IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Can all of you with CDT's in the front doors list what models you have, and what problems if any you encountered while putting them in? Also, will the Eurosports or HD's fit? It seems to me that they will if I use iaperformance spacers, given that they are less than 2.88 deep according to the chart on thezeb.com - but I don't want to buy these and have them not able to go in! Any help would be great...

TL

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've got HD-62/CF's. I used the IA spacers and had to chip in a couple extra washers and dremel the bolt in the window mechanism that gets in the way (it's all in the IA instructions). Door panels still fit fine.

I love everything about these speakers, BTW. They sound great, the price was right, and they're efficient. CDT's support was excellent, too, when I had a question about their power requirements they responded helpfully and almost immediately...on a Saturday, even.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is great news!!! Do you know if the Eurosports are bigger than the HD/CF's? Also, what about the HD non CF's... is there a difference in sound quality or size? How much power are you running to them? I have a Mcintosh 2x100 amp that I'm going to feed them. Can you describe their sound at all? Also, what kind of music do you listen to mostly on them?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I don't know how the Eurosports compare size wise to the HDs. You could probably drop CDT a line and ask them that. I would assume all the HD's use the same frame, so they're probably the same size. The CF's were quite a bit cheaper than the non-CF HD's...I paid $200 for the pair. I'm driving them with my Premier 4x50 head unit, no sub or rear fills yet, either. I plan to amp them someday, but I'm not a big hurry. The sound is clear and crisp, not at all harsh, nicely imaged. The bass is good--not boomy--but I will want a sub before too long. I listen to Americana, Brit pop, and miscellaneous rock. E.g., right now I've got Old 97's, Flaming Lips, Dandy Warhols, The Beautiful South, A Perfect Circle, Drive-By Truckers, and Robinella and the CC String Band in the player.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I dug this up - The HDCF's are 2.75 deep. The Eurosports and HD non CF's are 2.8175 deep. Same width. My question for you is if you think you could make the extra .0675 inch depth without an issue. Good taste in music by the way. I mainly wanted to make sure that you weren't listening to megadeth or techno 99% of the time or something like that.

So, you really had no problem getting yours in, except for dremeling the bolt? how close are the speakers to the door panel?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You're talking about a little more than half of a tenth of an inch...nothing a couple washers won't fix.

To keep the panels off the speakers, I screwed a few wood screws into the spacer, leaving them sticking out well past the surround. I covered the heads with foam sticky tape so they wouldn't buzz. No problems, once I got it figured out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, without the screws, you were getting contact with the panels? How much do the screws have to push the panel out to avoid contact? Do you think you could accomplish the same thing by dremeling part of the panel? BTW, do you have any dynamat installed in the speaker area that pushes it out more?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
what kind of SS brake lines have people installed?

Yes, without the screws, the panels rested on the surround in a couple places. That's going to happen any time you use 6.5" speakers and the thick IA spacers, and might happen with the thinner ones, too. The screws don't visibly distort the door panel--I just left them sticking out about 1/4" past the surround.

No, dremeling the panel won't help unless you're willing to remove a good chunk of the panel. There is a part of the panel you want to remove with a utility knife, though. It's in the IA instructions.

I have a sound deadening material installed, but not where it would have pushed the speaker out.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
No, that was my idea. After removing a door panel to fix a buzz, I saw that the surround was deformed by contact with the panel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts