IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my to Church's automotive Daniel Butler tuned my car he rushed my car into the shop without asking any questions about the car what the build was what the prior tune was the car came in with all new things boost set at 13.5 the first pool that he did he raised the boost over 20 psi so the head gasket blew he looked at me and said your car is unknown but I will use your money to fix it and transferred my car to a unknown location to get it fixed when the car was done and return back to the shop he returned the car and there was another issue the person he sent the car to forgot to leave a VTech oil passageway in the engine block so he had to take it apart again once the tune was all done few months later the car started acting funny when I reached out to Church's to speak to Sean and Daniel they both told me that I have to pay them first for them to address the concern horrible place horrible customer service greedy people

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are very right. EXCEPT! they forgot that I was recording everything. And was allowed to record. Beautiful part is. The shop he took it to has wrote me a statement stating what was told by churches. And another important thing. They will not give me a invoice or receipt. So they dug there own grave. I found a great tuner in van nuys that is 3 times better then them idiots

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
U ever herd . You break it you fix it. I can care less about the law. That's my law. And I stand firm on that. They blew the car up. And kept he's Dyno money. And I paid to get it fixed. I'm sorry but churches automotive is a poor value of a tuning shop. It's FUNNY HOW THEY ONLY TOOK CASH FROM ME. someone ducking Uncle Sam.

·
Registered
776 Posts
cars blow up on the dyno even with good tuners. still gonna be a super hard sell to say they caused the issue. you'll probably have to shell out ALOT in legal fees and that doesnt guarentee you'll get anything. and if they file for bankrupcy, even if you win you may not get anything. i wish you luck.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sorry but I 100% disagree with the
I'm taking them to court. And reported to automotive business beriu.
I had good experience with Church. Look bud, in the Subaru gang you need to not blame other people when YOUR car fails. This is a pay to play game and if you dont turn wrenches then dont be mad when you also take your car to some random shop for them to put a civic motor in it. Church tuned my car 2 times now and its perfect. He is a very knowledgeable dude and Daniel too. Also I disagree witb you on the cash payment only, he take credit and cash. Im calling BS on your story.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awwww you must be one of there top fans ! First of f#$k churches they are scam artist. Just because u had good experience wit them don't mean everyone has as well. It don't matter what kind of car u have.all they care about is time and money they don't give a rat ass about your car. A tuner is soppose to break your tune down for u. Or at least ask you what your set is not pull a car into a shop throw on the Dyno and start to rip without asking any questions about the car. Past experiences with tuning as seen friends go get there car tune. The tuner is asking them what are your goals and what do u have who tune it prior or who built the engine is it sleeved is it built Simi built. Nothing was asked lol he rushed the car in. Blew it up. And went to the next car. There ruthless bussniess men. And for them shit about to hit the fan. I'm sure there's alot of others that was hurt by them. But they just don't got the balls to speak out but hey thank you for your opinion . At the end of the day that all it is your opinion.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Both times I went to Church he did ask what was done to my car and what turbo/injectors/flex fuel kit I had. I remember I replied with these exact words “blow it up” when he asked me how much power I was looking to make(only made 408whp)😂. Thats probably because I built my car in my garage with my tools and knowledge with alot of help from the iwsti community. And just so you know thats on stock head gaskets running a 2.5xtr. Im willing to bet your cars motor was not in tip top shape before entering the dyno session hense why it blew a gasket. My car is running 23.5 psi and spikes to 24 at times and it runs great on gasoline and e80. What turbo are you running? Head gaskets shouldnt be failing at 20psi fyi.

·
Super Moderator
8,957 Posts
I understand your frustration, however, a head gasket failure is hardly blowing up the motor. I recently had a head gasket go on the dyno, which started at low power levels and only crept up in the overflow bottle with every pull, slowly. Timing started low, boost was brought up, then timing was added to see where it stopped having large increases in power, before backing it off. The owner, which is a member here, noticed the coolant starting to come up early, but suspected he might have possibly had an air bubble. Currently, the motor is apart and everything is good and straight. The mating surfaces are being cleaned up and being put together with new, but different gaskets and will run again.

In the end, the motor is perfectly fine, but needs new gaskets. The failure has a few theories, but we don't know for sure why. That said, trying to take someone to court for a head gasket, which isn't a blown motor, will likely be a waste of your time and money.

As far as the other details of your experience, I won't even try to address. Having not been there and knowing how these things go, it's really hard to say what anyone was thinking or doing. Also, if you were on gasoline, it's really hard to blow a gasket based on a tune with too much timing as it will knock and pull timing. The car does not have "vtech" since it's not a phone, and nor does it have VTEC, so I can only guess as to what is going on. If the motor is physically solid, I'd just find another tuner. If the cars started running funny, MONTHS later, it's really hard to say what may or may not have gone 'wrong' in that time. If I have a tune that is doing well for months and then and issue happens, I do question what was going on at the time or any work or lack of work that may have happened at the time. If they are requesting payment prior to work... they can do that. I do that, because I have been screwed on payment in the past and everyone gets treated as if they may not be good people when it comes to payment. Do I hate doing that? Yes, actually. But if someone's build spins a bearing after I send them a tune and they don't want to pay... It's not my map that spun the bearing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts