IW STi Forum banner

221 - 237 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
I have some time to think about this as I'll be able to lease under my dad's corporate account at the end of July. In the mean time, I'm driving my family's extra car.

So far, I've narrowed down a few possible options:

2015 BMW 228i with M package
2009/2010 Porsche Cayman
2013 Nissan 370z
2016 Golf R

Trying to stay within the 40k price range (before taxes/fees), but its tough. I could spend 45 comfortably, but extra savings is always a good thing. The 370z is by far the most affordable option, but I'd really like to get back in a German car.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
PLZ no 370Z... Looks horrible IMO... Golf R is a good choice.

Why not an Audi S3? Interior is great.
I almost bought one before deciding it wasn't appropriate for winter. Love those things. Would have one now if it wasn't for that reason. Nice cars, definitely generally better looking than the STI for most ppl lol.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I almost bought one before deciding it wasn't appropriate for winter. Love those things. Would have one now if it wasn't for that reason. Nice cars, definitely generally better looking than the STI for most ppl lol.
Jeeze, they look terrible to me... Looks overweight and heavy and not so practical for a DD... The only model I like is the Nismo version.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Jeeze, they look terrible to me... Looks overweight and heavy and not so practical for a DD... The only model I like is the Nismo version.
meh, opinions man! I like the look. Especially that dark grey metallic with red interior...mmmm. Only reason they aren't practical is because 2-seater. And well winters here are bad so not practical for HERE but that's a different story.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
I just love cars that give a nice low seating position - my first two cars were a Mercedes SLK230 followed by an SLK350 (girl cars, I know) and they really made you feel connected to the road. For this reason, I think the Cayman is the leading choice, so hopefully a nice CPO pops up when I'm ready. The Nissan is on the list purely because it offers great value - 332 hp, Japanese reliability, low maintenance costs, and the cheapest market value of the bunch.

The S3 is just slightly out of my price range...unless I get absolutely 0 options, but then I'd rather go for a bare bones m235i. I also don't really like the body style, just looks a little out of proportion to me.

I'll be 25 by the time I get my new car, so I still have a few years left to drive something impractical ;)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Cool :)

I would have gotten an 135i back in 2012 when I graduated from university if it wasn't for our harsh winters here.

I figured back then that the STI was my best bet for a 4 seasons, AWD drive car around 40K.

Cayman is a great choice of course... But I don't think I would like it to be my DD. And the base model Cayman (not S) will feel rather slow compared to your STI...

Fast Porsches are pricey :(

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Little update - After months of trying to sell the car, I've decided to keep it. 3 deals fell through and I've dealt with too many tire kickers and low ballers. Also, my girlfriend and I are buying a place in the near future, so the Porsche will have to wait ;). A few parts were sold in the process - I pretty much just have the short shifter, catback and coilovers left, so I've got a fresh start and I've started thinking about which direction I want to take this car for the long term. First thing on the list is definitely a bi-xenon kit from TRS.

I also recently ordered a JDM rear fog kit from Avo JDM. I had used them before and they were ok, but I had a pretty negative experience this time around and will not be using them again - terrible communication and an overall a shady transaction that left a sour taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Cheers guys! Going to look at a 997 for my dad tomorrow, so I'll atleast get a taste of the brand - too bad he isn't buying a manual.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Cheers guys! Going to look at a 997 for my dad tomorrow, so I'll atleast get a taste of the brand - too bad he isn't buying a manual.
My uncle got invited to the 'porsche Experience' last week (he owns 2 and about to buy his third) and had a +1 so he asked me to join. We drove the GTS version of all models in their new lineups (911 GTS, cayman GTS, boxster GTS, cayenne GTS). It was a BLAST! Was a 'spirited' track drive, following an instructor, left us with a nice feel of all the cars. Definitely something you would enjoy and get you into the brand as well as a feel for the cars themselves. One keyword I can think of is VERY REFINED!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
That sounds awesome! The GTS is actually the model he is looking at. Initially, he was going to go for a stripped down GT3, but decided he'd rather have the comfort of the GTS. His DD is a Lexus GS350, so I told him any of the 997 would be a breath of fresh air haha.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Well, I did it - traded in my STi for a 2016 Nissan 370z Enthusiast edition last night. It's been a blast at IWSTI. I learned more about cars than I thought I ever would and saw some insane builds.

Trying to keep the Nissan as stock as possible for atleast a year, but we'll see how that goes ;).

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, I did it - traded in my STi for a 2016 Nissan 370z Enthusiast edition last night. It's been a blast at IWSTI. I learned more about cars than I thought I ever would and saw some insane builds.

Trying to keep the Nissan as stock as possible for atleast a year, but we'll see how that goes ;).

Cheers guys!
Wow congrats on the new car! You had a good build going!

221 - 237 of 237 Posts