IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: RE070 Destroyed

Hello All,
I took delivery of my 350Z in december...right around Christmas time. It was totally my dad's idea to get the Z - mind you, im 19, but I make enough money at my job to more than pay for my Z or an STi - So he surprises me with the Z and says that I'll be making the payments on it. I was totally aggreable with that, I mean after all it is a Z. So I've had it a year and been making payments on it. I love this car a lot for all its breakneck speed and handling capability. Ever since the WRX first came out I knew I wanted one. Something about the way the rex looks is just stunning. When I found out the STi was being released in the USA my stomach nearly dropped. I took a look at one in a dealership and had the chance to drive it. I really loved it. It wasnt nearly as noisy as the first year rex's, which was my cheif complaint. The power...well let's just say there was plenty of it. The fact that it has 4 seats, AWD and more than enough power is what attracted me to it. To me, it is much more feasible, and still satisfies my power/boost/handling cravings. I have a chance to get a new one in about a month or so, and I've been weighing the pros and cons of each. So really the question is do I keep my 350Z or get an STi? I know everyone here is biased, whether they want to be or not. He**, even I'm biased at some point. Please give me some good feedback to help me with my decision. THANKS!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Do you really think anyone here will tell you to keep the Z? IMO, the STi is a better car overall. More room, more power, etc...

·
Registered
188 Posts
DUDE!

I mean, dude!

dude :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Boston Z6s

This topic has been beat to death here and on other forums. Seem like you already listed a bunch of reasons to go with an STi. To me there is no comparison, a more purpose built 2 door sports car or a 4 door sedan with a usable trunk and AWD. A big question would be do you have to deal with snow in the winter. Of course we are all going to be biased, after all we all could have bought 350Zs but went with STis.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What's the Dilio with wheel spacers?

More power = more faster
More doors = more people
More driving wheels = more safer
and most importantly being teenagers...
More back seat room = more funner

Overall, I went with the STi

then again, you might like drifting......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies guys. I appreciate it. I know this is an STi forum lol I just wanted to hear some more of the STi side of the argument. I posted in a 350Z forum as well. Thanks for all the help. I'm definitely leaning more towards the STi. The only thing that concerns me is the pinging at 4k to 4.5k rpms. I'm sure not every single STi is doing it, but its still a concern.

Oh BTW, check out these stock STi dynos by Vishnu....pretty surprising

http://www.vishnutuning.com/sti_dyno.htm

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have 1500 miles on mine and not a single ping. I have hit redline a few times now. Don't sweat the detonation problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Z community says keep the Z...Go figure. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. The Z is really powerful enough for me. It's been really reliable and tons of fun. Drifting in it is a blast. The STi has a 5 person capacity, faster than the Z, and AWD. They both have kick A$$ styling. I also want to put about 10k into one of the two. They both have really good potential. a VQ35 running 7 pounds would be really nice, but then again, upgrading the stock STi turbo with a turbo-back exhaust, ecu and FMIC would be nice as well. Choices, choices.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39824

·
Registered
9 Posts
I say keep the Z if you like the car and do not need more then two seats.
Changing a car which you like so fast is just a big waste of ca$h. If you would be unhappy about Z I'd say different but you are so keep it and be happy. :)

-----
Edit for the rest:
Notice it's not about choosing 350Z over an STi but trading in a new, fun car for an STi. I would not feel good advising anybody to waste so much money.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
more funner = more getting some?
:)
good description though..

Samuelleeogden said:
More power = more faster
More doors = more people
More driving wheels = more safer
and most importantly being teenagers...
More back seat room = more funner

Overall, I went with the STi

then again, you might like drifting......

·
Registered
105 Posts
I considered, the Z, the G35 Coupe, the new Cobra, a Z06, and a Porshe 911.
All have their admirable traits, notably:
The Z and the G35 Coupe are drop dead gorgeous
The Cobra is a torque monster and easily modifiable for rediculous power
The Z06...well it's a Z06..'nuff said.
The 911...same as the Z06.

As all of these vehicles have adequate power and handling in decent weather, I threw that out of the equation.

Reasons I went with the STi?
Z--no back seat, can't drive in snow
G35 Coupe, can't drive in snow
Cobra..too much of a musle car for me...already have a 70 Cuda for that.
Z06, no back seat, can't drive in snow, resale is questionable.
911, tiny back seat, can't drive in snow, too expensive for what you get.

Now of course you can drive all of the above in the snow...just have to baby them...which you don't have to do with the STi.

As you can see, being in the NE is a prime consideration for me. Maybe you want take your location into consideration? No snow..keep the Z (they make monster HP with aftermarket SC)...snow...get the STi. Also may want to consider availability. In my opinion, the STi will be more rare to see and purchase, which ups it's value if you consider the "snob" factor.

Good luck with your choice.
Scott
please note...not desiring flames regarding this email and my assessment of the above vehicles. Your opinions may differ, and I respect those opinions 100%.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I also considered the Z for a little while but I realized that just two seats wouldn't work for me (among other things), especially for a daily driver. I like the looks of the Z and the cockpit is nice (althought the dash/knobs could be better), but to me the Z is a little overpriced for the performance you get compared to the STi. That's just my opinion, of course. Most dealers around my area still want nothing less than MSRP for the Z (one salesman even told me it was limited production LOL) which to me is way too much since for less money I can get a much better performing car in the STi.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Dude, Dude, Dude, what is your prob! Keep the Z and get a Subi too. The Z for attracting the girls and the Subi for you.

Besides I see a lot of G35's and 350Z's around here and very few STi's And most of the dudes driving the Z's have their noses in the air. Also a lot of girls driving Z's- never saw a broad driving a STi. :lol:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Norseman said:
Besides I see a lot of G35's and 350Z's around here and very few STi's...
no doubt! if exclusivity is important to you (it is to me), don't get the 350z. i did a 60mile road trip on friday for work. in that time i saw five 350zs. in contrast, i saw my first sti driving on the road last week; i have 5200 miles on my sti. (and this doesn't include the couple thousand miles i've done in my wife's car since i got my sti.) now *that's* what i'm talking about!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was in a similar situation although I had a 2001 Audi TT. I liked the TT a lot: excellent styling, decent performance, great interior, turbo and AWD. While I lived in Orlando it was a relatively "rare" car and I would get a lot of looks and comments, both from civilans and law enforcement (never got a ticket, thanks to a good radar detector)! After I moved to CT. the TT and audi's in general are like hondas; everywhere!

While I liked the TT, I recently sold it for the following reasons:

- "Good performance" wasn't cutting it anymore. I really want something that is absolutely balls out

- While I loved the styling both exterior and interior, and still think the TT is one of the most well-designed cars on the market, it was my only car. I don't drive all that much since I usually walk to work, but two seats can be a bummer sometimes. I found myself needing extra seats only about 10% of the time, but when you do, there really is no alternative and cramping adults in the back of the TT was quite nasty.

- I just couldn't bring myself to keep the TT through a New England winter. It would have been a grand or so to get snow tires on it, and with AWD I am sure it would have been fine, but I would hate to see it covered in salt and crap.

While I did love the styling of the TT, I'm looking forward to having "stealth" performance. I'm planning on de-winging and de-badging the STi. With the hood scoop and body I think those "in the know" will see it for an STi, while innocent 3-series, boxters, etc. will be at the mercy of that "little sedan." I also like that I can throw a roof rack on, and take a few buddies skiing in the winter (with snow tires of course) and not require replacing all my friends with midgets and/or contortionists.

One thing to watch is that you're likely going to get the shaft-o-la on trading in or selling your car if you decide to go that way. I was about $3K upside-down on the TT and sold to a private party (car was leased, which I will NEVER do again). The used car market sucks right now, although the Z may have enough "it's new" appeal to minimize the damage. To make up the damage I'm rolling in a bling bling 1991 nissian maxima with 3 or the 4 bose speakers blown. It's a downgrade, but it will make up for the $3K lost and allow me to save up a solid down payment.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again for all the comments everyone. I've talked with my father and he has actually decided to Buy the Z from me. He's just going to take over payments and give me back some of what I put into it. So basically I wont loose much money at all :D So I think I'm in the clear for getting an STi. Boost, AWD, and 3 ladies in the passenger seats....cant go wrong with that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts