hill initially. I've tried to be careful finding that perfect zone between burning the clutch and stalling the engine, but that window is very small.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
after 11k miles on my sti and almost 60k miles on my outback wagon, we still get the stinky clutch smell. our driveway is very sloped and we live on a hill, so we slip the clutch at least twice a way. :) but as i've posted before, my beater nissans *never* give off any smell, so i have to think the clutch housing must be vented. time to pull out the service manual...

T

·
0 Posts
After 23,000 kms my clutch is still going strong with no slippage what so ever. The brake pads however... :cry:

·
Registered
13 Posts
what is clutch slippage? This is my 1st manual car and during the 1st couple of weeks I definately got the smell at least once a day and proably stalled as much. Now afer a month + I want to make sure to be aware of this. when starting on very steep hills I still stall occasionally and know this is just my inability but what would clutch slippage/wear be indicated by? Im a nube can you tell :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I too get the clutch-stank. It's never on the road, always in the driveway, trying to nudge it up clear of the sidewalk without putting it thru the garage door. My d-way is sloped uphill as well. If I'm careful I can prevent it, but once in a while I get in a hurry and it happens. I hope it doesn't start chattering. My 02 WRX never smelled, but it did develop a moderate chatter after ~ 15kmi.

shantle - "slipp'n the clutch" is done by reving the engine up off idle, then eeeasing the clutch pedal out, causing the clutch (disk) to slip relative to the engine's flywheel before it grabs hold to spin the trany up to engine-rpm's. Think of shoving a piece of wood into a disk-sander. Anyway, go too eeasy on the way out, or rev the engine too high before full engagement and yur slipp'n the clutch (and ruining that new-car smell in this case). This car seems to have a smaller "sweet-spot" necessitating more care when trying to start out going up-hill.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Any time you enguage the clutch you will have a moderate ammount of clutch slippage, until the engine and flywheel are locked to each other and spinning at the same speed.

If you get the smell that means you rev'd too much and actually wore down some of the clutch surface. Don't worry about it too much, manual tranny's last a long time if they're not abused.

·
Registered
82 Posts
bitabur - I totally agree. It's certainly nothing serious, it just stinks! One thing I had to compensate for was how fast it rev's up compared to my 02 WRX. Once I got used to it, i'm better about it, but it still happens if I get lazy or in a hurry inching up the d-way.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
As long as you make sure to drop the clutch fast enough you should still be fine.... doesn't make as comfortable of a ride though... hehe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, buddy! The clutch hits much harder than the 2.0 WRX. I gave a coworker a ride between plants yesterday (he wanted to check out my new car) and he puked! He told me I belong on a race course, not on the roads! :eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have 1600 miles on my and i had a few hard launch on the car, the only thing i've picked up is when the car is cold i get a high pedal and alittle bit of chatter from my clutch, once the car is driven for about 2 mins it goes away, anything other than that the car is a beast since this is my first turbo scooby :p , anyway for those whos got similar problems, Heres something that might help,

http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/index.js

Go the the site and do a search under service bulletins, if i remember correctly i saw a bulletin from subaru on cold clutch chatter. if you want to see details you have to pay :evil: .

·
Registered
357 Posts
At 312 ft lbs of torque at the wheels, the clutch has a tough time holding especially for launching. I have a triple plate carbon ATS clutch coming in the next few weeks to remedy the problem.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Guru said:
At 312 ft lbs of torque at the wheels, the clutch has a tough time holding especially for launching. I have a triple plate carbon ATS clutch coming in the next few weeks to remedy the problem.
Keep me posted on the clutch. Might be just what the Dr. Ordered.
Brian

1 - 17 of 17 Posts