IW STi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, does anyone know what kind of programming needs to be done to switch the digital in-dash temp reading from Fahrenheit to Celsius? Same for miles --> Km's.
It's not a big deal at all, it's just that being a Canadian importing a US STI, it'd be nice to get readouts in metric.

Would it require a new gauge cluster? Or ECU programming. On my Audi, I just had to adjust my ECU settings via a CAN enabled OBDII diagnostic tool. Took 2 secs... this may be more difficult.

Anyone with the know-how... post up.

Thanks. :tup:

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
get a canadian gauge cluster?

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
coool.....

·
resigned
5,609 Posts
DONT GO TO SUBARU! THEY DONT WANT PEOPLE TAKING THEM ACROSS BORDERS! Find a speedo shop that is near you, there is likely a way to reprogram the electronic portions. To get your mph/kph swapped you may need a complete new cluster though. I dont know the area where you are, but around here (border town) there are ~4 speedo shops within a 2 hour drive...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^ Lackskill, it's not a big deal. Actually, the people here are pretty cool about it... I think it really depends on who you talk to and who you know. I agree though, there's been a lot of horror stories from Canadians with USDM STI's having all sorts of issues with warranty work.

For the speedo, the USDM STI comes with both KPH and MPH. The HVAC knob I can order separately. Not worried about that. It's mainly changing my digital readouts from miles to kms and my *F to *C. I'll research more and post what I find.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Getting canadian gauge cluster would be the easiest. Well, JDM cluster will work as well ;)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
o that sucks, well i guess its time to brush up on the good old american units; even i think the metric system is better =/, or you will pay a relativly big chunk of money

·
Registered
6 Posts
I brought a Canadian STi down to Texas when I moved and I traded the car in at a dealership to buy the black 06 STi I have now. They took the trade and all was good except they didn't do their homework and just sold the car, untitled, to a guy in a town close to Houston. What they didn't know was the car needed to be "imported" and inspected and all sorts of paperwork needed to be done and NONE of that was done when I drove it across the border. They also changed the instrument cluster, at a cost of about $600 to them along with the cost of inspections and DOT certification etc... But there is no way to change the readout from Km's to miles and vice versa on the odometer. At least that is what the dealership told me. Maybe they got tired of spending money on that car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a US Ltd and the local dealer said the only way to convert is to buy the Canadian gauge cluster. This cost $768.95cad installed. I think that is a lot of money. Other alternatives are getting a Scangauge, which has an interesting gauge, scan and trip computer for $166 and plugs into the OBD2 slot. I mounted this on my steering column. The gauge is easily switchable from US to metric for all units.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't believe how many people don't know this. It is as simple as pushing your milage reset button three times in succession. Proplem solved.

Oldphatdad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts