IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone from East Tennessee! New STi owner as of last night. I'm calling it Turbine, I know, I know, very original, but whatever, I like the way it sounds. I also think that people that don't name their car are strange, just me... Thanks to everyone helping convince me to jump after this car (Good deal or walk away?) I'm new to Turbo's, not new to Subaru's. My name is Chris and I'm a Mechanical Designer working for the DOE at the moment. I'm a total noob to these cars, and I'll appreciate anyone's and everyone's thoughts and opinions. So much so, that last night I tried backing it in to my garage, I literally had to take out the owners manual to figure it out. I've always wondered why these shift knobs looked the way they do. It's ok to laugh at my expense, you were once a newbie as well.

Today will be the first time I will have seen it in daylight. But I can say it looks damn near new on the inside. With the exception of a horrible head unit, that will come out eventually. I'd rather listen to the engine anyways. And I haven't had it above 4,500 RPM, yet. I just wanted it to get home safely.

We drove it 4 hours home last night with a smile on my face the whole time. When my wife drove it (I was following in our truck) I laughed my ass off every time some one tried to pass her, I heard that deep rumble and she was gone. Literally laughing out loud, because I know she had a smile on her face. :)

The car is throwing 2 codes, P0502 & P0851, I haven't looked into them yet, and I will, but the car is cat-less, so I know that's one reason my check engine light is on. Sorry for the crap pic, uploading images from a government computer can be challenging. It will be getting a bath, clay bar, and a wax this Saturday. I don't think it's ever been waxed, poor thing. In our possession this car will be loved.

More to come.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
DTC P0851 NEUTRAL SWITCH INPUT CIRCUIT LOW

DTC P0502 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW INPUT

Nice acquisition, good luck with it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DTC P0851 NEUTRAL SWITCH INPUT CIRCUIT LOW

DTC P0502 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW INPUT

Nice acquisition, good luck with it.
Thanks for the info. This car has yet to get the airbag recall done yet, so I might ask for Subaru to fix these issues. I'm not to electrically inclined to be honest. I'd likely make a problem into a bigger problem.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blobeye for life, nice find! Lots of good people here, keep us updated as you make changes :D
The blobeye has been my favorite, besides the 22B of course. I was going down that road following the 2.5RS site along with this one. Those guys are asking 18k-25k for decent ones that aren't rust buckets. Dents, scratches, rock chips I can live with. Rust, hell no. :lol:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Things I want immediately address:
1. parking light bulb in the drives head light. I've read somewhere on here you have to take out the whole headlight assembly, no biggie.
2. change my rear corner blinkers from blue/white back to orange. (yes, I'm one of those who prefer orange blinkers. Call me old fashioned).
3. Adjust the parking brake, when pulled all the way up, it does not hold the car. Hopefully not a bigger issue than pulling the center console and adjusting the cable.
Front brakes feel pretty good, might need to flush/bleed soon.
4. Find a boost gauge that is back lit, (pic attached) If anyone is getting rid of one, let me know.
5. Wash, clay bar, wax, take pictures. This will happen this weekend. I'll try to post them from home.
6. Get real keys from Subaru. Of course the used car lot only had one, the grey one. Figures...

I'm all ears to quick little things to make this car more enjoyable.
Keep in mind, a mortgage, 3 car payments, insurance on 4, and a shit load of other bills. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Things I want immediately address:
1. parking light bulb in the drives head light. I've read somewhere on here you have to take out the whole headlight assembly, no biggie.
2. change my rear corner blinkers from blue/white back to orange. (yes, I'm one of those who prefer orange blinkers. Call me old fashioned).
3. Adjust the parking brake, when pulled all the way up, it does not hold the car. Hopefully not a bigger issue than pulling the center console and adjusting the cable.
Front brakes feel pretty good, might need to flush/bleed soon.
4. Find a boost gauge that is back lit, (pic attached) If anyone is getting rid of one, let me know.
5. Wash, clay bar, wax, take pictures. This will happen this weekend. I'll try to post them from home.
6. Get real keys from Subaru. Of course the used car lot only had one, the grey one. Figures...

I'm all ears to quick little things to make this car more enjoyable.
Keep in mind, a mortgage, 3 car payments, insurance on 4, and a shit load of other bills. :rofl:
That sounds like a pretty solid list for initial plans.

How many miles are on the car? Depending on the mileage, a few fluid changes and maintenance items along with a compression/leakdown test would be a good idea, just so you can keep track of the car's health.

Headlight assembly should come out for the corner light bulb, if you have tiny hands you could maybe get at the bulb but it would be difficult. Mind the clips that push into the body.

The parking brake can be adjusted at the cable under the center counsel, it's not difficult to do. When the time comes to change the rear brakes, you can inspect the shoes and perhaps back off the cable and adjust the shoes some and clean/grease the hardware.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds like a pretty solid list for initial plans.

How many miles are on the car? Depending on the mileage, a few fluid changes and maintenance items along with a compression/leakdown test would be a good idea, just so you can keep track of the car's health.

Headlight assembly should come out for the corner light bulb, if you have tiny hands you could maybe get at the bulb but it would be difficult. Mind the clips that push into the body.

The parking brake can be adjusted at the cable under the center counsel, it's not difficult to do. When the time comes to change the rear brakes, you can inspect the shoes and perhaps back off the cable and adjust the shoes some and clean/grease the hardware.
Thanks, hopefully I can do most of it myself. 136,XXX on it right now, Oil was just changed, but I'm a loyal Mobil 1 user and would like to replace it with good filter was well. I don't know what filter or oil is in there. A compression/leakdown test is something I want to do soon, maybe along with that airbag issue. I'll ask for a quote. By law they do the airbag thing for free. All that other stuff I'll take to our mechanic that has saved us thousands by not using the Toyota dealer for our Tundra. (long story, lifetime drivetrain/powertrain warranty).

I've studied that area for that little light, I think it would be easier to pull the unit, I do have pretty small hands, but I think it would be easier in the long run.

I looked on here and found a pdf, I think all cars are pretty standard. Every car I've ever owned had a similar setup. Shoes on an STi? First I've heard of this...

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Do you know when the timing belt and idlers were serviced?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Thanks, hopefully I can do most of it myself. 136,XXX on it right now, Oil was just changed, but I'm a loyal Mobil 1 user and would like to replace it with good filter was well. I don't know what filter or oil is in there. A compression/leakdown test is something I want to do soon, maybe along with that airbag issue. I'll ask for a quote. By law they do the airbag thing for free. All that other stuff I'll take to our mechanic that has saved us thousands by not using the Toyota dealer for our Tundra. (long story, lifetime drivetrain/powertrain warranty).

I've studied that area for that little light, I think it would be easier to pull the unit, I do have pretty small hands, but I think it would be easier in the long run.

I looked on here and found a pdf, I think all cars are pretty standard. Every car I've ever owned had a similar setup. Shoes on an STi? First I've heard of this...
Timing belt/idler/water pump change ASAP if it hasn't been done before.

Would be a good idea to change the spark plugs and do a compression/leakdown test while you're at it. Change out the transmission fluid (this also covers the front and center differentials) and rear differential fluid, flush the brake fluid out with some new stuff, swap the PS fluid out if you're feeling extra spicy.

Mobil1 is fine as long as you avoid the Energy Conserving 5w30 - it shears way too quickly in Subaru engines.

Airbag recall will be taken care of for free. I need to take my 05 in for that when i bring it out of storage in the spring.

The parking brake is housing inside the hub of the rear brake rotors, which act as drums for the parking brake. There's shoes and springs in there like you'd find on an old drum setup.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The parking brake is housing inside the hub of the rear brake rotors, which act as drums for the parking brake. There's shoes and springs in there like you'd find on an old drum setup.
I hope I don't have to deal with this, drums are the worst. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,329 Posts
Re: Chris & Monique's 05 STi "Turbine"

Nice you got it! and an official welcome :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

So I bought new wipers on the way up to get the car. Put them on at lunch today at work. The wipesr that were on there must have been from 2005, worst I've ever seen. Turns out my "squirter" doesn't work, or at least I think. It's so loud in there I can't here it. I found this: broken windshield washer pump
Something else to do on Saturday. Looking damn busy so far.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Would be a good idea to change the spark plugs and do a compression/leakdown test while you're at it. Change out the transmission fluid (this also covers the front and center differentials) and rear differential fluid, flush the brake fluid out with some new stuff, swap the PS fluid out if you're feeling extra spicy.
Sounds like a full day, and I don't even know where half of this stuff is yet. But I'll get there. I have an 08 forester, the spark plugs in it were about as easy as a Honda. About 30 minutes and I was done. :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

What is this flying saucer thing? This picture was taken up against the firewall, right above the turbo.

Apparently I can only post 1 picture...:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I hope I don't have to deal with this, drums are the worst. LOL
Since they aren't used for slowing a moving car they shouldn't really wear down... I doubt you'll ever have to replace them unless you're driving around yanking the ebrake to do MAD DORIFTOOOs... hahaha

Good luck with the car, nice find!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts