IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8 of my LEDS are out in my third brake light in the spoiler. :evil: Only reason I noticed is because a friend of mine was following me one night. THis is BS man, car barely has 3000 miles on it. Anyone else? I am taking it to the dealer. I think the wing has to be removed to be able to swap that light assembly. ARRRGGHHH.

·
Registered
60 Posts
just checked mine...and all is fine :D .

i've had my STi since the end of may '03, just roughly over 10,700 miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dropping it off on monday evening at the dealer, should know something late tuesday. Man why me, I cant think of why they would go out. Must be defective assembly im guessing.

·
Registered
586 Posts
LEDS don't just go out, automotive LEDs are rated for 100,000+ hours. It has to be a wiring/assembly failure. Or :eek: defective LEDs...

·
Registered
16 Posts
sounds like a resistor or diode used to control the voltage going to the LED's blew...giving the LED's a straight 12-14v's will cook them quick...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I dropped it off at the dealer today. Will know something hopefully tommorrow. Weird thing is that today I was driving from work and I had a friend of mine look at the LED lights and he only said that 1 was out!! :eek: So when I got to the dealer and the guy looked at it he said that there were about 5 out. So it appears that they are going in and out. Some good observations you guys have about the LEDS, given what Ive seen I dont think they are cooked because they are in and out. I'm leaning towards M's theory with a wiring/assembly failure. I dunno. Also I looked at a fiends wrx spoiler and his LEds were bright as hell and last time I looked at mine they were faint. So it appears to mabye be a voltage issue. I have not done anything to the wiring but install a head unit and a pair of seperates up front which should have absolutely nothing to do with the leds right? Could it be a fuse? Im just curious, I work so much that I just dont have the time to Ts this thing, plus its under warranty. Just makes me say "why me" ya know. At least it is nothing major. Will let you all know the outcome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
well, LED's won't go on and off if they are blown...if one is blown and there are 5 on a circuit then it can bring the voltage of all of them down to a invisible brightness but i say that i am leaning toward a loose wire or circuit board..I rebuilt my entire taillight and turn signal assemblies using LED's and ran into a few problems, but nothing like yours. The intermittent way they are acting just says "loose connection" somewhere...get the dealer to replace the entire LED array(which i'd expect they would do) as it is still under warranty

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah Im guessing that they will replace the entire assembly of the LEd brake light. Something I noticed is that its made by Koito which makes very good lighting products in japan. I guess I just got one of the very few ones that happened to go bad. I'm going to call the dealer today at about 3:30 to see what the verdict is. I dont like being away from my car, Furthermore I dont like anyone touching it, even the dealer. :eek: Im just overprotective.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my Baby back yesterday afternoon, the dealer replaced the whole LED assembly. FYI it is a 310.00 dollar part! :eek: Checked it while I was at the dealer and everything is fine. Never did find out what was wrong with the defective assembly. Overall I was impressed with the service from the dealer, they always called me to tell me a status and were pleasant to deal with. So I'm all fixed up now.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My guess is bad soldier joints for the LED's in the PC board. The Light Emitting Diodes wiggled and made and broke electrical contact. I hope this was a fluke. With the volume of the STi if it is a supplier manufacturing method problem a LOT of us could be affected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts