IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if it's safe to spray the motor off with a high pressure water sprayer...like the type found at most do-it-yourself high pressure spray car washes?...just wondering how to keep the engine and engine bay clean....any suggestions would be great.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Go to your local auto shop and buy "foamy engine bright" i have used it on my show cars for years and it really does wonders.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Simple Green and a LIGHT hosing off, your STi engine bay shouldn't have accumulated that much gook warranting the use of a pressure washer.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Roadrnr37 and Stee....I'm writing both of these products down and will check next time I'm able to visit a local Autozone or Hi/Lo or whatever.....Haven't had the need yet to clean out the engine bay yet. But I CAN NOT stand a dirty engine. Besides, it's the motor that the majority of us are most proud of......, so we should all love poppin' our hoods and seeing a clean motor. Anyways, I'll check those products out..thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
No, it's actually better/safer to use low pressure water. I have cleaned my engine a number of times now with no problems. I don't cover anything either. I don't douche the alternator or battery, but I don't bother covering them. I cleaned my old legacy engine a number of times also while I owned it and had no problems. I don't do it often though, probably a couple times a year, especially first thing come spring.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've never had enough balls to spray my engine compartment full of water. What I do is with every car wash (about once a week), I just do a quick detail in the engine compartment, use simple green and clean around here and there. However if you do I'd highly recommend you cover up your alternator and battery, or any exposed wires/harnesses. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I high pressure spray it from about 5 ft away when I wash the car. Its not really high pressure by then, but gets the crud off the engine. Espescially in the winter, that scoop brings all kind of crap in there.

Don

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wrap the alternator in a drytowel and use a neutral soap (Simply Green, Mother's, P21S). I've used a garden hose or a 1500 psi sprayer. I never blast the anything too hard. I use the neutral soap because I fear corrosion, so (it sounds crazy, but I've seen it done) don't use oven cleaner on the car. Yes it cuts grease, but it will dissolve rubber too. Stay away from acid/caustic cleaners, unfortunately they are also the ones that cut grease the best. They will say on the bottle/can if the are acidic or caustic (basic).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Okay I'm about to clean my engine. I have to double check! So here's how I'm going to do it. Cover up my alternator. Spray the whole engine with water...spray simple green all over the engine ...then rinse by spraying water. I will be just using my hose. Is that really all it takes to clean the engine? I got a 04 STi and I want it to be able to start after I clean it!

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts