IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awesome news !! More performance across all models, a new performance package with better brakes, visual tweaks ! Good stuff !

http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/956/1/subaru-brz-offers-enhanced-performance-updated-styling-features

SUBARU BRZ OFFERS ENHANCED PERFORMANCE AND UPDATED STYLING AND FEATURES FOR 2017

• Improved Performance and Handling
  • New Performance Package
  • Refined and Powerful Exterior Design
  • Updated Interior Styling and Features
  • Standard LED Headlights and Taillights
  • All-new Track Mode

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Russell,

Here's the info from Subaru's press release. Sounds like good stuff ! :tup:

Performance Package
The 2017 BRZ now offers the Performance Package for drivers who demand even more from a sports car. The Performance Package is available on the Limited model with the manual transmission and includes Brembo® calipers and larger rotors on both front and rear brakes. This advanced braking system gives BRZ a significant boost in stopping power, fade resistance, and pedal feel. SACHS® Performance shock absorbers are added to all four corners for improved ride and corning stability. Also included in the package are unique 17-in x 7.5-in black aluminum alloy wheels.
Nice i really like the new facelift, whats included in performance package?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I will be that guy and say that additional 5 hp isn't that impressive but I am really more interested in how/if they resolved the mid rpm range torque dip. When I had the BRZ it really felt like the car ran out of steam briefly until it came back but then I had to rev it past 5k all the time.

The final drive ratio change hopefully puts the car on par with ND miata performance (i.e high 5s to 60) and with the torque dip gone that would make the car more enjoyable.

I also like that Brembo is offered on all four corners vs just the fronts for Miata but will have to see the pricing on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I will be that guy and say that additional 5 hp isn't that impressive but I am really more interested in how/if they resolved the mid rpm range torque dip. When I had the BRZ it really felt like the car ran out of steam briefly until it came back but then I had to rev it past 5k all the time.

The final drive ratio change hopefully puts the car on par with ND miata performance (i.e high 5s to 60) and with the torque dip gone that would make the car more enjoyable.
While 5hp is negligible by itself, the addition of shorter gearing and a better mid-range will make a noticeable difference, I bet.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Just because its only a 5hp increase doesn't mean its only at peak. It could be 5hp almost throughout the power band. Which the torque dip gone. It should be pretty fun to fun to drive around.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look what I came across on the lot today ! :D
The 2017 looks great in person, and the screen in the gauges is cooler than I thought it would be.

·
Super Moderator
8,408 Posts
Everyone is going to put an intake, exhaust, and tune... So I'm not sure the additional tuning work they allocated really equates to a lot.

If they're STi sized Brembo's, it might be worth it... Depends on if the cost difference would pay for StopTech brakes or not. Suspension is also a commonly changed item so, I can't say I'm seeing more than a minor face-lift.

·
Registered
761 Posts
If they came with at least the wrx engine and brembo's I would be happy, I'm sure alot of S chassis fans (S13-15) would jump ship for a new turbo 4 manual with RWD.

Hell, I would think about swapping out my 15 STI for one if they came with some balls.

What they really need is a STI model with all the good bits, it would be be a niche market but no different the the WRX vs WRX STI.

I drove a few 86/BRZ's before picking up my STI, sadly I was extremely unimpressed with the standard car, and to bring it up similar performance as my STI it would have cost more than my STI.

I do think they are one of the best looking sporty cars on the market though, pity they cannot pull the skin of a custard.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I like it. :)

It's just too bad that after you add the performance package and trim level, you're pushing STI money.

Apple and orange comparison for cars, but yeah.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
If they came with at least the wrx engine and brembo's I would be happy, I'm sure alot of S chassis fans (S13-15) would jump ship for a new turbo 4 manual with RWD.

Hell, I would think about swapping out my 15 STI for one if they came with some balls.

What they really need is a STI model with all the good bits, it would be be a niche market but no different the the WRX vs WRX STI.

I drove a few 86/BRZ's before picking up my STI, sadly I was extremely unimpressed with the standard car, and to bring it up similar performance as my STI it would have cost more than my STI.

I do think they are one of the best looking sporty cars on the market though, pity they cannot pull the skin of a custard.
I personaly think they should NOT make it into an sti, but maybe build it with 15 wrx engine.
STi is a rallycar, this is not rally, there only one STi, and its been the same since begining, Aggressive, Practical, AWD sedan.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, everyone seems to want more power, not insane power, but just more than what's offered now. Maybe they think the aftermarket will take care of that though, and they can keep their great MPG.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
The MPG would definitely be appreciated over the STi. My car (and right foot) just drinks the fuel like the world is running out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts