Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new at this forum. I going to get a STI soon and can not decide which model to pick: 2017 or latest 2018.

I have seen both in live and had a test drive with 2017.

# Why 2017
- front with fog lights
- normal brakes (might be less expensive in maintenance)
- good offers for new cars

# Why 2018
- updated brakes (might be expensive in maintenance, but looks good)
- updated software, some updates in interior

actually, 2018 brings only changes on brakes and software. I exclude front, because I do not like it.

my questions are:
- is it possible to update software on 2017 to 2018?
- is it only software or are there any changes on engine and transmission?
- will be costs for brakes on 2018 much expensive when replacing?
- are parts interchangeable between 2017 and 2018 (except front and brakes)?
- if it would be possible to upgrade brakes on 2017 to 2018?

I would really like 2018 in 2017-look... so choosing now between gray and black...

It would be really helpful to me if you could also poll: 2017 or 2018, gray/black.

roman

·
Registered
572 Posts
Lot of these threads lately! See below...

# Why 2017
- front with fog lights

This. This is an important reason for me. Although you can put fog lights on the ‘18, but they are not prewired and you’d have to buy the WRX trim pieces. Also, consider the differences in the center differential if you’re in a crazy snow place.

# Why 2018
- updated brakes (might be expensive in maintenance, but looks good)
- updated software, some updates in interior

Some things also to consider on the ‘18 are the Recaros, steering turning headlights, and the bigger multifunction display on the interior. The brakes don’t make that big of a difference on the street — maybe on the track. The updated software makes zero drivable differences between the two.

my questions are:
- is it possible to update software on 2017 to 2018?

Zero real difference that matters. You could always get an aftermarket tune.

- is it only software or are there any changes on engine and transmission?

Only software due to the difference in the center diff and general updates. Again, no difference in terms of driving.

- will be costs for brakes on 2018 much expensive when replacing?

Jury is still out, but Brembo tends to use the same setups across different brands. I don’t think there would be a major difference with aftermarket pads, but someone with an ‘18 could probably answer better.

- are parts interchangeable between 2017 and 2018 (except front and brakes)?

Pretty much yes.

- if it would be possible to upgrade brakes on 2017 to 2018?

Sure, with enough money and time. It would probably make more sense to get a big brake kit. Or just keep the ‘17 brakes... really, they’re ok, just might need a different pad compound for the track.
Some helpful reading for you. Except the part with the 19s — Certain 18s still fit.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/the-highs-and-lows-of-subaru-s-2018-wrx-sti-ar176972.amp.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
# Why 2017
- front with fog lights ( you can get fogs on 18 i assure you 18 looks 10 times better real life its not plastic fantastic feel you get from photos )
- normal brakes ( this is main reason why i ever would go 17.... dont even ask how much rotors and pads cost.... ( as of now ))

# Why 2018
- updated brakes (while its most expensive its also very good upgrade if you have money)
- updated software, some updates in interior <- !

actually, 2018 brings only changes on brakes and software. I exclude front, because I do not like it.

( there are multiple changes to 2018 read up cars101.com generic but has some info on that. )

Brakes can be put on 17, and 17 bumper can be put on 18... you can mix match.

Voted for 2018 althrough i would go other color.

:naughty: you want them.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
id go with a late model 2017, it comes with the integrated roof racks on the 2018.. which quite frankly is the only reason to get a 2018.

·
Registered
300 Posts
id go with a late model 2017, it comes with the integrated roof racks on the 2018.. which quite frankly is the only reason to get a 2018.
I disagree - I think that by far the biggest selling point is the brakes. Of course, I do run my car on the track. I also think it's nice that they changed the DRLs to be the c-lights and the high beams are now full LED, so you don't get the different color temperatures in front depending on which lights you have on (since everything is full LED now).

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I disagree - I think that by far the biggest selling point is the brakes. Of course, I do run my car on the track. I also think it's nice that they changed the DRLs to be the c-lights and the high beams are now full LED, so you don't get the different color temperatures in front depending on which lights you have on (since everything is full LED now).
i see the brakes as hardly an upgrade at all.. but i digress, i am all stock and all commute.. though should i find myself on the track, i am sure a stoptech swap is an easy todo. ;)

i much prefer OEM fog lights to OEM 6-pots.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Then 17 IMO. I love my 17. Only thing I like about the 18 is the interior refresh.

Both are great and there is no wrong pick at the end of the day. Welcome too!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've never seen an '18 in person, but I definitely like the looks of the '17 quite a bit more. I bought a '17 knowing that the '18 was coming very soon, and I don't regret it at all.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I've never seen an '18 in person, but I definitely like the looks of the '17 quite a bit more. I bought a '17 knowing that the '18 was coming very soon, and I don't regret it at all.
if an 18' was an option for you, you likely have the coveted 17 with integrated roof racks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
if an 18' was an option for you, you likely have the coveted 17 with integrated roof racks!
Most likely so, I'd have to check. I bought fairly early in 2017, but the 18's were available within a couple months. I'd have to check my build date.

As far as everything else on the car, the only thing the '18 offers that I'd like is the brakes, and thats a big maybe. Certainly wasn't worth waiting for. I suppose some of the interior things would be nice, but the '17 is already an upgrade from my previous car. I'm extremely happy to own the "last of an era" of highly mechanical, "old school" cars. I'm sure the new center diff is just fine, but I like the old mechanical setup that doesn't necessarily rely on electronic wizardry to work well. I'm sure the true next-gen STi ('20 or '21?) will be a complete revolution with hybrid power and a lot of modern amenities. I think the VA truly marks the end of an era and I'm happy to own one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
IMO the are only a couple reasons to get a '17

1 - Save money, it's an older car or holdover, it will be cheaper.

2 - Certain things were 'decontented' on the 18. The foglights (though I'd prefer the steerable LED tbh), lane blind spot warnings, and rear cross traffic were on the base 17 car and have been removed from the 18.

3 - If you want the NAV/upgraded radio it's not available on the 18 without the Limited package, it was on the 17 (personally I didn't want the moonroof and leather)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got the 2018 limited and love it. I agree with the issue of no fog lights but I?m ordering the Prolightz kit which is awesome n plug and play for this car. Good luck deciding.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Only reason to get the '17 is to save money. '18 is better. I'd want to see at least ~$3k discount on the '17 vs the '18 to consider it.

And, silver is the best color. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did anyone else notice that the Base and Limited STi have gained 55 lb and 84 lb respectively?

2017 Base - 3391 lb
2017 Limited - 3441 lb

2018 Base - 3446 lb
2018 Limited - 3525 lb

Maybe this is why most car reviewer tests are reporting the 2018s to be slower than previous models. I understand the Limited got some extra driver assists, but for the Base, is it just the sound deadening material?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I could easily see 30lb or so of that being the larger front brakes and the 19" wheels. I haven't weighed the brakes, but the wheels weigh a ton (I've swapped over to 18s).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had a '15 base STI, now have an '18 Limited STI. The '18, with the refreshed interior, feels less like a $16,000 economy car (now closer to a $22,000 economy car). In general, it just feels better put together, and the new electronically controlled center diff is noticeably smoother when transitioning on snowy surfaces.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts