IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried or know how to change the stock gauges to blue? Looking to match the color if possible. I know there has to be a way because the normal wrx is green. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey Navy. I know some folks have changed the HVAC and key ring lighting (see "HVAC mod") but haven't heard too much about folks changing the color of the actual STi cluster. I believe I read somewhere that someone had disconnected it and it's lit by nine LED's, and seemed to be quite a project. Go do a search at www.NASIOC.com under the lighting section.....think that may be where I saw it. Good luck senor.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
YIKES.. messing with gauges = automatic nightmare...

Robert~

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled it apart, and put it back together. They are not bulbs, all I saw were little squares. I have no clue.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
n00b question: checking diff level

little squares = led's

If you can find out the voltage they're rated for, you can get blue led's from radio shack or somewhere like that, and solder them in place instead of the red ones.

People do this for cell phones all the time... it requires a bit of skill though.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Also... how did you do the blue for the leds on the HVAC? I bought a bunch of blue led condoms and they ended up looking like aqua marine. :(

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
will work on a standard wrx gauge... as the gauges just light up... wil not work with LEDS... The red would definitely show through... and whatever you do... DONT POP THE NEEDLES off ;) <<had a nightmarish experience with this>>

Robert~

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you get the gauges off? I didn't want to pull the needles off, so I just put it back together. I could put the new blue led on, but I don't know quite how to pull it completely apart.

·
Registered
316 Posts
According to the service manual, the STI cluster is a non-serivicable item. That means if the LEDs crap out, you replace the whole thing. Unless you are good with soldering circuit boards, I wouldn't mess with it unless you had an extra one. There's also 5 brightness settings, I don't know if they have "variable" LED's or more LEDs light up at the dimmer is brightened. If anyone accomplishes the modification, I'd like to see how they do it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: grind in 2nd gear.

Most likely the brightness settings are just a change in the current being supplied to the LED's. I've seen the whole cluster available for around $500 so it wouldn't be as expensive as messing up your headlight during the popular easy-bake mod.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Look something like this????

I did the LED replacement on my Celica. If it is in fact the same type of deal, using surface mount LEDs, it can be done. The hardest part will be figuring out the proper brightness of LED to use. We'd need to find out what we have for stock brightness in red and then find an equivalent in blue. Since you are changing colors, the factors aren't the same (similar to changing colors and brightness output on HIDs).

Personally, I have no interest in doing this modification to the STi. If people are truly looking to do this though, I'd be willing to help.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yup I've done this mod on my celica too.. its not that hard once you get the hang of it.. i can help someone in the so cal area do this mod if you're interested.. i don't wanna do it to my own cluster because I like the stock red color.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
hmmm ya guys if you find out anymore CloneGTs... let us know!!

Robert~

1 - 18 of 18 Posts