IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...

I bought my 05 used (barely) from Chicago and it came with Kumo all-seasons on it. I just got new RE070s on it two days ago and partly because I was doing some canyon carving and slide out on my getting ready for replacement tires. I got lucky and only did about $200 of paint damage to the car (looks skyward).

So, how much warning am I going to get from the Pontenzas before they start to lose grip...are they going to make a lot of noise...slide a little and then progressivly more, or just lose it all at once...??? By they way I have 29mm and 24mm Whiteline sways on the car as my only suspension, so far, if you think that will play into the answer.

Thanks for the insight...just looking for a heads up :)

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
They will let you know.. trust me.. when you push the car, it will push (maybe not so much with those sways, but the car will push some) and scream back at you :)

do yourself a favor... take your speedracer self to the track (hpde). Its safe and will cost you about the same.. oh and its legal as well ;)

·
Registered
800 Posts
spazegun2213 said:
They will let you know.. trust me.. when you push the car, it will push (maybe not so much with those sways, but the car will push some) and scream back at you :)

do yourself a favor... take your speedracer self to the track (hpde). Its safe and will cost you about the same.. oh and its legal as well ;)
+974321354

too much initial d on peoples minds. the lack of research baffles me. "i bought this *insert product*, will it (a: fit, b: rub, c: correct offset, d: warning indicators)?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are you talking about STIBLITZ...I read up on cars for a YEAR before I bought mine...I don't play racing games at all...only know what Initial D is because I am a high school teacher, and I would NEVER put anything on my car without reading some, and then some more, and after that even more...I spent months decided what suspension to do first and read any thread with sways and springs in the title, read everything by Scott Siegal and so on and so on...so I hope your ranting isn't at me...in which case I wonder why it's on "my" post... Lot's of people drive spirited in canyons. My Piloti shoes are the "Muholland" edition, which is a famous canyon here in So. cal...and when Inside line wanted to test the new Mx-5, they specificialy said they took it on two of California's best driving roads...one of which they said is Highway 33, the one I slid on, and I think I might have even hit some gravel on the road...I've done plenty of driving there, on the 150 and all in the caynons in Malibu...and so it's not some impluse thing with me...and at 32, I've never got 1...yes...not one, speading ticket (well I got one, in town coming from the store, but beat it, duh.). I don't even think I didn't read tons of stuff on tires too...I just wanted to try to stock tires, so I can see what the ones that Subaru matched the cars with are like...plus TONS of people love them. I even have a list sitting RIGHT here next to me of the other tires I was thinking of...pretty much Falkens, or the Advans...so me asking a simple question about the warning level is, in a way, just making conversation and getting some pointers from my internet car friends. Anyway, don't assume too much, makes you look....just like my response might make me look like a hurt, angry hot-head...which I normally am not.

-SK

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, just to see what kind of "guy you are" are read some of your other posts just now...nice to see you won't post your wheel off-sets to other people...you see what most people thought of that...guess I am not alone thinking what I think.

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
SamKochel said:
Oh, just to see what kind of "guy you are" are read some of your other posts just now...nice to see you won't post your wheel off-sets to other people...you see what most people thought of that...guess I am not alone thinking what I think.
Sam, pardon us.. but just about every day we get someone thats your students age posting up about how they just totaled the car their parents bought them. I'll be the first to admit I'm a little bit of a track snob ;) To much speed + roads = problems.

Ok, you want the low down on tires.. here it is ;)
1) RE70's GREAT tires, becuase you can find them for 350 a set for take offs! I used them for tracking and would almost put them back on for street driving but they lack any real wet traction. In the Dry, again, i think they are on par with ANY other performance tires.
2) Falken rt-615 (azenis or however they are spelled) the NExt best performance tire. They are the best bang for the buck, in that their dry traction is GREAT, and they are also good in the wet. ALL, and i mean ALL my friends that track/autox their cars drive on them.. they will be the next set i buy for my 18's
3) the Advan 07's (i think they are the 07's) are another great set of tires, but they are outside my price range. I hear (i dont know) they are the pinicle of dry traction, but i have never used them, and all i can say is for the price, they better be!

thats the offical spazegun tire lowdown ;)

as for offsets, I have My stockers (55mm i beleive) and my 5Zigens 18x8.5 in 45mm (i think they are 45 at least)

I have DS-G3's (eagle f1's) on the car now. They have GREAT wet traction, i mean AMAZING wet traction, but their dry traction is not on par to the 70's.

and dont be afraid to post up about anything... we have all done stupid stuff in our cars ;)

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
SamKochel said:
Sheesh.

Everyone gets so bent out of shape. As long as everyone is safe out there, I'm happy. :tup:

Welcome to the site man!

Oh, and good choice on the WL bars, they are perfect for your stock spring setup.

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
LOLSTi said:
Sheesh.

Everyone gets so bent out of shape. As long as everyone is safe out there, I'm happy. :tup:

Welcome to the site man!

Oh, and good choice on the WL bars, they are perfect for your stock spring setup.

haha, well i was a bit of an ass though ;)

yea, as long as people are safe out there. These are high performance cars, and as i said speed + public roads = no good. But dont be afraid to ask stupid questions.. we ALL did (search my SN, i asked a ton of stupid questions), as long as you searched a little before you ask, you'll get good replys :)

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
STIBLITZ said:
+974321354

too much initial d on peoples minds. the lack of research baffles me. "i bought this *insert product*, will it (a: fit, b: rub, c: correct offset, d: warning indicators)?

I'll go one further and say it amazes me that so many dont bother to learn how to drive correctly and get the feel for the car before just pushing the crap out of it...

·
Registered
800 Posts
2fas4u said:
I'll go one further and say it amazes me that so many dont bother to learn how to drive correctly and get the feel for the car before just pushing the crap out of it...
^^^ quoted for the truth!

this is exactly what i mean! but ofcourse im a big meanie for statements.

spazegun2213 said:
Sam, pardon us.. but just about every day we get someone thats your students age posting up about how they just totaled the car their parents bought them. I'll be the first to admit I'm a little bit of a track snob To much speed + roads = problems.

Ok, you want the low down on tires.. here it is
1) RE70's GREAT tires, becuase you can find them for 350 a set for take offs! I used them for tracking and would almost put them back on for street driving but they lack any real wet traction. In the Dry, again, i think they are on par with ANY other performance tires.
2) Falken rt-615 (azenis or however they are spelled) the NExt best performance tire. They are the best bang for the buck, in that their dry traction is GREAT, and they are also good in the wet. ALL, and i mean ALL my friends that track/autox their cars drive on them.. they will be the next set i buy for my 18's
3) the Advan 07's (i think they are the 07's) are another great set of tires, but they are outside my price range. I hear (i dont know) they are the pinicle of dry traction, but i have never used them, and all i can say is for the price, they better be!

thats the offical spazegun tire lowdown
+98713131

thanks for the explanation

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
spazegun2213 said:
if you do it right, the 70's can squeel and push like a mofo.

yea if you go a bit to fast into a corner they will scream at you (as you understeer off line) ,lol.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
SamKochel said:
Hey...

I bought my 05 used (barely) from Chicago and it came with Kumo all-seasons on it. I just got new RE070s on it two days ago and partly because I was doing some canyon carving and slide out on my getting ready for replacement tires. I got lucky and only did about $200 of paint damage to the car (looks skyward).
You should really scrub the tires in before "canyon carving". It usually takes about 500 miles to get them scrubbed in. Secondly, what were your air pressures?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the help...

I should mention that the tires I slid with were the Kumo all-season tires...I am still breaking in the RE070s. I had driving wtih the Kumos for about a year and slowly learned their limit...even good drivers (not that I am) lose it now and then...and there may...may...but I don't KNOW, have been gravel on the road...because I was really surprised myself to lose so much traction...I've driven that road, Mulholland, Highway 150, and all the other local canyons quite a bit and NEVER had a slid into the hill before...it's amazing how much people have wrote concerning my slide...don't more people here have times when they push a little too hard, clip something, slide too far, spin the car...etc...

so in about another 300 miles, the RE070s (which are already gripping better than the Kumos), will be ready for some more serious study, out on the desloate canyons of So.Cal.

cheers,
Sam

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
SamKochel said:
Thanks for all the help...

I should mention that the tires I slid with were the Kumo all-season tires...I am still breaking in the RE070s. I had driving wtih the Kumos for about a year and slowly learned their limit...even good drivers (not that I am) lose it now and then...and there may...may...but I don't KNOW, have been gravel on the road...because I was really surprised myself to lose so much traction...I've driven that road, Mulholland, Highway 150, and all the other local canyons quite a bit and NEVER had a slid into the hill before...it's amazing how much people have wrote concerning my slide...don't more people here have times when they push a little too hard, clip something, slide too far, spin the car...etc...

so in about another 300 miles, the RE070s (which are already gripping better than the Kumos), will be ready for some more serious study, out on the desloate canyons of So.Cal.

cheers,
Sam

Tire pressures are something to think a little about maybe 30-35 (cold), depending on how warm you get them, but i would not worry too much about that. My canyon carving advice for you is "slow in fast out." Feel the tires out, and try at all costs to stay in your lane.....

thats about it, i could go on for hours about how do drive an sti, but I'll save you all that.

oh one more thing, as SOON as it starts raining, slow down, i have had some close calls on 70s in the rain, or even if its a little wet.

thats all, and you will enjoy your tires!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"slow in fast out." Feel the tires out, and try at all costs to stay in your lane..... " -spaze

Yeah, the lane thing I am really good about, feeling them out...but I think in the case I mentioned came in a little hotter than I should have. Good advice, thanks!

SK

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
Just to be the ass that I am.

For a teacher your puncuation sucks. (see snippet below).

SamKochel said:
I had driving wtih the Kumos for about a year and slowly learned their limit...even good drivers (not that I am) lose it now and then...and there may...may...but I don't KNOW, have been gravel on the road...because ...etc...

cheers,
Sam
Just a few of my honest opinions,

Tire pressures on the RE070s should be ~35/f 30/r (cold).

Also, please don't be "testing" your limits on the canyons. Sure, all of us have had our time where we screwed up, but you're suppose to learn from that.

"Test" your limits at the track or at an autox, then enjoy your new found limits safely on the desolate roads you speak of.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts