IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Subaru has 102k miles so its about time I change the timing belt/ water pump. Do I have to change the four pulleys and tensioner. Really don't wanna waste 250 for them if not nessasary. also do I need a new thermostat? thanks

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Pulleys...wouldnt worry bout unless u wanted to put an aftermarket pulley kit on. the tensioner is highly recommended but not necessary. my timing belt has been changed with stock tensioner left on there. Im around 101k miles now. Dont worry bout thermostat either unless its modified motor and u want the 160 degree t-stat from Grimmspeed

·
Registered
636 Posts
The belt tensioner I'd highly recommend as said above.

Thermostat, why not change it, it's like $15 and you're going to be down there anyway. While your at it, change your upper and lower radiator hoses. I had my upper bust at 70k leaving me on the side of the road 3 hours from home. They're like $20 each at the most.

The pulley's, you don't have to change them, but IMO I'd rather spend the extra $200ish on them rather than have one lock up and destroy the engine and have to replace that as well as. Would be kind of dumb to change $500 worth of parts only to have a $20 pulley ruin your engine cause you didn't feel like replacing it, just my opinion though.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
Never run a 160 thermastat.
Always replace the tensioner.
Stock parts, even the belts are best in this area.

I don't remeber paying $250 for puleys - more like $350 for everything - though that was years ago . . .

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
Replace your pulleys. I didn't and one of mine let go and let's just say that a brand new timing belt has easily enough strength to decimate everything in its path when it lets go. Destruction to the point where the crank pulley key was pulled sideways out of the crank. 1 shattered piston, 1 wasted head, 1 wasted crankshaft, and 1 inoperable STi.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
wow - and ouch!

and makes me feel very very very lucky that nothing was damaged even a little when my harmonic balancer separated recently !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts