IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: Chris & Monique's 05 STi "Turbine"

Speedometer quit working this morning on the way to work. A bad problem to have with a car like this. I've read about it before, and pretty sure that's covered under one of the codes it throwing. I've heard it could be a sensor on the transmission, all the way to taking the entire dash apart. Anyone reading this had this problem? It started acting goofy about 15 minutes into my drive, 10 minutes later it went to completely not working.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Speedometer quit working this morning on the way to work. A bad problem to have with a car like this. I've read about it before, and pretty sure that's covered under one of the codes it throwing. I've heard it could be a sensor on the transmission, all the way to taking the entire dash apart. Anyone reading this had this problem? It started acting goofy about 15 minutes into my drive, 10 minutes later it went to completely not working.

Ahh you don't need no speedo. I've driven all my manuals with the tach anyways, after about two weeks you should know about what rpm and gear relates to a certain speed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Ahh you don't need no speedo. I've driven all my manuals with the tach anyways, after about two weeks you should know about what rpm and gear relates to a certain speed.
I'm sure you are just being sarcastic, but my commute is 44 miles one way. Mountains, 4 school zones, and the abundance of cops lately makes me think I need one. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts

I'm sure you are just being sarcastic, but my commute is 44 miles one way. Mountains, 4 school zones, and the abundance of cops lately makes me think I need one. ;)

Just a touch but I know in mine 65 is a needle width above 2500 in 6th, 55 is around 2300 in 6th, 45 is about 2500 in 5th. It's just getting to know the car, really easy since the tach is right in the center. But again that's just me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

I'm getting to know it better. I do study the tach, and exhaust note.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

So after work yesterday the speedo worked fine, all the way home. It did rain all day, which from what I've read, does have an affect. Still curious what the issue is.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

From Service Manual:

The ABS or VDC control module calculates the vehicle speed based on signals from the four wheel speed sensors and sends vehicle speed signals (4 pulses per rotation of wheel) to the speedometer drive circuit and odometer/trip meter drive circuit in the speedometer.

But wiring diagram shows Vehicle Speed Sensor. I'll have to look at it later for more info to generate clues. I seem to remember a member here recently saying he had to replace something in the transmission for his speedo issue. I'll remember who later.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

From a full tank, babied all the way to half tank. 136 miles on it. I didn't buy this car for the mileage, but it seems like it drinks more than my 5.7L Tundra. Does this sound about right? 95% of the time I'm driving with no boost, or very little.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Driving like a normal sane person I get right around 18 mpg which is bout 140ish per half tank.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Chris & Monique's 05 STi "Turbine"

Thanks Mayday, I feel better now. :D
I know it's a pretty decent size 4 cyl, but damn. :eek:

Put that go fast pedal to the floor a couple times and watch the gas needle sink in the gauge. I reset the "a" trip meter at each fill up and just divide the miles by gallons I put in to keep an idea of how it's performing. At least if I see it dropping down a good amount and my driving hasn't changed I can start looking for issues before they get worse.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

So upon reading a gazillion posts about oil, I've decided to stray from my faithful Mobil 1. I've come to one of 2, Rotella or Royal purple. These are the only 2 that I can get locally, and it seems from all the posts I've read, Shell is the choice by most. So tell me, as I understand and from the owners manual, its 5W-30, but which one? T5 or T6? I'' be changing my oil this weekend.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

So upon reading a gazillion posts about oil, I've decided to stray from my faithful Mobil 1. I've come to one of 2, Rotella or Royal purple. These are the only 2 that I can get locally, and it seems from all the posts I've read, Shell is the choice by most. So tell me, as I understand and from the owners manual, its 5W-30, but which one? T5 or T6? I'' be changing my oil this weekend.
T6 5w40 is what a lot of people run. the formula changed recently but UOA's still look good.

·
Registered
479 Posts

I'll never understand using an oil designed for a diesel in a gas powered car. Does it work? Yea. I've run it too. But I did lose oil and it doesn't have the proper detergents (rotella). Also, I don't think royal purple is all that good either. Bobistheoilguy.com is a good source of info. I used to use German Castrol but I think that changed years ago. Amsoil all the way.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Well I'm tired of putting oil in it every 200 miles or so. My Forester burns Mobil 1, but not as bad as my STi.

·
Registered
479 Posts

Well I'm tired of putting oil in it every 200 miles or so. My Forester burns Mobil 1, but not as bad as my STi.
Take it with a grain of salt as Ive not researched in a good while but, Mobil 1 is not very good. While it is true that a lot of guys run T6, it is meant for Diesel engines. With this said, it doesn't have the proper detergents for a gas engine. UOA is not bad for T6 but I personally prefer amsoil as I believe it to be a superior oil that is designed for gas engines.

Also, if you sign up with amsoil, the prices are quite fair and on par with other oil available. That aside, they ship to your house.. What's not to love?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Hard to find locally for me. We have Auto Zone, O'Reilley, Advance Auto and Napa. But I refuse to go to Napa because of their prices.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Take it with a grain of salt as Ive not researched in a good while but, Mobil 1 is not very good. While it is true that a lot of guys run T6, it is meant for Diesel engines. With this said, it doesn't have the proper detergents for a gas engine. UOA is not bad for T6 but I personally prefer amsoil as I believe it to be a superior oil that is designed for gas engines.

Also, if you sign up with amsoil, the prices are quite fair and on par with other oil available. That aside, they ship to your house.. What's not to love?
Shell markets it primarily as diesel engine oil, but it meets the certifications required by many gasoline engines as well. T6 is technically at "fleet" oil that can be used in both gasoline and diesel engines. The primary concern using it in a gas engine would be that if you're burning oil, T6 is worse for the o2 sensors can catalytic converter(s) than oil formulated strictly for gasoline engines.

With that said, I run Motul in my STi :D I ran T6 in my DD bugeye WRX when I had it since it was inexpensive and I changed the oil every 3-4K anyhow.

This year I'll be giving Miller's Racing Oil a shot.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts