IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STi vs cobra... stock vs stock... on the willows (ca) track...

guess who comes out on top... ;)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Leo, what issue is it....I know you said the latest...I gotta go get this....I'm also a die hard Mustang fan...especially of the '03 Cobra. I wouldn't trade my new STi in for anything, but it WAS a difficult decision.....So needless to say, I have to see this mag....give us a few details..Thanks...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think the new Hot Rod issue just came out today or Monday. It is in that issue. But, let's face it, guys, it not exactly news to us! 8)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
definitive A/F signal ECU pin

I found this after a quick google groups search:

http://avs.epix.net/svt_sti.zip

2.46mb and the download is a bit slow, but someone scanned all 5 pages of the article and zipped 'em. Go STi! :eek:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I like the comparison between a RWD V-8 muscle car and a rally-bred AWD turboed car. :lol: because it is something different. Personally, I was getting tiresome to see all the Evo vs. STi articles all time and it is nice to see it compete against other cars outside of the AWD arena. It shows how well our car stacks up against other competitors which are just as fast but with different drivetrains.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Re: '04 STi's with different size brakes???

4MLA1FN said:
i wonder why they didn't compare the evo and the cobra.
Probably because the STi has muscle car numbers 300HP/300 Ib-ft as does the Cobra 390HP/390 Ib-ft and the STi gives the Cobra a better race in the 1/4 mile than an Evo would.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
so i guess at least one magazine saw though the noise of contradicting performance figures reported by all the magazines. good deal.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
TRM said:
i never understand why car mags compare apples to oranges?

a 4-door sedan against a 2-door sport coupe. :roll:
I think the reason for the comparo is best summarized in the penultimate line of the article: "No two cars put the old-school/new school debate in sharper focus than the Cobra and the STi."

Good article, I was just wondering where you can get the Stage 1 kit for the STi since I don't see it listed on the website.

EDIT: I found the NASIOC link off of the Vishnu thread in Powertrain :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I also enjoyed it...

Did anyone else think the article focused on the STi a lot more than the SVT? I guess becuase the "Hot Rod crowd" probably already knows plenty about the Ford, but I thought it was pretty cool. Still can't understand why they were split 50/50 on the decision, though. The numbers speak for themselves. :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
C'mon ya'll....the numbers from the Hot Rod magazine have always been against Ford..Hot Rod, Motor Trend, etc...love the Chevy's. They speak highly of the Ford mostly because this time in the comparison there is no Chevy, it's only "American vs. Jap" car. A 13.3 sec/qtr from a stock '03 Cobra is a dismally slow time. In many reviews, the Cobra is actually underrated in hp figures (Ford is still scared after the '99/'00 Cobra overrated hp figures, so underrates the hp fig's of their new cars)....Most dynos have shown the Cobra to actually producing somewhere close to 410 hp, getting almost the full "listed" 390 hp TO THE GROUND!!!! Although the Cobra is a porker in terms of grossly overweight for even a Mustang (at almost showroom, full tank of gas 3,700 lbs), 390 hp on the ground will net significantly better than 13.3. I think the best time noted on a completely stock '04 STi is like 12.8-12.9, which is not unheard of, but certainly not common. That's with very cool outside temps, recently iced intake, non warmed up car. It's not unheard of for a stock Cobra to drive 30+ miles to get to a qtr mile track, pay his entry, drive straight up to the lights, smash the throttle with the traction assist "on" through first and click off a 12.7-12.8 qtr. Just ride in one ya'll. They are an amazing car. Give credit where it is due..the Cobra, in a straight line only and with traction, will destroy an STi..and it sucks to say it because that was the only other car I even considered when purchasing my STi. But, I love my STi...feel it's superior in every other way, especially safety and manueverability, PLUS, I can drag race in the rain..hahaha

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
there is something special about having 390 horsepower and 390 lb.ft. of torque under your foot. i love V8 musclecars. i looked at the last year Camaros before i stumbled upon the STi. i always wanted AWD. did anyone notice that HOT ROD gives 91 octane as the choice fuel for the STI? considering all the problems that have been linked to crappy CA 91 octane i find that the only misleading part of the article.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The other slightly misleading part was that they didn't note the STi's top speed of 145 was electronically limited, as they did on the Cobra's stat page. But maybe that's nit-picking...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
C'mon ya'll....the numbers from the Hot Rod magazine have always been against Ford..Hot Rod, Motor Trend, etc...love the Chevy's. They speak highly of the Ford mostly because this time in the comparison there is no Chevy, it's only "American vs. Jap" car. A 13.3 sec/qtr from a stock '03 Cobra is a dismally slow time. In many reviews, the Cobra is actually underrated in hp figures (Ford is still scared after the '99/'00 Cobra overrated hp figures, so underrates the hp fig's of their new cars)....Most dynos have shown the Cobra to actually producing somewhere close to 410 hp, getting almost the full "listed" 390 hp TO THE GROUND!!!! Although the Cobra is a porker in terms of grossly overweight for even a Mustang (at almost showroom, full tank of gas 3,700 lbs), 390 hp on the ground will net significantly better than 13.3. I think the best time noted on a completely stock '04 STi is like 12.8-12.9, which is not unheard of, but certainly not common. That's with very cool outside temps, recently iced intake, non warmed up car. It's not unheard of for a stock Cobra to drive 30+ miles to get to a qtr mile track, pay his entry, drive straight up to the lights, smash the throttle with the traction assist "on" through first and click off a 12.7-12.8 qtr. Just ride in one ya'll. They are an amazing car. Give credit where it is due..the Cobra, in a straight line only and with traction, will destroy an STi..and it sucks to say it because that was the only other car I even considered when purchasing my STi. But, I love my STi...feel it's superior in every other way, especially safety and manueverability, PLUS, I can drag race in the rain..hahaha
i'm glad you went on to say you love your STI. you had me worried. look closely at the numbers that HOT ROD gives and you'll see why the STi came out on top in the quarter mile. the STi rips off a 1.8 second 60 foot time!!! while the Mustang manages a dismal 2.2 second time. thats almost a half second!!! its also clear that the Mustang pulls really hard after the tires hook. where it goes 110 mph through the traps. the STi only hits 100. if the race was a little longer the Mustang would've one, but a quarter mile is all we have. this race was all about traction. the STi has more because of AWD. they should've run the cars with slicks to see what differance it would've made. then i think the Mustang guys would be happier. look how cranky the STi can get when someone tells them the EVO is the better car. same deal. i think they did thier best to make it stock vs. stock. and in stock form the STi wins. it should be mention that the numbers were corrected for altitude. so neither car actually ran as fast as they printed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts