IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many cats the STi has. I think there is one on the downpipe, which I am thinking of replacing. If the STi has another cat, will it be ok to remove the one on the downpipe and go with a cat less DP? I believe all they do in my county (Bexar county, texas) is visually inspect your cat to make sure it doesn't leak.

Also, my father-in-law just got a new porsche monday. He got the 911 carerra convertible-2004. And he only paid $92,000 for it...He took me for a drive in it, and I was unimpressed. The STi is quicker than his car, but he did have a navagation system, porsche name, german engineering, leather seats, etc. Afterwards, I took him for a ride in the STi and he was amazed. He had never heard of an STi before, and was pretty impressed. His car is very nice, don't get me wrong, but so is the STi.

Let me know about the cats...

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Removed-selling on E-Bay

the STi has two cats which can be replaced with a catless downpipe. This is not legal in any state, but you can do what you wish ;)

Be advised that with a catless downpipe you run the risk of the boost creep problem that everyone else gets unless you port the turbo wastegate. There are many threads on this subject. I would recommend you read up before re-posting more of the same questions.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Davidsk5018 said:
I was wondering how many cats the STi has. I think there is one on the downpipe, which I am thinking of replacing. If the STi has another cat, will it be ok to remove the one on the downpipe and go with a cat less DP? I believe all they do in my county (Bexar county, texas) is visually inspect your cat to make sure it doesn't leak.

Also, my father-in-law just got a new porsche monday. He got the 911 carerra convertible-2004. And he only paid $92,000 for it...He took me for a drive in it, and I was unimpressed. The STi is quicker than his car, but he did have a navagation system, porsche name, german engineering, leather seats, etc. Afterwards, I took him for a ride in the STi and he was amazed. He had never heard of an STi before, and was pretty impressed. His car is very nice, don't get me wrong, but so is the STi.

Let me know about the cats...
Yup xman is right, both cats are in the downpipe... as for boost creep. Porting the wastegate is the only cure for it... HOWEVER, a catless downpipe and stock exhaust (catback) will probably not cause boost creep (as long as you go with a good quality dp aka: godspeed). If you go with like the HKS downpipe or the DPs on ebay that have a tiny opening then you may still have boost creep. good luck!

Robert~

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read up on the subject, and I know that most of the people that get boost creep are cat back exhaust systems, not the DP. With the perrin DP, for example, that will not be a problem. 8) [/quote]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts