IW STi Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The previous owner had the rear brakes done a few months before I got the car. My rear rotors are a bit grooved / have a medium amount of waveyness to them. So obviously they ran the rotors as is without turning them. Looking at the front its nice to see the rotors aren't grooved badly, but I felt them with my finger and there is still a wavey surface finish. It definitely wouldn't hurt to have them turned or replaced. Do you guys ever choose to run rotors as is when they are not smooth to the touch?

I see the DBA 4000 series Club Spec rotors are available in 2 different flavours depending on if you want slotted or drilled/slotted. Are these considered to be an improvement over OEM? The description on subiedepot.ca states "mid series enhanced performance rotor". It says they fit 2015-2017, are rotors different after 2017?
Yes the DBA T3 rotors are considered and improvement over oem. Atleast they are for my car and should be up until 2018 when they changed the brakes to the larger 6 piston calipers. I believe the oem rotors on the 2018 are already drilled. I think if you are going to spend the money on good pads like project mu then i would recommend just getting new rotors too. The DBA T3 4000 is what i run now and will be doing so again.

·
Premium Member
5,930 Posts
What is it you don't like about em?
The only time i ever drove the car hard I got a squishy pedal.
I should have worded that differently I suppose.. I should probably flush the fluid and track the car then make that type of assertion. What I really should say is "I want the car to decelerate faster for less pedal input"
It wasn't like I was locking the tires up or anything, and I want them to bite harder. I was mostly unimpressed at how fast they faded just from back roads.
I had that problem on my 2012 STI, I fixed it for 70 bucks. Change the front brake lines to braided brake lines. The last foot of brake lines needs to move and flex, so the lines are rubber and the warmer rubber gets the softer it gets and stretches, giving you that soft pedal feel. If your replace the basic rubber ones with ones encased in a metal braid, you eliminate that flex because of heat. These are the ones I bought: StopTech® - Stainless Steel Brake Lines (carid.com) It is even cheaper for 2015-2020 StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front) - 2015-2020 Subaru WRX & STI|Subispeed
Two things:

2) First. Upgrading your brake lines to stainless lines will make a bigger change in pedal feel than the pads.

1) Unlike everyone else, I never felt Project Mus had lots of bite! My stock GD brakes had unbelievable bite, but that made em touchy and to easy to lock up. Not long after I acquired that car, I was going down the Tacony Palmyra bridge and had the car in front stop short. I nailed my brakes and literally hung in the air in my seat belt. Never had that happen to me in a car like that before. Later I upgraded to DBA500/4000 stainless lines and Project Mu BForces. I never though they had more bite, but they had phenomenal pedal feel and no travel. But, I had to press hard the stop hard. I give em top rating. IMHO performance cars should not have touchy brakes like so many modern cars . . .

Project Mu BForces dust less that other high performance street pads too - but they still produce a lot of dust. I drove that setup for 100Kmi! before replacing em.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Subaru dealer (drilled) = $2050/pair
DBA T3 4000 (slotted) = $1250/pair
GiroDisc 2pc (slotted) = $1200/pair
Hawk Performance HTC4914 (slotted & drilled) = $360/pair
oh and don't forget my ex-wife aka rockauto offering it up for $140 like some cheap who...knows what. [Dynamic Friction (drilled) /pair]

Hawk claims they meet OE spec and that these are high performance. Is it true? If they perform approximately as good as the OEM brembos I'd buy these in a heartbeat... even if they are 90% of OEM brembos performance I would go for it because that's great bang for your buck.

What about the rockauto ones? They also claim OEM spec; what are the chances that they are as good as OEM brembos?

*prices in CAD aka monopoly money

edit:

Link for the hawks. It's weird that it says they fit 2015-2017 and 2018 STIs.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI Limited MGM
30 Posts
oh and don't forget my ex-wife aka rockauto offering it up for $140 like some cheap who...knows what. [Dynamic Friction (drilled) /pair]

Hawk claims they meet OE spec and that these are high performance. Is it true? If they perform approximately as good as the OEM brembos I'd buy these in a heartbeat... even if they are 90% of OEM brembos performance I would go for it because that's great bang for your buck.

What about the rockauto ones? They also claim OEM spec; what are the chances that they are as good as OEM brembos?

edit:

My go to for rotors is, and has been FOR YEARS, Adam's Rotors. They let you select metallurgy, an INSANE pattern selection (dot, slot, dimple, hex, hatch, etc), finish (Zinc, etc), and hub color for under $600 for front and rear. (~$350 for front only)

2018+ SUBARU STI (adamsrotors.com)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

edit:

Well incase you are still on the fence about pads and rotors, i just replaced all my brakes today. DBA T3 4000/Project Mu B-spec (b-force). Here are a couple of shots i took incase you are still concerned with the color. Personally, i think the blue is pretty hott. I can see how it may look a little weird on a newer sti with the bright colored calipers. But then again, like i said, you'd have to be pretty close to notice.

Please excuse my drity winter wheel set up. I will be switching to my summer wheels in another week or two.

tempImaget1FmsB.jpg
tempImagexqTG3T.jpg
tempImageFEcz5X.jpg
tempImageYmHMwU.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm having a rough time finding brake parts for the 2018+ STI.

I contacted hawk who confirmed they don't have rotors for this car, even though many retailers websites list hawk rotors for 2018 STI.

I ordered some project mu B force pads but then started noticing that retailers are listing the same pad for 2017 and 2018 STI's. I contacted the company I placed my order with to clarify and they quickly sent me a refund...

I made up my mind on those damn project mu pads and now I can't find them. Are they available for the 2018+ or am I chasing a unicorn?

Raakaar, I am keeping Adams rotors in mind. Crazy amount of choices between material and machining options.

Jay11sti and crusader89 : I enjoyed the pics.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI Limited MGM
30 Posts

I contacted hawk who confirmed they don't have rotors for this car, even though many retailers websites list hawk rotors for 2018 STI.

I ordered some project mu B force pads but then started noticing that retailers are listing the same pad for 2017 and 2018 STI's. I contacted the company I placed my order with to clarify and they quickly sent me a refund...

I made up my mind on those damn project mu pads and now I can't find them. Are they available for the 2018+ or am I chasing a unicorn?

Raakaar, I am keeping Adams rotors in mind. Crazy amount of choices between material and machining options.

For US applications Project MU doesn't seem to make any B-Spec pads for the STI past 2010 for US applications according to their website... http://www.project-mu.co.jp/matching/usa/SUBARU_application.pdf

SubieSpeed has the Type NS listed for 2015+ but no B Spec: Project Mu D929 TYPE NS Brake Pads

But I was able to find some places I've never heard of that claim to have B-spec pads:

If the manufacturer doesn't list them, I recommend caution. Personally, I would be careful and just look for a different pad.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Not sure if the pads are the same for the VA but the dimensions look right.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts