·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,681

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,682
So here I present the biggest mod yet!!! HOUSE MOD & SUPER GARAGE MOD!

After a long long road of trying to get a house, Lauren and I finally got what we thought would never happen, our dream house! Fully custom, and BRAND SPANKING NEW! We break ground tomorrow, now I will finally have my own garage space and no more apartment life THANK GOD! I will be able to take more pics of my cars and parts, and wash my cars whenever I want instead of going to a wash bay only to find some shmuck parked there since the night before! More to come, but here are the plans!

House:

Side of the house (Yes that is a huge 3 car garage, over 700 sq ft):

Detached Garage (30ftx50ft, 1500 sq ft!):

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Attached and detached. Awesome!

Get a separate heat pump for the garage (the attached one). You really only use it when you know you're going to be out there, but it will be VERY convenient in the winter cold months and summer heat.

Work with your builder on the roof rafters so you can have clearance for a lift :)

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,686
Thanks! Yah the detached garage will have 12ft ceilings, 4 inches of concrete with 6 inches on concrete for the center bay for a two post lift. The left bay will have a 4 post lift which 4 inches is perfect for. For heating in the detached, I will use a kerosene heater which will heat that detached in about 10 mins, just need one with like 450k btu.

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
Join Garagejournal dot com for more ideas on how to outfit that garage.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,688
^I am on that forum, sneaking around.....the next thing after we settle in will be getting electricity to the detached, then a rear deck for the house. Then lifts!

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
^I am on that forum, sneaking around.....the next thing after we settle in will be getting electricity to the detached, then a rear deck for the house. Then lifts!

Great! I love that Forum - though it has caused me to spend when I should not have as you know from viewing it. Your new space will see plenty of use for sure. Once you get the electricity and lifts installed. Oh and least I forget the nice house you will have, potential room for eight or more!

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
20 amp outlets and 220 service would be nice too :)

Newer homes in my area have ~2° floor pitch to the door. I wouldn't want this if a lift were going to be installed, but worth checking with code and builder for a work around.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,691
Yah the floor will be level. It will built by the Amish and they frame like trim carpenters so they are really good have clean cuts, the bonus is that the same guys are framing the house! That is the plan to run 220 out there! I will be doing it with my friend who is licensed to run that stuff! So technically I will have well over 2200 sq ft of garage space! So much better than my current garage (I have 2 at the apartment) which is two cars deep. So the WRX and STi are nuts to butts in that 2 deep garage. Then the S2000 is in its own garage with the bike and jetski. Then the truck sits outside the Subaru garage lol. Yah its a mess, plus Lauren's Civic Si will get her own garage spot in the attached garage for the house. Yup you counted correctly 6 cars (including the Camaro at my parent's house) plus a jetski and motorcycle! I will post pics as they build the house. I plan on having all you guys (who can make it) come over a super FAST AND FURIOUS Family BBQ~!

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
20 amp outlets and 220 service would be nice too :)

Newer homes in my area have ~2° floor pitch to the door. I wouldn't want this if a lift were going to be installed, but worth checking with code and builder for a work around.
^^^^ This and plenty outlets.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,693
YES! I want to have outlets just about every 6-8 ft!

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Before you put a thing in that garage... Epoxy coating. Do the prep, get the good stuff, and you'll be so happy you did.

5-6 feet between outlets. I know it sounds like a lot, but you'll find they go quick. An alternative is use nice work benches from like globalindustrial.com with plugs built into them. No plug strips!

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,695
Glad you said that! I was thinking of using UCoat-It for the epoxy floors. What do you recommend being the best epoxy application? For the attached garage I will paint the walls and make it nice with ribbed swisstrax since the detached is where all the work will be. I was thinking of the New Age cabinets and bench combo or Sabre?

Before you put a thing in that garage... Epoxy coating. Do the prep, get the good stuff, and you'll be so happy you did.

5-6 feet between outlets. I know it sounds like a lot, but you'll find they go quick. An alternative is use nice work benches from like globalindustrial.com with plugs built into them. No plug strips!

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
Glad you said that! I was thinking of using UCoat-It for the epoxy floors. What do you recommend being the best epoxy application? For the attached garage I will paint the walls and make it nice with ribbed swisstrax since the detached is where all the work will be. I was thinking of the New Age cabinets and bench combo or Sabre?
Check also with the coating vendor on GJ for recommendations.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Congrats on that awesomeness your about to build! Still waiting for a prodrive diff guard to fall off your car haha

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,698
Thanks! Hah which one? I have 2:rofl:

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,700
More progress on the house! Since Feb 15, they are moving right along! Yesterday they started on the detached garage. They only work M-F and lost a few days with the snow but they are moving fast! You can see what the attached garage will kind of look like. It has 3 large windows and one small window, its a 3 car garage with a small nook that you can fit a motorcycle or two in. More to come!

They went from this to a roof and the second floor completed in less than a week

Current progress pic:

Reactions: got2boostit2
7681 - 7700 of 7729 Posts