IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the turboxs catless stealthback with stock axleback. It sounds like poop. (blat, buzzing, no rumble)
I used to have the rfl-ti axleback. Better sound, no buzzing, a little rumble, a little blat, too raspy.

My question is: Can I get a nice deep rumbly exhaust tone without the cat?

I am thinking of buying a catback adapter pipe and getting a catback with a resonator but I don't know if it will sound right. I do not want to change downpipes. People have told me that you can't get that deep sound without a cat. Others say all I need is a different muffler. 1st hand experience appreciated. Sound clips would be amazing.

·
Registered
619 Posts
G200
so deep

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Don't you love how they locked your thread on Nazioc?
I just can't warm up to that site...

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
^^yeha iwsti is home to me

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, obviously unabomber has had a bad day...I've been using the search function for hours and it just isn't enough sometimes. I guess I'll just use nabisco when I want to buy or sell something from now on.

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I think you'd be happy with either the Cobb, Stromung, Daddys, or Borla Hush.

Everything else if I remember correctly is a canister style and will be pretty loud.
People say the Greddy Evo 2 is quiet, but it's really not..
At idle and mild cruising it's quiter than something like the Blitz Nur Spec or Invidia N1 Race, but once you get on it it'll get pretty damn loud, especially if you're catless.

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
I'm catless with the Borla XR-1. I don't think it goes blat, but it does have the sweetest rumble. rumbly bumbly. Like bubbling mud. Wonderful!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hello Es-Ti-Aye Not sure how old this post is. I have a Skunk2 cat back, with only a reuseable filter in the stock airbox, plus a new APS BOV and I get PLENTY of lowdb rumble. Just another option.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool. The rumble is hard to maintain once you go catless. When you get a catless downpipe look for this thread and tell me how that skunk2 sounds, I'd be interested.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just to throw another opinion in there- I had a Perrin catless DP on my WRX, with the Hayame Gen-2 Catback, and I've never heard another Subie rumble like mine did. It was a clean sound, no blat, no fartcan, just a low beautiful tone.

Of course it was loud as hell all the time, freeway drone, idle, all the time. It shook our entire house when I pulled into the garage. My wife hated it! But the way it sounded at WOT still brings a tear to my eye...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts