IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I drove the car around for about half an hour, and then I parked it for 45 min to have breakfast!
When I came out, started my car as usual, the CEL came on, and the Cruise light flashing!
Wonder what might of triggered that!

My mods:
Blitz BOV -- had that on for 2 months, no problem
Injen CAI modified to Short ram -- no problem for 2 months
Large K&N cone filter-- installed this past weekend to replace the HKS SMF filter!
DIY 6 pts ground kit -- no problems for 1 month!
HKS Carbon-ti cat-back-- no problems for 3 weeks!

Before, I was using HKS SMF filter, and the car was fine, good power gain with Injen piping! But on Sat, I thought I tried a large K&N cone on just to see if it would perform any better or worst!
But the car rough idles. Slowly fluctuate up and down the idling RPM between 300-1200! but it game me better boost! (max 18psi, then drop down to 16psi)

Do you think the ecu is detecting the engine is running too lean with the extra amount of air? or you think it's somthing else?

After those lights came on, I tried to shut it off and start the second time, it's still there. So I pulled neg- on batt. push brakes 8-10 times, let sit for 5 min, then put everything back together, and start... The Lights are gone!!
Will the code still be there after I pulled the battery, or do I have to get it scan and erase?

Any ideas and suggestions would be awesome!

sorry for the long post... I really gotta learn how to cut down the crap! :oops:

thanks for reading and replying!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
it was most likely the intake and the new filter. Put the stock box back on, reset the ECU and see if it comes back. OR have the code pulled from the ECU to help narrow the search down.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Also, check all your vacuum lines and the intake hoses(TMIC to throttle body). I have heard of people having these come loose.

·
Registered
112 Posts
get the engine light code :)

if u don't have those machines use the paper clip method
most probably it's the intake

p0171

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which mod first?

thanks for all the input...
I have a boost/vac gauge, I don't have any leaks!

I don't have any machines/scanners or such... so I can't pull any code..

What's the paper clip method?

·
Registered
112 Posts
better not teach u if u never heard of it
okay this is what i would do if i were u

1. remove negative battery terminal (must)
2. remove your intake, put the stock one back in
3. take out the MAF sensor and bring it indoors and spray it with carb cleaner then clean with a cotton Q tip, u need to be very delicate or else u'll break the pin.
4. u'll see how dirty it is since your intake isn't doing the job (or else u won't get a CEL)
5. wait till the MAF sensor is dried
6. put it back together with your stock intake
7. connect your negative battery terminal
8. u'll have a hard start to the car, then go drive it for about 20 minutes, be sure to go both on local and highway
9. start the car again, it should start good and everything should be fine
10. sell your fkin intake
:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cause the funny thing is... I use the HKS filter, it's fine!
but when I use the K&N... it bad*!

* bad means rough idles, all the above mentioned lights!

please tell me what the paper clip thing is about, is it like the GM paper clip thingy to reset ECU? or what does it do?

Would the Snap-On scanner tell me the code? or would I need a 2004 cartrige for the scanner to read!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts