IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are brake pads available for 2015+ STI's for $5CAD on rockauto. They are semi-metallic. I assume that the pad material on my (2ndhand) car right now is also semi-metallic as they are dusty and noisy. Who cares if the $5 pads wear out faster? Why pay over $100 for pads that might last longer when I can get these pads nearly for free? Random manufacturing defects aside, do you think these people could sell brake pads that that will fail?

·
Registered
2006 Subaru STi
303 Posts
Depends on what purpose you're driving your car for, first and foremost. If any sport driving at all, repeated hard braking, i'd say why risk it?

Also, just because something is cheap, doesn't mean it's worth your money.

For me, when it comes to a safety device (brakes, anything to do w/ fuel, tires, seats/seatbelts), i'm not into saving a buck at the cost of safety. YMMV. Your car, ultimately, do what you want tho...

·
Registered
287 Posts
^that. 100% that.
They may be cheap but brakes are a safety item. If you drive and never really get on it or never do ANY performance they may work. But why take the risk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on what purpose you're driving your car for, first and foremost. If any sport driving at all, repeated hard braking, i'd say why risk it?

Also, just because something is cheap, doesn't mean it's worth your money.

For me, when it comes to a safety device (brakes, anything to do w/ fuel, tires, seats/seatbelts), i'm not into saving a buck at the cost of safety. YMMV. Your car, ultimately, do what you want tho...
So where does one draw the line? Buy the $15 pads? $20? $50? $100+? I wish there was a way to tell at what price point the parts become questionable or sub-par; (that is, if they even become sub-par at some point). I believe that the consumer often overpays for things that are the same product wrapped in a different package.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru STi
303 Posts
So where does one draw the line? Buy the $15 pads? $20? $50? $100+? I wish there was a way to tell at what price point the parts become questionable or sub-par; (that is, if they even become sub-par at some point). I believe that the consumer often overpays for things that are the same product wrapped in a different package.
Once you decide what your limit is, then make decisions off of that. If price is the only thing that matters, go right ahead.

Personally, i'll shop with vendors and brands that I know and trust, and if it's someone you're not familiar with, try and do some research. If the only thing a brand has that attracts you is price...well, just realize it was built to a price point. Again, depending on your use, it might be appropriate.

Personally, i've done the $80 Stoptech pads and the $300 Carbotech pads. Yes, they were different, acted different, dusted different, sounded different, and they for sure as hell STOPPED/BRAKED differently. But in either case, i had no qualms about my safety.

I mean for $5, you've literally paid for shipping/packaging only, they're giving it away. Maybe it's a decent product, but i'm not gonna bank my 3400lb car and my life on it (my own priorities).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ideally I would find something trustworthy that has a good bang for your buck ratio. Any suggestions there? Leaning towards semi-metallic because they should have more stopping power than ceramic, or so I'm told.

There are sooo many options. Rock auto has wagner, bosch, power stop, bendix, dynamic friction, centric...

·
Registered
61 Posts
You’re paying a premium to roll around in an STI, neutering the brakes just doesn’t make sense. If I put 5 dollar brake pads on a car I REALLY can’t imagine pushing or enjoying it, or following anything within several bus lengths.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You’re paying a premium to roll around in an STI, neutering the brakes just doesn’t make sense. If I put 5 dollar brake pads on a car I REALLY can’t imagine pushing or enjoying it, or following anything within several bus lengths.
My rational is that brake pad friction material probably has the largest effect on the pads coefficient of friction, so shouldn't two pads that are both semi-metallic offer you the same stopping power? There are semi-metallic wagner brake pads for $45. I wonder if the wagner's would be less susceptible to brake fade compared to the $5 API brake pads? Then again there are carbon fibre-ceramic pads also for $45. Did they make them out of carbon fibre because they know car enthusiast drool over anything carbon fibre, or because carbon fibre excels in this application? Is it a red flag that the company selling the carbon fibre pads is called "power stop" lol?

The last thing I would want to do is neuter the brakes. I also don't want to be the fool who will buy something because it's more expensive but not actually get anything better.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
On my 2019 STI, I am running GLOC GS1 Brake pads Front & Rear. I ordered through KNS brakes & paid $356. This was back in January..

·
Registered
2006 Subaru STi
303 Posts
On my 2019 STI, I am running GLOC GS1 Brake pads Front & Rear. I ordered through KNS brakes & paid $356. This was back in January..
+1 to this for a good source for brakes, and i "think" he ships to Canada as well. If nothing else, check out his website for some suggestions on brake pads/manufacturer/different available compounds.

Also, there are a ton of "recipes" for brake pad materials (the "brake pad friction material" as you stated"), so don't just go by type of material. Think honestly about what your use case is, and then look at the different brake options for those categories.

·
Registered
528 Posts
the carbon fiber pads/rotors actually have a really good heat tolerance, longevity and stopping capability, not just the drool power of a good weave in there like one might think lol

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI Limited MGM
30 Posts
There are brake pads available for 2015+ STI's for $5CAD on rockauto. They are semi-metallic. I assume that the pad material on my (2ndhand) car right now is also semi-metallic as they are dusty and noisy. Who cares if the $5 pads wear out faster? Why pay over $100 for pads that might last longer when I can get these pads nearly for free? Random manufacturing defects aside, do you think these people could sell brake pads that that will fail?
Quality matters! do not risk your life or anyone else's to save a few bucks. Watch this video to understand why: What Are The Best Brake Pads? Cheap vs Expensive Tested! - Engineering Explained

·
Registered
251 Posts
Since safety has already been hit on, gonna let it lie.

pad material is designed temperatures in mind- operating ranges. So if you drive your car for ANYTHING other than city/commuting/speed limit following.. go for it. Why do you have an STI for that though?
so with that in mind, I want to know what you think happens when you have a cheap pad at double it’s designed operating temp.
From an engineers perspective, I can promise you the factor of safety on something like that isn’t too high either.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Dont cheap out on brakes. This isnt the car for that. I dont think you should ever want to downgrade from what the car came with. Especially something as important as brakes. You may not be hitting the brakes hard often BUT that one time (oh shyte moment) when you do, you will be glad you didnt get the cheap stuff that let you down. There are plenty of options for brakes. Check out KNS brakes, they are a popular vendor on here. They have all kinds of options and combos available. There are also plenty of other places to shop around for brakes for our cars. Nothing against Rockauto, just not really a performance aftermarket spot.

My recommendation when it comes to pads, Project Mu B-force. Low dust, amazing bite hot and cold, quiet, long lasting. They are just a bit pricey but so well worth it. So worth it in my opinion that i will be going with these again in a couple of weeks.

$5 brake pads 🤦‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
8,096 Posts
I think I paid $40 for a dead pedal on my STI...no chance i'm spending less than that for a major car component like brake pads.

Find a brake pad vendor, input your car, see what they recommend and gauge from there what people like and don't like. I was a big fan of Stoptech pads.

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
the carbon fiber pads/rotors actually have a really good heat tolerance, longevity and stopping capability, not just the drool power of a good weave in there like one might think lol

An ME associates who had actually designed aircraft brakes told me CF pad have to get race hot to actually bite and that when OEM cars use them they must be vastly oversized to compensate for street use. You cant do that and keep the same rotors and calipers. On the track they'd work well once warm.

I generally pay for premium pay pads. Haven't used that many even with a couple hundred K street mi in STIs. I liked Projectu BForces the best, and Hawk HP+ the least - and they were the least expensive.

Reactions: 2018sti

·
Registered
251 Posts
So where does the enthusiast land? I can promise 400+ dollar brake pads are NOT in my future. It seems the general recommendation are outlandishly expensive. There's got to be a good middle ground to stand on here.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
So where does the enthusiast land? I can promise 400+ dollar brake pads are NOT in my future. It seems the general recommendation are outlandishly expensive. There's got to be a good middle ground to stand on here.
Well most pads arent going to be 400+ unless you are including both front and rear. Even then im not sure if it would be $400+ unless you are looking for something super expensive.

Stoptech is a cheaper pad and a slight improvement over oem. I had stoptechs once for a couple of thousand miles. I thought they were ok, definitely less dust than oem and felt kind of the same bite so to speak. That was also on my 2011 sti and not on a newer VA chassis car.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well most pads arent going to be 400+ unless you are including both front and rear. Even then im not sure if it would be $400+ unless you are looking for something super expensive.

Stoptech is a cheaper pad and a slight improvement over oem. I had stoptechs once for a couple of thousand miles. I thought they were ok, definitely less dust than oem and felt kind of the same bite so to speak. That was also on my 2011 sti and not on a newer VA chassis car.
well that sucks for me because i think the oem brakes leave a little to be desired lol..
It seems the next step up from the mid grade brakes are roughly $180/set, then double it for front/rear.
Any other recommendations besides get a better job?🤣

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Dont cheap out on brakes. This isnt the car for that. I dont think you should ever want to downgrade from what the car came with. Especially something as important as brakes. You may not be hitting the brakes hard often BUT that one time (oh shyte moment) when you do, you will be glad you didnt get the cheap stuff that let you down. There are plenty of options for brakes. Check out KNS brakes, they are a popular vendor on here. They have all kinds of options and combos available. There are also plenty of other places to shop around for brakes for our cars. Nothing against Rockauto, just not really a performance aftermarket spot.

My recommendation when it comes to pads, Project Mu B-force. Low dust, amazing bite hot and cold, quiet, long lasting. They are just a bit pricey but so well worth it. So worth it in my opinion that i will be going with these again in a couple of weeks.

$5 brake pads 🤦‍♂️
I agree on KNS Brakes & they are very helpful and knowledgeable. I ordered my GLOC GS1 pads from them several months back.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts