IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw the post about cleaning the outside of the engine bay off and made me think (epsecially for those who dont have catch cans), should we (and is it 100% safe) run those greased lightning products and what not to clean out junk in the engine? You know like the fuel treatments... the engine oil treatments... and such. Do you know if they will help and what not. I want this car to last forever (or however long possible) and I know this stuff works good (cleaned out my NA supra), just didnt know if having a turbo through in a problem.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I've always used Simple Green with a light hosing off afterwards. Works great. Just watch electrical components.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
staticx313 said:
...should we (and is it 100% safe) run those greased lightning products and what not to clean out junk in the engine?
a gallon of warm water and a mild detergent poured into the intake has worked wonders in the past. all joking aside, i don't think we'd need that stuff anytime soon. i'm convinced those products may be more suited to engine whose insides actually get dirty; i.e. they're burning oil, plugs are prematurely fouled, the engine has symptoms of buildup, yada yada. and i'm not sure that just having a turbo will necessarily cause the insides to get dirty faster. dunno.

·
Registered
243 Posts
ya I know the point of this post was to focus on cleaning the inside on the motor but on the outside cleaning, do be careful... cover everything electric you can find and try not to forget about the coil packs on the side of the motor. although the car is built to withstand water, not in mass quantities like you use when cleaning it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've heard discussion before that all that teflon additive stuff was bs and didn't provide any help.

Especially in a new motor.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
??? Im kinda confused... I got one post actually talking about cleaning out the insides of the car. There is another thread about cleaning off then engine... and i understand that. I stated I read that so that it wouldnt be brought up in here ;)... anyways no biggie. I was just wanting to keep the insides of my engine in tip top shape. Im approaching 15k miles and will be doing all my paranoia searches for any problems lol and doing my regular maintenance (that probably isnt needed). Yes Antimullet... I believe that ZMAX stuff was junk and that they were even sued and whatnot... greased lightning is a different product and helped my supra out a bunch, i know that for sure as it was running kinda poorly. Anyways... if you guys know of anything to keep the inside of the engine at its best , post em up :)!

Robert~

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
If you're really worried, take off the oil pan and find some way to.... well, i'll say "spray" even though that's not exactly what i'm looking for.... the bottom half of the engine internals with clean oil. And do the same with the bottom of the oil pan....

That should get rid of anything that could've collected in there over time.

My guess though, is that it's not a problem. Doing more-frequent-than-necessary oil changes will accomplish pretty much the same thing, and just kinda flush the whole system out.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya i just planned running that engine cleaner and fuel cleaner stuff every now and then.. like said, no big deal. Just looking for tips to keep everything in tip top shape :) thansk bitabur.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
As always, trying to help. Let us know if you decide to try out any system cleaners, and what your review is if so. It probably can't hurt, and if you notice an improvement, it would be good to know about it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: stupid sl 55 amg owner

This is what I used to do to my 96 300ZX TT and the engine with 100K miles was in top condition. I always used synthetic oil (Mobil1) and changed it religiously every 3k miles. After every oil change I added a bottle of Redline Fuel injector cleaner. I followed all required maintenances but didnt overdo anything, other than that I walway used good gas (never bough at cheap, unknown places). And yes the car was driven hard everyday, going and coming from work. You wouldnt believe that my car had 100k miles when you sat on it. No shaking, no ticking and a lot of power. I'm planning on doing the same to the Sti. (Changing to synthetic after first oil change).

·
Registered
97 Posts
staticx313 said:
??? Im kinda confused... I got one post actually talking about cleaning out the insides of the car. There is another thread about cleaning off then engine... and i understand that. I stated I read that so that it wouldnt be brought up in here ;)... anyways no biggie. I was just wanting to keep the insides of my engine in tip top shape. Im approaching 15k miles and will be doing all my paranoia searches for any problems lol and doing my regular maintenance (that probably isnt needed). Yes Antimullet... I believe that ZMAX stuff was junk and that they were even sued and whatnot... greased lightning is a different product and helped my supra out a bunch, i know that for sure as it was running kinda poorly. Anyways... if you guys know of anything to keep the inside of the engine at its best , post em up :)!

Robert~
As long as your engine management is tuned correctly (to keep from fouling), you flush your coolant at a normal schedule, and change your oil every 3k with synthetic you will be just fine and so will the inside of your motor. Also, try to keep away from constantly running gas treatment fluids that are supposed to clean your injectors and such. Some of those really strip off all the carbon crystalization off the tops of the pistons and that will cause your car to no perform to 100% until it builds back up a bit. (Carbon crystalization is not carbon buildup, so let's not harp on that boys and girls.) Overall, doing your regular maintenance with fuilds will keep your motor in tip top shape. If you drive like a bat out of hell, change your oil every 2k because you will contaminate it at a quicker rate. Remember that some of those aftermarket fuilds and oil treatments that are supposed to bring back power and maintain proper piston ring to wall gap are only supposed to be used if you have a pos car that's running shitty and you don't want to do the proper thing to fix it... (i.e. replace the rings!)

Anyway, keep your normal fluids clean and changed and your engine will be just fine. (I speak from experience.)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright thanks everyone :) I just wanted to make sure the greased lightning engine cleaning stuff was turbo safe (as I thought I heard something wierd about stuff like that and turbos). I will use their fuel injector cleaners as well every now and then :) thanks!

Robert~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts