IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, what a difference! This past week, I purchased the Armrest for my STI. A little pricey, but it really helps out alot w/ comfort, especially since I drive so much.

It definitely beats putting up my arm on the passenger seat. I highly recommend it for any "tall" or short STI owners 8) [/b]

·
Registered
105 Posts
dont think it matters to much, but for comfort, i have to say it is nice. but for using the side-brake, it gets in your way. much easier to pull it without it. i had several times that i pulled it and my elbow hits it or some part of my arm hits it. need that arm space.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If I'm ever doing something that might require the handbrake, I just flip the lid back. Leaves plenty of room.

But that doesn't happen very often....and I don't know what I'd do without it 95% of the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
true

the flipping back though, when making handbrake turns, it keeps on flopping around so it was VERY annoying, but again, thats only for 5% of the time ;)

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Don't use that armrest to brace yourself in hard left turns, though. It's pretty flimsy and the little catch for the lid pops right off when the thing flexes.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I was very skeptical to my armrest extension as it was on the car when i bought it, but I must concur that it is sweet indeed, flipping it behind you when you do need to use the E-brake works but as has been stated earlier you dont use the E-brake all the time.

:lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
odd - i had one on my WRX and hated it cause i always hit my elbow when i went into 4th gear. the shifter in the STi is taller (i had a voodoo on my WRX, and it was way lower than stock) so maybe i won't hit it as much. i took it off my WRX after about 5 min, so i still have it in the garage - maybe i'll install it this afternoon and see if i can deal with it again.... hmm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i am shocked at how much better the STi is with the same exact part that was in my WRX that i absolutely hated. how bizarre is that? i didn't hit my elbow once today, and was quite comfortable. in the WRX i was smashing it all the time with the lower shifter. consider me converted.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i was under the impression that ones elbow hits the extention on the 2-4-6 down shifts. i am a tall guy at over 6 foot, so i guess i will need something. does anyones elbows strike the extention during downshifts???

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I am 6' 2" and my elbow clears the armrest extension just fine. I have not run into any situation that it gets in my way. All I know is that it makes cruising a lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i think that we're forgetting something else that might have something to do with how well the extension works for someone - seat height.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i am shocked at how much better the STi is with the same exact part that was in my WRX that i absolutely hated. how bizarre is that? i didn't hit my elbow once today, and was quite comfortable. in the WRX i was smashing it all the time with the lower shifter. consider me converted.
.. Alright :) ....

I am 6' 2" and my elbow clears the armrest extension just fine. I have not run into any situation that it gets in my way. All I know is that it makes cruising a lot more comfortable.
I am 6'2 as well and I have no problems clearing the arm extension when shifting. Great interior add-on.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Will there be an '05 STi on the way?

i can't believe the dealer wanted $132 usd for one of these things!
i had a lojack and an alarm thrown in, but couldn't get his cheap @$$ to toss in the armrest.
hell, i'd rather have the armrest than the lojack, considering insurance covers me on theft anyway.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Mine is for sale (hits my elbow):
<url>http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=39088#39088</url>

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Does the extension attach to the lid of the stock one or it replaces it?

·
Registered
508 Posts
The armrest extension replaces the stock lid. It takes two phillips screws to change them out, and then you remove the center console cover (clips in and out) and change out the button for a latch, also two phillips screws. I think it took me two minutes to change them out.

-Nick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts