IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here cleaned their engine at the car wash?
If so how? what? the outcome?

The reason why I ask is because owners manual doesn't recommend it.
Would like some feeback for the other STi owners.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Dammit! My STi has been brutally violated

every second of third car wash, i pop the hood and rinse off the engine and clean out the intercooler. right now, i'm just using water from the hose and a old rag. eventually, i'll be doing soap and water. no problems so far. since the engine is flat, there are no spark plug wheels to worry about filling up. there's no mechanical distributor to foul. as long as i don't do any high-pressure washes at close range, i figure it should be fine.

btw, you can delete the other identical thread you started. do it quick before someone posts on it.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
any of you use this? CG Lock...

We've gone over this before....but ok.

Every wash...just pop the hood and blow the dust off. When you're done drying the rest of the car, take the towel to the engine bay. If you stay on top of things, you will never need more than a nice soak of cold water to keep things looking brand new.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i don't know if anyone has tried this or not but that armorall tire foam sutff
worked real good on the engine in my Ram truck, but only problem was it
seemed like the thing got addicted to it and never really shined up unless
i used that tire foam stuff again, but it looked brand new.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
An additive???

Anyway, I use a citris based engine cleaner and some stuff made to spray on the engine after cleaning it, kind of like amorall, that shines it up. I would just be careful with high pressure spray when rinsing. At the diy car washes I just dont pull the trigger when I rinse. Also I only clean engines a couple times a year, probably more with the STi due to the scoop though.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i wipe mt engine down every couple of days with just a damp cloth and water...i found that if i keep on top of it it stays clean. i also wipe the rubber down with son of a gun protectant....i also have a heated garage so it's easy for me to do this .

·
Registered
68 Posts
My STi in Austin

i keep everything tidy except the intake manifold the red wrinkle is tough to clean

·
Registered
53 Posts
Try faomy enigne brigth by Gunk... we use it on show cars and boy does it do wonders....

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ya simple green or greased lightning cleans good and fast :)

Robert~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts