IW STi Forum banner

121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SMT Class STi - COTA Bound

Can't see the images either!

Sounds like an excellent experience though!

The RE71R's didn't hold up well then? I've been looking to pick up a set for my car for weekend/fair weather cruising and light track use.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)

Can't see the images either!

Sounds like an excellent experience though!

The RE71R's didn't hold up well then? I've been looking to pick up a set for my car for weekend/fair weather cruising and light track use.
Try using this web album: https://goo.gl/photos/h9KGNiiYfXKSjuEz8

Yeah, my tires have a few autocross events worth of tread left it appears.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #124

This is the first time I used them aside from some street scrub in. I'd estimate 300 - 420 miles at Cota. Each session was about 28 - 35 miles depending on traffic and I ran 12 sessions.

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts

My rooducts did excellent btw, was able to avoid boiling some Motul 600.
Yep, like I've posted before, they make a world of difference. Glad you had fun, one day I'm going to do CoTA indeed I will.;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SM Class STi - LeMons Racing!

Unofficial Results.

12th overall
6th in class

https://www.race-monitor.com/Results/Session/5695160

We actually could have done much better, but we did super short stints on Saturday to let everyone have a chance in the car before it blew up. It never exploded, so we did maximum stints on Sunday and did about 132 laps in 6 hours, including 2 fuel stops plus driver changes. Which basically tied what we did on Saturday for 8.5 hours of racing.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)

I've got an HPDE end of month with Driver's Edge at MSR Houston. Never ran with these guys before, but hear good things. Myself and another guy on the LeMons team is headed out there to try and learn the track before our event in November. He has a Cayman S, which I was able to chase around Circuit of the Americas earlier in the year.

Right now I am sort of falling out of autocross, as we lost our lot. Everyone is setting up about 1.5-2 hours away from me, only 30mins from the locals. Plus the new event location doesn't seem to care about putting on decent events and charges us huge amounts. Anyway, bitching and moaning over. Just doing as little autocross as possible now. Trying to focus on LeMons for my racing fix.

Swapped in some Carbotech XP12's into the front. I've been having trouble with the DS3000s, especially at COTA.

New rotors are on the way for this weekend, as my current DBA's are toast. They have some extreme uneven wear. I actually had them turned down, but at this point all the slots have disappeared.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #130 (Edited)

Driver's edge is one of the more packed groups I have ran with. They put my buddy and I into the blue run group, but essentially every sessions was pretty heavy traffic. I'd pit about twice a session to build space. Watching the other groups it looked like red and the instructor group actually had pretty good flow.

The classroom session reminded me of many other "intermediate" groups. The driver's all just bitch and moan about how everyone else is slowing them down and not giving points. Really negative confrontational attitudes that are irritating, the instructor rightfully told them it wasn't a race. I drive in some of the more advanced groups with other HPDE schools and know that the cooperation is much better in the "experienced" groups.

XP12 pads did extremely well. MSR-H isn't as demanding at COTA, but I was able to get them extremely hot and they never had issues with uneven wear or fade.

My RE71R's are thoroughly dead. Three days of COTA and 2 days of MSR-H. Next time I'll try some Rival S.

It was a little disappointing to never have a clear lap over the entire weekend, but we got to learn some things about the track in preparation for LeMons.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Sorry to hear about the other drivers. The HPDE I did a few weeks ago had pretty crowded run groups as well, but everyone was respectful for the most part. There was a C63 AMG that was driving very aggressively in the novice group I was in, but other than that there were no issues.

RE-71R's don't seem to be a very long-lasting option based on your feedback and what I've heard from others. Great grip, but quick-wearing.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #132

It might just be my driving plus a heavy car, because they still look brand new on my buddy's Cayman S. Maybe he was driving smoother/easier.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #133 (Edited)

Just got back from MSR Houston's LeMons race. Check our team facebook for lot's of pics. "Team Too Soon Junior"

Saturday one of us spun the car and couldn't get restarted. It required a tow back to pits, and into the penalty box. GP090110 - YouTube

Sunday one of us pass on curbing breaking a wheel and blowing a strut. We swapped on a spare wheel/tire. GP040111 - YouTube

We ended up P4 in B-Class and P11 overall.

24 Hours of LeMons - MSR Houston 11/13/16 - Carl Race Start - YouTube

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Re: Carl's 05 SM Class STi - Compression, how low can you go?

It was about time for timing belt service, but figured I should get a leakdown and compression test. The car has 98k hard miles on it and is starting to seem a little down on power on straights, as lower HP cars are keeping up.

Welp, compression is in the 125-130PSI range across all 4, leakdown was in the 6%-8% area. Very even wear which is nice, but definitely tired.

Right now I've got 3 options
1. OEM Refresh, sell car for some other track thing that I cannot ever decide on
2. OEM Refresh, keep running it for track use
3. Have an engine built for track use and run something like the 71HTA or that 18G XTR with the 7cm. I'd target about 350whp and fast spooling.

Either way I am going to start running 100 octane when on track for extra protection.

If you guys have some turbo suggestions let me know. 71HTA, 18G XTR 7cm, and Dom 1.5 have been kicked around.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

It was about time for timing belt service, but figured I should get a leakdown and compression test. The car has 98k hard miles on it and is starting to seem a little down on power on straights, as lower HP cars are keeping up.

Welp, compression is in the 125-130PSI range across all 4, leakdown was in the 6%-8% area. Very even wear which is nice, but definitely tired.

Right now I've got 3 options
1. OEM Refresh, sell car for some other track thing that I cannot ever decide on
2. OEM Refresh, keep running it for track use
3. Have an engine built for track use and run something like the 71HTA or that 18G XTR with the 7cm. I'd target about 350whp and fast spooling.

Either way I am going to start running 100 octane when on track for extra protection.

If you guys have some turbo suggestions let me know. 71HTA, 18G XTR 7cm, and Dom 1.5 have been kicked around.
I'm going to go out there and say those numbers are pretty ideal considering the mileage and in no way indicate that a rebuild is necessary. Unless you're looking for an excuse to build, in which case it's definitely screwed. :cool:

6-8% leakdown is really good for the mileage, a brand new build is usually around 5%.

125-130 psi compression isn't abnormal for a STi, that's where mine was before the build (I lost head gaskets, car ran as strong as ever). Keep in mind that different compression test gauges may read differently, which is why it's important to pay more attention to the variance between cylinders than how high the numbers are.

That said, the 71HTA can't be beat for the price. Two good friends of mine have made the switch to the 71HTA and are very happy with it. One is at 365/350 on Pure Tuning's Mustang dyno on 93, the other made a little less but his tune is more conservative.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #136

Yeah, the wear was super even which made me happy. Just seems a little on the tired side. Guess I COULD save some coin and keep running it on track.

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts

I'd personally run it until it needs replacing, but build a motor on the side. Makes for an easy swap when the time comes with minimal downtime.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #138

Been busy with USPSA and two LeMons races so far this year.

I do more wheel to wheel now than HPDE, so doing some crazy STi build just isn't a priority yet. I'll run the car until it needs engine work. Sunday decided to start replacing the belt and water pump. Used two company 23 camlock tools to make the process super easy.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Re: Carl's 05 SM Class STi - Ain't nobody got time fo dat

Finally getting some time in the STi. Wife and I are registered for an HPDE at MSR Cresson October 14th. Bought a used set of Rival S tires from a Subaru owner in Baton Rouge.

To do before the HPDE
-Rear left wheel bearing (old outer race is basically stuck in the knuckle, so replacing the knuckle too)
-Transmission fluid
-Rear rotors
-Rear pads
-Bleed brakes
-Inspect the front brakes

Next LeMons race is November 11th. Still got a lot to do for the car, as we are converting the rear to use MK4 VW spindles, hubs, brakes, etc. These are much thicker and do not flex as easily. The Rally America guys do this conversion, so I bought some nicely CNC'd adapters from a rally dude. Our rear main seal is also leaking on the car and it tends to get on our clutch at inopportune times, so those both need to be changed before the next race.

Just got the engine rebuilt on the Trueno Sprinter, so need to install that, do break-in, make sure everything is good with the car and sell it. Just don't use the car much anymore and priorities have shifted to wheel to wheel. Plus my Skyline satisfies the cool RHD car need for now.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Back from the track. Uncommonly hot day, about 90 degrees most of the sessions. The car's stock heat exchanger wasn't cutting it. The oil ended up also heating the coolant, so both were rising on me.

Guess I'll be adding an external oil cooler to the car before the next HPDE, since I cannot count on the weather.

121 - 140 of 143 Posts