IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've got a question for those that have downloaded the service manual (I can't do it because I don't have a broadband connection yet) I was wondering where and how mant cats there are in the exhaust system. ie. up-pipe cat, center cat, etc. I was looking at the scoobysport website and was wondering what parts I could buy with out playing with the cats and voiding the warranty.
And moderators I was unsure where locate this post. So if this is in the wrong spot please move it.

Thanks,
Jared

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sakura-iro

I would love to check my owners manual, but I don't have my car yet. Hopefully with in the week though. It's sitting in Delaware and I have to have it shipped to me in Texas. I got the call on Saturday the 19th that it finally arrived. Though, I thought that as long as you left the cats alone you change the up-pipe, or muffler without repercusisons. Not 100% sure though.

Thanks,
Jared

·
Registered
146 Posts
FYI, It is illegal in all 50 states in the US to remove any emission control device such as a catalytic converter. If you have to have your car inspected annually you will have to restore all cats. You can also be ticketd if an officer discovers your missing cats. :oops:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The setup is the same as the stock WRX except for the lack of cat in the uppipe preturbo.

There is NO REASON to remove/alter/replace the stock cats unless you are really getting into the power and even then a good high-flow will suit just fine. People who go removing cats for no reason should be forced to suck on their tailpipes till they pass out from the poisons they are releasing.

Back on topic! ;)

You should be fine finding an exhaust setup that replaces the cats with high flow units or avoids changing them altogether. As far as I know, all of the turbo back setups have the high flow cats in them and cat-backs....well, cat back so you don't remove it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
People who go removing cats for no reason should be forced to suck on their tailpipes till they pass out from the poisons they are releasing.
But i don't wanna do that. That would suck. :wink:

I don't have any cat-less cars anymore. I sold my Type R awhile ago and i sold my beloved 500hp RX-7 to an out of state gent 3 days ago(sweet jesus i miss that car so bad already). So i no longer have any cars running cat-less. But when i catch 2ner fever again next spring, who knows what i'll do to my STI. I doubt i will go totally cat-less this time though. I have been reading about these new amazing JASMA passing exhaust systems in my Japanese car mags. The most recent issue of REVspeed(no.151 july 2003) has a fantastic article (pgs. 18-27) about what is and isn't legal in Japan when it comes to street drivable mods. Then from (pgs. 28-35) is an amazing article about the newest wave of catalitic converters being used in Japan. These incredible cats are basically a straight pipe when it comes to flow/restriction but they are still somehow within legal guidelines. Some of the biggest tuning houses are already using them(Metalit,nismo,zero/sports,hks,a'pex,blitz,fujitsubo and 5zigen). I can't wait for these pipes and exhaust systems to come here. Cat-less performance with cats installed rules!! Peace!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts