IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have researched this issue for days and have read every post out there trying to figure it out with no luck. It is starting to drive me mad (and my pregnant wife after countless hours of diagnosing the issue)

I have the dreaded squeaky clutch pedal (like a squeaky door and at first kind of groan) on my 2010 STI w/ 50k on the car. When depressing the clutch and only happening during warmer weather/when the car is warm (65-70 degrees and above) and after driving for about 10-20 mins. It definitely sounds as if it is coming from either near the pitch fork or slave cylinder. It only happens when the clutch is being depressed and not while on release. It seems to go away when I push the clutch pedal down fast and gets louder when I push it in slower. It does not squeak on colder days and I have checked the firewall welds near the wiper motor and all of them are still intact. This squeak still happens after I applied grease on the slave cylinder push rod last week (lucas oil red n tacky) which seemed to help for a little while. The squeak then came back. I then attempted to grease the rod again after removing the other grease and reapplied grease with moly in it as it was recommended for moving parts due to the moly in the grease.

I also looked at the brake pedal movement when the clutch is pressed and it only moves a tiny tiny bit barely enough to notice so I do not think it is the pedal assembly. I am still running dot 3 brake fluid and just recently rebled the system w/ new fluid after the slave cylinder spring/gold color slider came out while greasing the cylinder. The clutch itself seems a bit firm but I have read that the 2010's did have a stiff clutch pedal itself. The car still shifts well and I do not have a problem with getting it between gears. I am going to install a grimmspeed master cylinder brace and a group n pitch stop this weekend and plan on lubricating the release lever shaft w/ teflon grease to see if it is the issue and relub the slave cylinder rod/pitchfork. Does anyone else have an idea what may be causing the issue.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide me.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If you are doing the pitchstop I would look into doing the Circuit Motorsports clutch brace as well since you are in there

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the pitch stop and grimmspeed brace ready to go and would want to wait to do it all in one shot without having to remove the intercooler twice. I think I narrowed the squeak down to the release bearing shaft. I am running a strut tower brace which seemed to reduce flex for the firewall.

But I am just curious if the master cylinder brace would help to reduce the firewall flex for both the master clutch and master brake cylinders being that they are so close together? Or at least enough so that adding the clutch cylinder brace won't make much difference? My only concern of not doing both would be that in just adding the master brake cylinder brace it would cause the area where the other welds are near the pitch stop to absorb more of the firewall flexing and make it more susceptible for those welds to break. I am running the stock clutch and never plan on going to a heavy duty or stage 1 clutch, which I know seems to put the car at more of a risk for the welds breaking.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You'll want to do that Circuit Motorsports clutch master cylinder brace too. According to their video (below), it helps reduce or eliminate the dreaded squeak you have. While I cannot confirm this claim, my clutch was clicking when it was released and after installing this brace the problem is no longer there. Plus, shifting feels a lot better with the brace.

It'll be easy to do while you're doing the pitch stop as the CMCB connects at the pitch stop mounting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=27&v=znccb4M6bdk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put the group n pitch stop and grimmspeed master cylinder brace in this weekend. They both have made a great improvement. I also lube the release bearing shaft that the pitch fork pivots on w/ some WD-40 PTFE (Teflon) dry lubricant spray as the service manual states trying to get rid of the squeak and it worked. The clutch itself is now silent and no more annoying squeak. I also decided to drop the money on a clutch master cylinder brace. I did however elect to go with the Kinetic Motorworks brace instead of the Circuit Motorsports brace. It ran about $50 cheaper and after searching around/not seeing much on it I figured I would give it a try.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I put the group n pitch stop and grimmspeed master cylinder brace in this weekend. They both have made a great improvement. I also lube the release bearing shaft that the pitch fork pivots on w/ some WD-40 PTFE (Teflon) dry lubricant spray as the service manual states trying to get rid of the squeak and it worked. The clutch itself is now silent and no more annoying squeak. I also decided to drop the money on a clutch master cylinder brace. I did however elect to go with the Kinetic Motorworks brace instead of the Circuit Motorsports brace. It ran about $50 cheaper and after searching around/not seeing much on it I figured I would give it a try.
I have same issue, clutch is sort of creaking/groaning when being pressed, like rubber being rubbed against metal. Where exactly did you spray the lube at? Will it be obvious once I'm under the dash checking things out?

Also, I have a brake master cylinder and a clutch brace installed as well, with none of the dreaded firewall welds broken. Seems like the assembly must need lubrication every once in a while.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Your firewall welds that hold up the clutch pedal bracket are going. They issued a recall for the 08-10s but it's still an issue on later models. The six welds are slowly breaking. Press down on your clutch pedal and watch the brake pedal move. It's not supposed to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See this article. It has the spots that I lubed highlighted in red. It seems they do not lubricate it in the factory but tell you that you can do so in the service manual where the picture is from. I made sure to put something to block over spraying on the clutch disc itself. One I've checked all spot welds and none are broken or seemed distressed on mine. One thing to note the squeaking only happened on warm days and never on cold. I also did not have the click in the clutch pedal that seems to be the tell tale sign that the welds are breaking and I still do not.
2009 WRX throw-out bearing replaced for squeaking - NASIOC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone,

Reviving a dead post, I hope everyone has solved their squeaky clutch problems on their cars, but if not, and it's the spot welds, I'm offering a kit here that will help you replace them without removing the dash, or with multiple universals. The idea is pretty simple, but have helped others do this job in less than 2 hours with the right hardware. Take a look!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts