IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way back from the Rally Sport Direct meet and I noticed that my clutch was squeaking when engaged. It sounds like a creaking door. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I was thinking that it may be a throw-out bearing, but listening to others on YouTube. It doesn't sound like it.

I have an appointment with the dealership to take a look at it this Friday, but would like to know what is causing this issue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
probably throw out bearing it it goes away when you press in the clutch. my slave cylinder started going out and made a creaking noise. soon after my throw out bearing started squealing because premature wear from the slave.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It could be broken firewall spot welds. Do a google search and you will see it was a common issue in 2010/2011.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got into my car this morning and the squeaking is gone. . . Don't know what caused it yesterday.

It's really starting to piss me off that there are SO many warranty issues I've had with my STi. I really like the car, but having all these issues appear now, gets me worried what will happen after the warranty is over. /rant

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
If it ever comes back and greasing everything and replacing everything does not solve it do this:

Car off press the brake pedal in as hard as you can and hold it. While holding it press the clutch pedal in pushing at a slight angle toward the passenger side of the car. You might hear a slight pop. After this the brake might induce the sound instead of the clutch. If this happens press the brake has hard as you can without the clutch and the noise should be gone.

The whole system is not rigid enough which causes the spot welds mentioned above to break when the firewall flexes with the brake and clutch housings under the dash. It gets biased in one direction and makes a terrible sound.

***keeping that many breaks and brakes sorted was a typing finger twister*** :lol:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You know I thought I had this problem too but it turned out to be my seat lol.
What he said. The leather rubs against the plastic piece that wraps around the front of the seat every time you push in the clutch. It might not be as bad if you sit higher up in the car but i sit on the floor lol :D

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Throw out bearing, or grease the spring inside the cabin. My 07's spring was noisy as heck!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What he said. The leather rubs against the plastic piece that wraps around the front of the seat every time you push in the clutch. It might not be as bad if you sit higher up in the car but i sit on the floor lol :D
You know I thought I had this problem too but it turned out to be my seat lol.
I actually have had this problem, I fixed it by sanding down the plastic piece that was rubbing. Drove me nuts cause it was squeaking every time I engage the clutch.

I will post a sound clip of my clutch when I figure out how to extract it from my phone.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I actually have had this problem, I fixed it by sanding down the plastic piece that was rubbing. Drove me nuts cause it was squeaking every time I engage the clutch.

I will post a sound clip of my clutch when I figure out how to extract it from my phone.
Count me in for number four that has had this. Thought it was the clutch, but it's the driver's side of the driver seat rubbing. Been that way a couple years now... I just forget about it. Sanding does sound like a good idea, though.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Ive have this squeak on my 07 but only in warmer weather. I determined it to be the area where it pivots by the slave cylinder. I think it just needs to be greased but dealership wouldnt do it (pu$$ys). I can live with it but it sure is annoying as hell. I saw on my local forum that the 08+ are actually filing a class action suit to have a recall on this (i think the suit for this was in the firewall area for broken spot welds). Here is a link if your interested, pretty sure your model fits the year:

Subaru Firewall Class Action Info Center

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the same problem. After a LOT of trial and error, I found the issue... The squeek comes from where the slave cylinder push-rod meets the fork that holds the thow-out bearing, like stiboost21 said. It's a ball and socket type set up. Once this gets corroded, it squeeks. I've tried greasing it, which helps for a short time, but not a perminent solution. When I come up with one, I'll let you guys know!

Matt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone,

Reviving a dead post, I hope everyone has solved their squeaky clutch problems on their cars, but if not, and it's the spot welds, I'm offering a kit here that will help you replace them without removing the dash, or with multiple universals. The idea is pretty simple, but have helped others do this job in less than 2 hours with the hardware kit. Take a look!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Peter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts