IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting STI this month. Any of you guys experience detonation problems? What is your take on the whole situation? Would you still buy the car if you knew about the problem? Any regrets. Thanks.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
My STi was built 03/03, I broke it in like recommended. I currently just rolled over 7k miles and have had no detonation problems or any wierd noises. Yes I would still buy the car, just make sure it is taken care of or the dealer is aware of the possible problem.

BTW, I was at my dealer last night for a new owner car care clinic and they have a white/gold STi that an older gentleman just traded in because it was too much, he did not like shifting or something and the stiff ride. :roll: Anyway, it only has about 180 miles on it. They of course are asking MSRP but said they have 3 more STi coming in soon that are not pre-sold, so they might be willing to deal on this one if you are interested. They also said all the STi's that they got up until this point have been presold.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MKIVSupra. It's good to hear someone doesn't have the problem.
What brand of gas do you use and I understand you use only 93 octane.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yeah the best I can find is 93. Other than 100 which is overkill and unless you run it all the time it would probably run worse than just sticking with 93 all the time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
MKIVSupra,

which gas stations do you use? I have heard that if you use BP, the STi doesn't like it as much, so I'm curious.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I live in South Elgin and I have had no problems with either the Mobil 93 or the Shell 93. I used them both in my motorcycle, which seems to be very sensitive to octane due to the fuel injection recalibration, and it also has no problems. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I use either Mobil or BP, depends on what one is cheaper. Yesterday I drove by the Mobil station I usually go to and it was $2.01 for premium, right down the road BP had premium for $1.96, so I got it there. This is by work, if I need gas on a weekend the Mobil down the road from me in Lombard is usually the cheapest in the area. I wish I knew of someone that sold 94 octane.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts