IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on rotating and switching between summer/winter wheels myself. Is it fine to just jack up the car and do wheel changes yourself or are the wheels aligned or something every time they are rotated/switched at a mechanic shop?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
You're fine. Just like you said: jack it up, take one off, put the other on and let it down. You're done and saved yourself the money you'd pay to have a wheel shop do it.

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
nope, you can do it yourself no problem. i would highly recommend you getting a torque wrench so you can properly torque the wheels down.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Yes, like others have said a torque wrench is essential to a proper install. Get the torque wrench with the break off feature, its quite nice

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
or just get a breaker bar.

Alot of us down here change our own tires every couple weekends for the autox's

if you plan on doing this alot an impact gun or an adapter for a cordless drill makes the job 100x easier :D

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
no, never change your tires yourself. you might save money and feel gratifaction for doing something yourself. ***warning*** changing rims is a gateway mod to doing other things yourself

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use my car every weekend on a track and I change from the street tires to my sport cup tires. I have the stock lug nuts and every time I go to put the stock tires back on one or more of the stock lugs nuts comes off really sloppy and if I put it back on it's cross threaded and won't come off. If you make it come off it breaks the stud, I've already had 2 studs replaced. I change these every weekend I can't have them keep getting stripped. I use a torque wrench and it's set to 75 lbs.. Could it be that the lugs and wheels are so hot that I should wait till they cool down or do I need to get rid of the stock lug nuts? Any ideas please, I'm going to the track again this Friday. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Again, make sure you torque to 65 ftlb. I made a mistake because all of my other cars torqued to a 100, it killed inside brake pad and hurt my rotors.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
its between 62-80 something for a subaru. IIRC

·
Registered
667 Posts
Wheel lugnut torque is 65.7 ft/lbs.

Right out of the 2005 Impreza service manual...probably listed in the owners manual as well.

·
resigned
5,609 Posts
kevinjballard said:
Where did you get the 65lbs from? The guy at discount tire looked it up and said it was 75lbs. And what is gauling?
sorry i spelled it wrong, its actually galling. Galling by definition is abrasion/chafing. Threads are typically defined as galled if the tip of the thread becomes rounded or rolled over. This can cause rapid excessive wear and/or completely strip threads. Galled threads on a 3/4" b16 stud is a real *****...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts